What gear do you wear? | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

What gear do you wear?

Kurt, no matter what pants I'm using, whether they're $100 or $1000, the first thing to go is the knee armour. Pull it out and throw it in the closet or even the trash.

I'm not sure what you mean by "an armour sleeve insert".

Get yourself some sort of tube type strap on armour, worn directly on the knee, completely independent of the pants. It's comfortable and is always in the correct position. Any brand should do, will likely cost under $100. If you're wearing really high boots, make sure the armour isn't so long it will interfere.

Something like this:

View attachment 51376

Or this:

View attachment 51377

Or this:

View attachment 51378

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll look into it. What I meant by a sleeve is something like the tube type strap that you have suggested without the armor, as I recently upgraded all my armor and have a pair Forcefield Isolation knee armor lying around, that I can use with the sleeve.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll look into it. What I meant by a sleeve is something like the tube type strap that you have suggested without the armor, as I recently upgraded all my armor and have a pair Forcefield Isolation knee armor lying around, that I can use with the sleeve.
Don't get the dirtbike ones that look like shinpads, with straps for under your pants. They shift around and restrict your movement.
iu

I wear those armored knee guards with the straps when I go dirt biking. They get really hot and sweaty underneath the pads and straps.

For the street, I much prefer the armored pads (D3O) that insert into pockets inside the pants, so no straps that go around the leg.

Personally, I can't see myself wearing knee guards strapped to my legs for 10+ hours a day over multiple days on a long tour.

Personally, I can't see myself wearing knee guards strapped to my legs for 10+ hours a day over multiple days on a long tour.

Yep, that might affect some. Perhaps I'm fortunate. I can wear 'em all day, all conditions, no bother.

Don't get the dirtbike ones that look like shinpads, with straps for under your pants. They shift around and restrict your movement.
Are you speculating or have actually used them.??
The hinged knee ones stay in place extremely well - far better than any in pant design.
No hinge and I'd tend to agree with you - they shift down the knee.
O'Neal Pumpgun are very light, very cool with excellent protection and don't move. The hinge moves easily and the inside padding has a donut to take pressure off the knee cap. I also can wear them for hours tho I admit I like the D3O armour - buying some Level 2 for the new riding pants.
pump-gun-2_0e159e65-40ef-4977-82bb-c971e0e83dfb_x500.jpg

Anything in a tube will be hot...these are tolerable. Long thin socks help.

The hinged knee ones stay in place extremely well - far better than any in pant design.
O'Neal Pumpgun are very light, very cool with excellent protection and don't move. The hinge moves easily and the inside padding has a donut to take pressure off the knee cap. I also can wear them for hours tho I admit I like the D3O armour - buying some Level 2 for the new riding pants.

Tried them on a ride to Alabama. They kept slipping and then shifting.
I have the exact ones I pictured. Bought them when I saw you had a set.
If you have hints how to keep them in place, I'd be most happy to hear them.
The elbow pads worked much better.

edit: What works better for me at the moment is turning the existing CE knee pads upside down.
It seems to actually catch my kneecap then, both when it's bent and extended.

Last edited:

I have worn guards similar to these. Infact when I started riding, a pair of such knee gaurds is what I purchased to wear over jeans for a few years before buying an actual riding pant.

For me they worked just fine. However, I have never tried them under riding pants. Was your experience with them over a pant or direct to skin under pants?

Last edited:
Dainese jackets, RS Taichi gloves, and Puma street boots (which they stopped making, ugh). Klim kodiak pants for any long or touring rides, perfect part of the 2 piece ensemble for sport and aggressive riding.

Or the occasional wife beaters and jogging pants to keep it real.

These arrived today

1633648272659.png

First impressions - Tried them on under my riding pants for 5 mins on the bike. Fit well, and the key thing is that they feel comfortable under the Kodiaks. That was my biggest fear, so I am a bit relieved that they don't tear against the fabric. What remains to see is how they behave on long rides. Whether they stay in place, tied over an inner liner, or slip down, requiring adjustments in intervals.

The build quality is excellent. Strong, sturdy outer plastic. CE Approved. The double pivot assists in seamless knee movement and adds to the comfort.

Not too impressed though with the strap hinges though. I fear they will unhinge inadvertently. Also, definitely not for walking off the bike!

Will update this thread after a few rides.

