What did you do in your garage today..? | Page 47 | GTAMotorcycle.com

What did you do in your garage today..?

They work really well. I've had one hanging for 10 yrs.
I just bought a heatpump/AC minisplit for the apt above the garage. While specing the thing out, the sales guy suggested to go dual zone, one zone for upstairs, and another for the garage/workshop. Cost an extra $400 for the upgrade.

Got the engine out with yesterday's nice temps.

To avoid damage, it is a two man job but of course my Buddy that committed to drop over for the final lift out, failed to show....:mad:
Finally got the top end rebuilt, new gaskets and seals.

Took advantage of yesterdays mild temps to bolt it back in and test it out.

All good....(y)

I need to rebuild some vintage Mercury race outboards this winter so may be moving it out to make more room in the garage so if any interest, shoot me some offers.

Attachments

• xl500.3.jpeg
    xl500.3.jpeg
    26.1 KB · Views: 27
  • xl500.6.jpeg
    xl500.6.jpeg
    28.1 KB · Views: 32
  • xl500.4.jpeg
    xl500.4.jpeg
    27.7 KB · Views: 30
  • xl500.7.jpeg
    xl500.7.jpeg
    21.6 KB · Views: 28
  • xl500.5.jpeg
    xl500.5.jpeg
    28.4 KB · Views: 27
  • xl500.8.jpeg
    xl500.8.jpeg
    28.2 KB · Views: 27
  • xl500.10.jpeg
    xl500.10.jpeg
    26.4 KB · Views: 26
Finally got the top end rebuilt, new gaskets and seals.

Took advantage of yesterdays mild temps to bolt it back in and test it out.

All good....(y)

I need to rebuild some vintage Mercury race outboards this winter so may be moving it out to make more room in the garage so if any interest, shoot me some offers.
What kind of outboards do you build? I think I have a pair of '61 Super Hurricanes 22's setup L&R. No twist controls, I ran the pair on an 11' hydro cat. My kid took them a few years ago, I'm pretty sure they are sitting in his shop. Any idea what they would be worth (they ran strong the day I stored them)?

Mercs? The Tower of Power?

The other day I built a birdfeeder for 10 bucks using a dollar store wicker basket and oval plastic dish for a "roof" and a few scraps of wood. Installed on top of a stainless steel pipe out in the back yard, along with a cone shaped squirrel deterrent. So far, tons of birds....juncos, cardinals, blue jays, mourning doves, white/black woodpeckers, chickadees and finches....the squirrels rummage around on the ground beneath, probably right p**** off they can't climb up and raid the goodies.

The other day I built a birdfeeder for 10 bucks using a dollar store wicker basket and oval plastic dish for a "roof" and a few scraps of wood. Installed on top of a stainless steel pipe out in the back yard, along with a cone shaped squirrel deterrent. So far, tons of birds....juncos, cardinals, blue jays, mourning doves, white/black woodpeckers, chickadees and finches....the squirrels rummage around on the ground beneath, probably right p**** off they can't climb up and raid the goodies.
I love feeding the songbirds, but don't anymore. The rodent population skyrockets with the mess under the feeders.

Sold the DL650 and rearranged the two sheds. Need to fit 3 more bikes in as the shop is moving and down sizing by 3000 square feet. No room for personal projects.

rnyHfXk.jpg

I love feeding the songbirds, but don't anymore. The rodent population skyrockets with the mess under the feeders.
I love watching the squirrels try to get up the metal pole after we spray it with PAM. Those mother effers are hilarious as they scramble up only to slide back down.

What kind of outboards do you build? I think I have a pair of '61 Super Hurricanes 22's setup L&R. No twist controls, I ran the pair on an 11' hydro cat. My kid took them a few years ago, I'm pretty sure they are sitting in his shop. Any idea what they would be worth (they ran strong the day I stored them)?
Predominantly the Hurricane and Super Hurricane engines from the '50s and early '60s.

As far as value, a lot depends on their condition. Most of my customers are from the US where there is high interest in restoration of them.

