What gear do you wear? | GTAMotorcycle.com

What gear do you wear?

shanekingsley

Curry - so nice it burns you twice
Site Supporter
The old saying goes "buy the best gear you can afford at the time".
I have been slowly trying to buy better gear over the years. Most folks who have been riding for a few years, have multiple sets of jackets, pants, gloves, helmets and boots (all for different purposes). It's a never ending process. I have come across amazing deals online where people buy some gear, and realize it's the wrong size and sell it super cheap... or the brand new gear sits in their closet for a couple years after they gave up riding, so they sell it super cheap.

That said, this is not a thread about ATTGATT or criticizing other people's choices of gear. I was more hoping to help others read some first hand accounts of the gear people wear to better inform them of the choices out there - since there are so many choices out there it can be overwhelming. That sort of help is how I have come to own all the gear I love to wear right now. Since all my gear is now black, I also have a good quality hi-viz vest to wear when it's raining out.

So post up what you have and maybe it helps a newer rider or someone looking to upgrade:)

Jacket/Pants: I just picked up the Klim Latitiude and it feels amazing on and there's lots of pockets! It's Gore-Tex clothing, which hopefully means no more external rain gear to take on trips, but I'll have to test this stuff out to see for sure. The idea I like about the Gore-Tex is keeping the outer shell dry, while still allowing some degree of breathability. It's very well made gear with clear attention to detail. It's heavy on the hanger, but feels snug and comfortable to wear. It has the D30 armour in the higher impact zones, which allows for a more fitted design while providing excellent protection for the street. One thing I really like about this set is that there is a lot of adjustment that can be done, depending on how I decide to layer underneath. So from wearing t-shirts and shorts to wearing my heated gear underneath, this gear can always fit snug.
Klim-Latitude-Jacket-5146-002-000-1.jpg

latitude-pants-black-5147-003-342-000.jpg

Helmet: Currently using a Shoei GT Air 2 helmet and absolutely love it. The shorty windscreen on my bike causes a full wind blast to the helmet and this feels excellent moving at speed with very little resistance. The internal sun visor is really smooth to operate and overall it's a very quiet helmet. It's a bit heavy compared to some of the helmets without internal sun visors, but I don't get a sore neck/shoulders after a full day of riding, so it's still just fine for me in this regard. The speaker cut outs are perfect for the bluetooth communicator and the ventilation is really good in the helmet. The build quality feels excellent.
gt-air-ii-emblem-helmet-matte-black-gta2emblm-5-1-snl.jpg

Boots: I was wearing the Daytona Evo Sports boots for some time, but they weren't waterproof. So I picked up a pair of the Daytona Roadstar GTX boots (GoreTex again). These offer slightly less protection than my previous boots, but are better suited to how I ride, since the Roadstar GTX are waterproof and super comfortable to walk around in. Very good build quality with these boots and truly waterproof.
daytona-roadstar-gtx-gore-tex-boot-001-black.jpg

Gloves: And finally, for my primary riding gloves I bought some Dainese 4 Stroke Long gloves. They feel like a second skin when on and are by far the most comfortable gloves I have owned, next to some of my old pairs made by Held. I always want gauntlet gloves that fully cover my wrists. They have just the right amount of protection for the riding I do and do not feel bulky at all. I really like the tactile feeling these gloves give me of my levers and throttle. Gloves seem to wear pretty fast, and these are currently holding up extremely well, so I think I will buy them again when they wear away.
dainese-4-stroke-long-gloves.jpg

Happy Riding:)

Last edited:
I got the GT Air II at the beginning of this season and I'm not too impressed. The shield release mechanism is very difficult to work, even after a lot of practice, so I just leave the shield on all the time instead of removing it each time I clean my helmet like with my previous helmet. In fact I think this is the worst shield release mechanism I've ever seen on any helmet I've owned. The shield also doesn't close as smoothly as my old helmet, and feels more flimsy. The build quality is good, but no better than my last helmet which was half the price. I like the rachet strap instead of double d rings, I can easily buckle/unbuckle it with a gloved hand. The helmet came with a pinlock insert which I put in and just keep in there all the time, I don't see any reason to ever remove it. For cleaning the helmet after a ride, I use Plexus and a microfiber towel. I probably wouldn't be this critical if the helmet was cheap, but for this price I expected better. I bought it cause people on this forum were raving about how great Shoei's are, but I don't think this helmet is any better than ones you can get for less than half the cost and I doubt I'll buy another Shoei again.

