What did you do in your garage today..? | Page 86 | GTAMotorcycle.com

What did you do in your garage today..?

How much mileage do you get out of a full tank? I didn't use any of the spare fuel I brought when I did the JBR. I had close to 3 gallons. But I have a 6 gallon tank. Maybe you don't need to bring so much extra fuel.
its' a 18L tank including the reserve - it does about 220 km up to reserve which is about 4.5L so may be I'll just take a 10 litre spare tank which will give me another 200 km .. With extra weight , wind etc the bike will burn more gas.

For some reason I've been thinking about getting an arbor press. Amazon and PA sell them for about $100. There are a few things I could get done on the bike for it's use like bushings, maybe bearing etc.
Its this a good tool to have in the line up?

For some reason I've been thinking about getting an arbor press. Amazon and PA sell them for about $100. There are a few things I could get done on the bike for it's use like bushings, maybe bearing etc.
If you’re going to use it yes. If you’re not it’ll just take up space.

Trust me I know the allure of tools that ‘I’ll use eventually’.

If you're not using it often, a good secure bench vise and some steel slugs works for many things. In a production environment an arbor press can pay for itself in the first day with rapid cycle time.

Edit:
Also not ideal but a drill press can also work in a pinch for many light presses.

If you're not using it often, a good secure bench vise and some steel slugs works for many things. In a production environment an arbor press can pay for itself in the first day with rapid cycle time.

Edit:
Also not ideal but a drill press can also work in a pinch for many light presses.
My thought, it would pay for itself with first use. To take the part into HD or indie with a shop rate of $100+ is practically the cost of the press.
Back burner stuff, I'll let it simmer a bit more...

As @GreyGhost said, a quality bench vise is a much more versatile tool and will be able to do 90 percent of your arbor press jobs.
Takes up less space as well.
If you are ever in need of an arbor press, hit me up. The drawback is I am on the other side of the city from you.
You guys have any links to bench vise? I'm more visual for things.

You guys have any links to bench vise? I'm more visual for things.
rec6_1.jpg

Like almost everything else, older and bigger is better. Estate sales are good. I picked up a decent size made in canada vise for $50. Come up with a system to attach it solidly to something heavy. Could be a workbenches, could be into the trailer hitch on your car.

There are some nice to have features like split nuts for rapid size changes that you probably wont find on most older vises but meh, you're not doing production.

BFE7EA7B-9D6D-4BA4-BEE0-4A5F4E6200B4.jpeg
Had the front of the Odyssey including fenders and roof front covered in XPEL film as I was tired of touching up rock chips. Thought about doing it myself but had a pro do it instead as the film ain’t cheap if I muck it up.

rec6_1.jpg

Like almost everything else, older and bigger is better. Estate sales are good. I picked up a decent size made in canada vise for $50. Come up with a system to attach it solidly to something heavy. Could be a workbenches, could be into the trailer hitch on your car.

There are some nice to have features like split nuts for rapid size changes that you probably wont find on most older vises but meh, you're not doing production.
There's this place up in Perth that has a lot of stuff that we probably didn't know we couldn't live without.

I know it's a long way for some, but it would be a nice ride this coming week.

Mr. Burns, a vise is far more useful.

I suggest 4" or 5". Some folks will steer you towards a fixed base, but a swivel base is very handy. I've had one on my bench for twenty years, it has never slipped.

Something like this 4" one from Crappy Tire, $86.99: General PDP Template

mastercraft-4-vise-with-locking-swivel-base-a9276c7f-75e0-4352-946d-027a48bfb114.png

You'll use the Arbor press once. A bench vise will be used everyday.

Agree with all on the bench top vise. One of the most used tools in the shop. Every job is easier when the work piece is secure. Plus it can always fill in for the world's biggest adjustable wrench (albiet stationary so you gotta be able to rotate the part....)

rec6_1.jpg

Thanks (and, everyone else) I have one of those, it was my dad's. But I'm not sure how I would use it to push in/out bearings and bushings with it being horizontal?

Thanks (and, everyone else) I have one of those, it was my dad's. But I'm not sure how I would use it to push in/out bearings and bushings with it being horizontal?
Reorient part. Vertical/horizontal just change work holding, the press is the same. Drill press to start could secure bearing to housing and then drive it home in vise. What parts are you trying to press bearings into? Something like steering head bearings would be a prick with an arbor press too.

Post pics of vise. Family heirloom tools are awesome. I may burgle my dads at some point for nostalgia but they arent good, that line of tools will start with me. I've got a record 3 in the basement, 4 swivel qr in the garage (both not vintage but still from made in England days) and a henry 5 from the estate sale.

Back
Top Bottom