I started out riding a Harley road glide.
Harley Davidson Huston boot (water proof & comfortable)
speed & strength weathered leather jacket
speed & strength leather gloves
bell 1/2 helmet
royal branded leather chaps for colder days (used twice)
pm me if interested in any of this gear cheap

moved on to an adventure bike
Forma Adventure boot (amazing boot)
alpinestar wake air jacket for hot days (amazing jacket)
fxr mc adventure 3 season jacket (amazing jacket if you can get one, it’s discontinued)
torque adventure pants (cheap is about the only good thing)
not waterproof or vented in anyway
Ktm radical X gloves (meh) Really long thumb
speed and strength cruise missile (meh street helmet)
bell mx9 adventure helmet clear and dark tint (love it) but it’s loud.
fox goggles (not sure which ones)
cardo pack talk slim on both helmets (must have)

Well just picked up the Klim Latitude pants today at GP.
😳 man they sure are proud of their product aren’t they😳
sure hope they live up to the expectations.

may head out tomorrow morning for a loop and see how waterproof they are

I really like mine, but have yet to ride in any significant rain with them. I've been told they keep us very dry.

I really like mine, but have yet to ride in any significant rain with them. I've been told they keep us very dry.

My Klim Latitude stuff has kept me 100% dry through multi-hour long torrential downpours. It's good

Let me know how the Klim Latitude does in the heat.
I ended up getting Olympia because it's got the 1000 denier cordura in spots.

Let me know how the Klim Latitude does in the heat.
I ended up getting Olympia because it's got the 1000 denier cordura in spots.
Since I currently own an Olympia X-Moto jacket, there is no way the Klim Latitude can compare to the ventilation of the Olympia. But that said, as a result of opening up the large panels of the Olympia, there is a significant loss of protection in the event of a get off. The Klim also has a waterproof shell while the Olympia has an internal waterproof liner that must be worn separately, so the shell gets soaked and heavy.

I did ride with the Klim on some 30deg days and the way the ventilation is set up on the Klim, I think it will be good enough because the vents are placed in very useful spots. When it gets up to 35, I think the Klim will be pretty uncomfortable.

Since I currently own an Olympia X-Moto jacket, there is no way the Klim Latitude can compare to the ventilation of the Olympia. But that said, as a result of opening up the large panels of the Olympia, there is a significant loss of protection in the event of a get off. The Klim also has a waterproof shell while the Olympia has an internal waterproof liner that must be worn separately, so the shell gets soaked and heavy.

I did ride with the Klim on some 30deg days and the way the ventilation is set up on the Klim, I think it will be good enough because the vents are placed in very useful spots. When it gets up to 35, I think the Klim will be pretty uncomfortable.
The big question is what is the unmentioned material and mesh made of, and how much protection will it provide.
I believe that the older X-Moto you have, has 2000 denier cordura in the high abrasion zones,
the Klim has 840 denier in the high abrasion zones.
Neither mentions what's in the "other" zones, or how good it's protection is.
I ended up with the Olympia Dakar 3, which has 1000 denier cordura,
and ballistic airflow mesh, whatever that is, for under $400.
The latitude goes for nearly $900, so it had better be really, really good.

I had thought about Motoport, which seems more protective & well ventilated,
but it's probably around $2000 for a jacket, and they seem to be out of hi-vis.

Easier to stand in the shower with the gear on for awhile. Find out quick.

Easier to stand in the shower with the gear on for awhile. Find out quick.
But not as fun.
I had some rain today and stayed dry. I had a base layer on and stayed mostly warm enough in 7 degrees In Algonquin park. Coming down 28 I was stopped in the sun and temps got up to 12. Not warm enough to try the vents so I don’t know what they will be like in heat. I also stayed upright today so no crash review. This was just the Klim Latitude pant not jacket.
For a jacket I was wearing my trusty FXR MC Adventure with the insulated liner in and a tee shirt. Warm and dry after 3 years and lots of all weather use. FXR made a spectacular jacket and then discontinued it. Shame 🤷‍♂️

The big question is what is the unmentioned material and mesh made of, and how much protection will it provide.
I believe that the older X-Moto you have, has 2000 denier cordura in the high abrasion zones,
the Klim has 840 denier in the high abrasion zones.
Neither mentions what's in the "other" zones, or how good it's protection is.
I ended up with the Olympia Dakar 3, which has 1000 denier cordura,
and ballistic airflow mesh, whatever that is, for under $400.
The latitude goes for nearly $900, so it had better be really, really good.

I had thought about Motoport, which seems more protective & well ventilated,
but it's probably around $2000 for a jacket, and they seem to be out of hi-vis.
Good points about the type of denier in the abrasion zones and other areas. The Klim fabric feels pretty robust throughout, so yeah, I hope it holds up. I specifically got it for the waterproof exterior shell.

As for Motoport, I have a Kevlar mesh suit from them and did go for a 50ft slide in it on my trip to BC and it held up very well. I’d say worth the money for sure, but I do agree it’s quite expensive. It’s extremely ugly gear though, but very comfortable stretch fabric to wear with very beefy armour. I keep that as my backup suit or suit for insanely hot rides only.

Back
Top Bottom