I got the GT Air II at the beginning of this season and I'm not too impressed. The shield release mechanism is very difficult to work, even after a lot of practice, so I just leave the shield on all the time instead of removing it each time I clean my helmet like with my previous helmet. In fact I think this is the worst shield release mechanism I've ever seen on any helmet I've owned. The shield also doesn't close as smoothly as my old helmet, and feels more flimsy. The build quality is good, but no better than my last helmet which was half the price. I like the rachet strap instead of double d rings, I can easily buckle/unbuckle it with a gloved hand. The helmet came with a pinlock insert which I put in and just keep in there all the time, I don't see any reason to ever remove it. For cleaning the helmet after a ride, I use Plexus and a microfiber towel. I probably wouldn't be this critical if the helmet was cheap, but for this price I expected better. I bought it cause people on this forum were raving about how great Shoei's are, but I don't think this helmet is any better than ones you can get for less than half the cost and I doubt I'll buy another Shoei again.
Very interesting. What helmets did you have before?

I don't ever take the visor off for cleaning it, but I can see how that would be frustrating. I also agree that the main visor shield doesn't move up and down as rigidly as the first gen version of this helmet - it feels a lot smoother as it moves from notch to notch, almost to the point of feeling flimsy. One thing they did improve though on this version is that the main shield can be lowered and held in place just a notch above fully closed to allow air flow in. The previous version of this helmet had that first notch way too high up and it allowed too much air in. I've had poor experiences with the pinlock, so I left mine out and have never used it. I totally agree that these are not cheap helmets and anyone buying them should really feel they are getting their money's worth for what they are looking for in a helmet.

For me the one thing I actually dislike about the GT Air 2 helmet is the move to the ratchet straps - I prefer the old double D ring style because those work better with the helmet lock I have on the bike.

Last edited:
Just some info regarding gear and reasonable prices. Not sure how many people are aware. There is a store in Oshawa that buys and sells used gear in good condition. They also sell some new gear from lesser known brands. I had some gear likes gloves and pants that didnt fit well and was in almost new condition. Instead of dealing with the hassels of trying to sell online . I sold it to Re Gear. Now I know I could of gotten alot more for it if I had sold it myself. But for me the convience was worth it.
Although I didnt buy any gear from the store., I did look around and alot of the inventory they had was in good condition and very reasonable rices. Excellent place for someone on a tight budget or new rider.
Highly recommend. They also had alot of new Klim stuff at cheaper prices than elswhere.

Not sure what you are comparing it to. My Bell DLX Mips was about half the price of the Shoei. The Bell transitions shield wins for solving the early or late ride problem of changing light, but the lack of a pinlock resulted in some unwelcome fogging. My main shield never fogs on the Shoei. It is also quieter than the Bell and more comfortable with nicer pads and liner. Seems a bit better at slipping through the wind with less buffeting. And I've never had an issue operating the slide for the drop down visor. Practiced it for like 30 sec before the first ride and it's been a piece of cake since. If there's a better helmet than the Shoei at less than half the price I'd sure like to know what it is. I'll add it to my wish list.

Forgot to mention the name. Its call Re Gear.

Back to OP's original discussion.
I have a few setups depending on weather. But generally.
Shoei RF 1200 helmet with Transitions visor was considering GTAir but felt alot heavier. So with transitions visor it did everything the GT Air did and was lighter.
Alpinstars leather jacket.
Sidi boots.
Alpinstars Gloves , Icon gloves.
Knox knee armour strapped on legs under pants.
Resurgence Kevler Jeans
Cheap home depot reuseable ear plugs . Helps alot with wind noise. Especially when doing anything over 80 km/hr.

Last edited:
Do they pay fair prices for used gear? I got a dainese leather jacket in like-new condition that I paid $500 for that I never wear anymore cause I prefer textile, but I don't want to bring it there if they'll only gonna give me $20 or something for it.