Be prepared for a squirrel population explosion. My wife loves birds, we get tons of them. Sooner or later the squirrels in our yard defeat any deterrent, we've tried cones, grease, bird spike strips wrapped around the pole... they just figure them out.

This winter a big maple adjacent to the house has 7 squirrel nests, there are another 10 in other trees in our yard. The little buggers dig flower beds when burying and recovering nuts, fight (they are racists - the blacks fight the greys, fight the reds all day long), and some get bold enough to jump up and scratch the screens when there is no food in the feeders.
1641561879065.png

Be prepared for a squirrel population explosion. My wife loves birds, we get tons of them. Sooner or later the squirrels in our yard defeat any deterrent, we've tried cones, grease, bird spike strips wrapped around the pole... they just figure them out.

This winter a big maple adjacent to the house has 7 squirrel nests, there are another 10 in other trees in our yard. The little buggers dig flower beds when burying and recovering nuts, fight (they are racists - the blacks fight the greys, fight the reds all day long), and some get bold enough to jump up and scratch the screens when there is no food in the feeders.
View attachment 52812
Have you tried this?
squirrel-baffle-bird-feeder.jpg

I'll be ordering this:

I'm going to put it in the loft in my garage so I won't have to crawl around with a flashlight in my mouth whenever I need to find something hidden away

Laundry room, not garage. Clothes dryer died, no heat.

Wife: it’s over 15 years old, all the plastic is faded, it served a good life, let’s replace it.

I figure it can’t be too hard, take a crack at it. Pull all the panels off, dig into diagnosing.
Thermal fuse ok
Thermostat/cutoff ok
Control boards seem to test ok
Heating coil….. open line/no continuity. Ahah. Pull it out, coil physically broken (assuming age/cycle fatigue).

Amazon, $40 and a few days later, we’re back up and running.

Feels good keeping an old appliance going for cheap. Wife is also ‘satisfied’ with the money saved (although not so subtlety disappointed about not getting a shiny new one)

Wife: it’s over 15 years old, all the plastic is faded, it served a good life, let’s replace it.

I figure it can’t be too hard, take a crack at it. Pull all the panels off, dig into diagnosing.
Thermal fuse ok
Thermostat/cutoff ok
Heating coil….. open line/no continuity. Ahah. Pull it out, coil physically broken (assuming age/cycle fatigue).

Feels good keeping an old appliance going for cheap. Wife is also ‘satisfied’ with the money saved (although not so subtlety disappointed about not getting a shiny new one)
The disappointment of not getting a new one is quickly forgotten if she had gotten a new one and it was beyond economical repair every five years for the rest of your life. Good job.

The disappointment of not getting a new one is quickly forgotten if she had gotten a new one and it was beyond economical repair every five years for the rest of your life. Good job.
My dryer has a manufacture date of 1997 still visible on one of the tags, and $30 in parts every decade or so keeps it going.

My dryer has a manufacture date of 1997 still visible on one of the tags, and $30 in parts every decade or so keeps it going.
The dryer gave up at the in-laws cottage and they were going to replace it. I changed the belt and they are back in business. The thing is probably from the 70's. That was the first maintenance it has required in 15 years.

Well I don't mind the 4 or so squirrels I have been seeing but if/when the moles/voles start moving in and tunneling into the yard around the feeder, then its coming out. This happened down at Mom's out in the stixx but for some reason I don't think we have voles/moles here in Sauga, too many predators maybe...?

Thermal fuse ok
Thermostat/cutoff ok

Yup that feeling of satisfaction can put you in a mighty fine mood. I did the same with the furnace a few years ago, was able to figure out it needed a new pressure switch.

Yup that feeling of satisfaction can put you in a mighty fine mood. I did the same with the furnace a few years ago, was able to figure out it needed a new pressure switch.
My last furnace repair involved removing the plastic cup which fit very nicely into the exhaust pipe. I was thinking faulty pressure switch based on codes but it turned out to be much simpler and another "learning opportunity" for the monsters. I don't know how people that aren't handy can afford kids.

Back
Top Bottom