Do they pay fair prices for used gear? I got a dainese leather jacket in like-new condition that I paid $500 for that I never wear anymore cause I prefer textile, but I don't want to bring it there if they'll only gonna give me $20 or something for it.
They will mark it down quite a bit cause they go through all work to sell it. But I beileve they also have a consientment optiion. Where you agree on the selling price and they can sell it for you at a cost.
You can always contact them ahead of time to get an idea if its worth it for you.
In my opinion for new riders on a very limited budget. Its a good place to go. As far as selling goes. For me it was more of a convienience. I had gear (pants , gloves , jacket) that I wasn't using and couldn't be bothered with the whole kijji stuff. For example I had gloves that I only used once , paid over $100 for them. They were sitting in closet for years. I think they gave me $40 . So I didn't care . If I knew someone that wanted them I would of just given it away. So don't expect much for gear. It's more of a convieniece thing if that matters to you.

Klim Latitude jacket (previous gen) - Absolutely adore it. Fits perfectly, 100% waterproof, lightweight, vents well, D30 armour, zero complaints outside of the high-viz is permanently dirty and faded.

Klim Latitude pants (previous gen) - Same positives as the jacket except the fit. They are unbearably baggy, to the point that I am embarassed to wear them. The jacket is a fantastic slim athletic fit, the pants remind me of the 90's.

Held Evo Thrux gloves - Great gloves, kangaroo palm gives great feel.

Klim Badlands GTX gloves - Bought them as a waterproof glove but they are way too thick and bulky, don't feel too comfortable riding with them because of that. They are waterproof the few times I've used them in rain though.

Aerostich Roadcrafter R3 Light - Super practical, but not a huge fan. The fit is extremely baggy at my behind. I bought it used so it's not a custom fit, but not sure Aerostich could fix it based on the design lacking a stretch panel on the back. Besides that, the stitching on half of the velcro has failed and it now leaks terribly. It was 100% waterproof for a few years though. Maybe this winter I'll send it to Aerostch for a rebuild.

Dainese TRQ-Tour Gore-tex boots - Comfortable, waterproof, feel like they would do ok in a crash. A little squeaky at times when walking

Schuberth C3 helmet - Doesn't vent super well, but is also super quiet because of that. Pinlock visor was great at fogging when new, but doesn't seal anymore. Also not a huge fan of the decrease in light transmission and duplicate light reflections at night from the visor. Has a weird pressure point that leaves a V on my forehead, common Schuberth complaint. Needs to be replaced, not sure what to get next, may get another.

Warm & Safe everything - Fall is right around the corner, heated gear makes life better. Great stuff and a fantastic company behind them. The wireless dual troller is a godsend. Some of their stuff was sold through Firstgear and Powerlet brands at some point and could be found at a heavy discount.

to piggyback on @250R-ICE there's a similar store in Ayr (just west of Cambridge) called 2nd Gear open Wednesday to Saturday...the owner Carol Ann is a rider and she also raises money for a young girl with several disabilities through a fund called Graceful Paws...she put together a calendar of women riders Real Women that Ride Calendar and I was actually picked as one of three ladies for June 2019...it's a cool place...

-Arai Signet-Q
-Dainese 4 Stroke shorties
-Alpinestars leather jacket, forget the model. I upgraded the protectors with CE level 2 stuff.
-8 and 10 hole Docs (sue me)

My gear is worth more than my bike.

I have an Alpinestars Andes V2 jacket and a Valparaiso Pants. Bought the jacket on black friday last year, the pants 6 years ago. I upgraded the armour to the Forcefield Isolation Level 2 armor for the elbows, shoulders & knees and D30 L2 for the back and hip. Both the jacket and the pants are pretty comfortable to wear.

The gloves I wear are the Alpinestars Celer that I bought 6 years ago. I do have a non-motorcycle specific heated winter gloves that I carry in my tank bag during cold morning starts.

For boots, I have the Roadstar GTX from Daytona.

The helmet is an 7 year old AGV KSV3 that I absolutely adore. It's starting to become a little loose so I'll pick up another one this or next year.

I am looking to upgrade the gloves. Considering the Klim Adventure GTX gloves.

Also looking for a new pair of pants. I have on me a Klim Kodiak that I got on a closeout from Fortnine. It's extremely well constructed and has top notch abrasion resistance a.k.a aramid panels and leather toppers, at the right locations. Comes with suspenders (which I want) and level 2 impact protection all round.

However, I may return them. I have sat on the bike a few times and tested the comfort. I am not too impressed. They are quite heavy (owing to the 3 layer goretex pro construction), and owing to the lack of stretch panels at the knees, the armor tends to dig in. Moreover, the placement of the amor is un impressive. It tends to slide to the inside of the knees owing to the fact that the pockets are too big for the armor they hold. Not too confident of them protecting me in case of a crash.

..I'll keep looking..

I have a specific riding jacket/pant/glove combination for all sorts of temperatures and weather from -15°C to +45°C. But if I'm going on tour and can only bring one set of gear, I'm all about the layering.

I have a mesh layer with armour that provides basic crash protection. It's good for hot weather up to 45°C.
If the temperature dips below 15°C, I can wear a sweater or base layer underneath.
If it gets colder than that - down to single digits - I can put a windproof/waterproof jacket over that.
If it gets below 0°C, I can put an electric jacket underneath that.

I find the All-In-One suits with all the zippers you open for ventilation and the waterproof inserts are terrible for all temperatures. Too stifling when it's hot, not warm enough when it's cold.

This my current list:

- Dainese mesh jacket, similar to the current Air Frame jackets. It flows a ridiculous amount of air. Feels like you're not wearing anything at all.
- BMW Airflow pants, mesh inserts in the thigh and back of the calf.
- Dainese Mig C2 ventilated gloves
- Aerostich waterproof Triple Digit overglove covers
- BMW All Round boots. Waterproof and the best pair I've ever owned, I've bought 4 pairs over the last 20 years. They are now called the Cruise Comfort Boots.
- Warm'n Safe electric jacket liner and gloves
- MEC packable waterproof/windbreaker - packs up to the size of two decks of playing cards.
- MEC Drencher waterproof overpants for cycling
- Uniqlo HeatTech base layer, like warm underwear, top and bottom
- BMW Buff

I have a few sets of gear, different for summer and cold.

Helmets:

RF1200, don't use it much anymore
Scorpion Transformer, great fit, great comfort wear it when I don't feel like a full face. Only thing I don't like is the tiny windpath thru the ear padding sometimes causes an earache.
Schuberth C3 hi-vis- my go to, love it. Quiet, comfortable. The only knock is the low forehead interferes full lens eyeglasses.

Jackets:
KLIM Dakar for summer. Great ventilation and comfort.
TECHNIC 4 season for cold weather. It's getting old but you can't beat it for comfort, element protection. I live my KLIM summer jacket but traded my cold season Klim for the Technic's better structure and element control.
Resurgence armored hoodie for buzzing around town.

Pants:
I prefer jeans over riding pants, I'll wear pants when it's really cold or when I'm planning time on dirt highways.
Joe Rocket for pants. No particular reason.
Looking at REVIT Sands for my next set.

Boots:
I like Wolverine Wellington boots. comfortable, tough, and you can walk all day in them when off the bike.
Looking at Fomra Lows as my next set (can't close the high booths around my calfs).

Gloves:
Weiss shorties for the summer
Noname Thinsulated gauntlets for cold weather.
Keep some nitriles in under the seat when it's rainy and for roadside work.

Raingear:
Don't normally wear it, but I have a highvis 3M rainsuit I'll take for longer trips.

I got my license last year, so I'm just starting to upgrade the gear I bought for my training course.

Helmet: Picked up a Shoei RF1400 a month ago after starting with a cheap HJC Cl-Max 3 modular helmet. Fits great, super comfortable, lightweight and fairly soundproof. It was pricey but I'm very happy with it. The HJC was a great value helmet, but heavy and loud.

Jacket: Alpinestars T-Core Air Drystar. It's a mesh jacket that comes with a removable waterproof liner. I actually wear this year round - with the waterproof liner in and enough layers, I can ride into November. Thinking of buying a dedicated colder weather jacket though, maybe next year.

Gloves: Alpinestars Copper gloves. Can't complain, they're mesh, look good and are comfortable. I froze last year wearing them into November, so I just ordered some Icon Stormhawk gloves for cold weather/rain gloves.

Pants: Riding jeans made by an Italian company called PMJ. I can't recall the model I have, but they're a single layer with the kevlar woven into the jeans. They also have knee and hip pads. They look good but I usually only wear them in the colder months (they block wind very well) or for longer rides...regularly jeans are fine for shorter trips.

Boots: Dainese Street Darker. I'm lazy and typically just wear running shoes unless I'm going on a longer ride, but I really like them. They look great and have goretex, would highly recommend.

I have too much gear. I also don't generally buy well-known brand names because they're overpriced IMO. However, here is my go-to gear for each bike:

ADV: Schuberth C4 Pro with bluetooth stereo and com unit.
HD: Akouri Terminator half helmet.

Jackets:
ADV: HWK ADV wind/waterproof jacket with removable liner, wipe-out padding.
HD: Pakistani oiled leather Schott's Perfecto knock off jacket. Lined, padded. Leather still offers the best protection in a slide IMO. Gerbings heated under-jacket for long-haul cold rides.

Pants:
ADV: HWK wipe-out padded overpants, waterproof. Volero wipe-out padded Jeans for warmer weather. Lined ski pants for cold weather.
HD: Jeans for regular summer riding. Lined jeans for Fall riding. HD leather chaps for cold weather riding.

Boots:
ADV: Forma Adventure waterproof oiled leather boots.
HD: Canada West short oiled leather engineer boots for summer. Leather harness boots for colder weather.

Gloves:
ADV and HD: Pakistan leather gloves from Toronto bike show (I have several pair, very comfortable) for summer riding. For cold weather, lined doe-skin gauntlets. They're 37 years old, I don't know who made them but they beat anything sold today. Gerbings heated leather gloves for very cold riding.

Raingear:
ADV: Oxford one piece rain suit that I carry with me most times while commuting to work. Works really well but it's a pain to put on because the zippers get caught in the fabric too easily. Not recommended.
HD: Costco construction workers two-piece hi-viz rain suit. Easy to put on and take off. Puts all other rain suits to shame. Solid zippers, thick fabric that doesn't get caught in the zippers. Drawback is it takes up more room than most rain suits. Rubber gauntlets for those really wet rides.

Odds and ends:
- A zipper-front leather vest to wear under the leather jacket on cool rides. A Mark's lined duck vest for really cold rides. Amazingly effective.
- Bristol leather neck protector for long, cold rides.
- Tube scarfs. Always carry one no matter what the weather. If not, large handkerchief/bandanna.

Bear in mind it took years to build up this wardrobe. You buy these things as you need them. Most people are fair-weather local riders and only need basic summer riding apparel.

Few years back I had a cruiser, sportbike, and track bike so I had a array of gear for each. Purged last year before we moved and sold 3 jackets and two helmets.
I went with a 3-season waterproof jacket which works great for how I ride/tour. I currently use:
Technic Violator race suit (1-piece)
Knox back protector
Alpinestars GP-Pro glove
Alpinestars SMX2 Air glove
Alpinestars S-MX Plus boots (vented)
Alpinestars S-MX1R boots
HJC RPHA 10 helmet
FXR MC Adventure jacket - bought on recommendation from another member here and this jacket is really good. 900D shell, waterproof, removable liner, level 2 armor, tons of vents and pockets, true 3-season coat. FYI it's discontinued as FXR stopped their street wear line to stick with offroad/snow but if you're a size small you can get one at Royal for $250 regularly a $800 jacket.

Cooler weather or really sporty riding I wear the SMX-Plus boot, GP Pro glove (guantlet) otherwise I usually wear my shorty SMX air glove with shorter SMX1R boot. Most of these items (helmet, gloves, boots) are all the 2-4 time I've bought them as they are comfortable, have good protection, and work better than others I've owned and I've owned a lot of others.

most of my **** is cheap lol.

helmet : bell blackout qualifier or various biltwell ECE helmets i have
gloves: scorpion bixby gloves and my trusty cheap ass z1r reaper gloves
summer jacket : revit eclipse air jacket
fall jacket : a custom leather jacket
pants: knox brighton cordura jeans
shoes: TCX waterproof moto shoes

Back
Top Bottom