What did you do in your garage today..? | Page 85 | GTAMotorcycle.com

What did you do in your garage today..?

My coolant temp gauge was acting up with the needle bouncing all over the place, and most of the time with no reading at all. Pulled the boot off the thermistor, and the terminal practically fell off. Squeezed it with pliers and reattached, now its working consistently again. It's always nice to fix a gauge problem without having to buy a new gauge or sensor.

................ although I ended up replacing the rear end because I did't know about the special moly grease requirement for the splines..............

Unfortunately, many people owning the ST1100, ST1300 and the GW get screwed over on this as even Honda dealers apply the wrong moly paste to the splines. Moly 77 is not the same as Moly 60, even though Honda dealers would tell you it is.

I'm still considering another bike. Getting a little tired of dealing with constant hiccups. I was chatting with a goldwing (2007 version) rider yesterday and the only thing he has replaced in so many years of riding is a air filter and tires.....not even brake pads... with 130,000 k on the bike.

Not sure if I will buy something this season as is getting late and I've got some other expenses going on so it might be pushed until next year. Still looking around though.
I have a 76 Wing I picked up from a neighbor. He had full-service records, in 60K and 40 years all that was done is fluid changes, tires and brake pads. For safety sake, I replaced the timing belts (1 hr) and checked/set the valves (1hr). I rode a 2000 GL1500 for a while, it had 160K on the clock and was about the same, the only thing I had trouble with was the goofy reverse lockout mechanism and quite a bit of slop in the shift shaft -- which I fixed with a $50 aftermarket shifter brace. The neighbour replaced the Wing he sold me with a '14 GL1800, since he retired he piles the miles on that thing, it's been bulletproof too.

There are pros and cons to both. A Wing will certainly reduce repair costs. If you're into 'soul', the GLs fall short -- the engine runs and sounds like a smooth sewing machine (maybe a bit more if you go Valkyrie). In stock form, GLs will outperform and out comfort HD.

Did the belts look just like the ones you took out? I replaced mine too but they looked good enough for another 100K.

You never want to have "worn out" timing belts.
I was talking to a neighbour. He has a CRV with 550,000km on it and is contemplating doing a timing chain. I laughed. Drive it 'til she blows at this point. He said he is getting a price and if it can be done for $300 he will do it. I am interested to see what number he gets. I am thinking four to five times his budget.

Did the belts look just like the ones you took out? I replaced mine too but they looked good enough for another 100K.
Mine were from 1976, they looked fine. No cracks or frays, my concern was age - my riding style challenges bikes, I figure the old girl didn't deserve to get blown up over $50 worth of geriatric belts so I treated her to new ones.

Changed the cabin filter on the old Mazda today at 281,000km. I've changed it once around the 80,000km mark. It was as bad as you'd expect. Up next is trans fluid, coolant, plugs, and front brakes.

Changed the cabin filter on the old Mazda today at 281,000km. I've changed it once around the 80,000km mark. It was as bad as you'd expect. Up next is trans fluid, coolant, plugs, and front brakes.
Might be time for a new ride lol.

1663850306268.png

Was hoping to install a new rear sprocket to bring it back to stock teeth, so i ordered a sprocket and chain kit that fits my bike, but forgot the previous owner put Marchesini wheels and the sprocket that would have fit no longer fits.

To top it off, marchesini makes a 5 bolt pattern with different dimensions so it's so hard to source a sprocket thats compatible. I finally found one and ordered it so my bike has to sit like this presumably while the last few good riding days are going on. Another bonus is the place I ordered the kit from may not offer me a refund for the rear sprocket only because it was sold as a kit.

Morals of the story:
1 Italians complicate everything
2 Just keep things stock and you won't have problems.

View attachment 57632

Was hoping to install a new rear sprocket to bring it back to stock teeth, so i ordered a sprocket and chain kit that fits my bike, but forgot the previous owner put Marchesini wheels and the sprocket that would have fit no longer fits.

To top it off, marchesini makes a 5 bolt pattern with different dimensions so it's so hard to source a sprocket thats compatible. I finally found one and ordered it so my bike has to sit like this presumably while the last few good riding days are going on. Another bonus is the place I ordered the kit from may not offer me a refund for the rear sprocket only because it was sold as a kit.

Morals of the story:
1 Italians complicate everything
2 Just keep things stock and you won't have problems.
3 Be happy it's not German.

Have been reading all the threads by sburns , privatepilot , the BMW group and so many others of their trips to James Bay. At age 75 I don't have an iron butt as I have to empty my bladder and fill up the tank of 2003 Honda VTX 1300 every 90 minutes or 2 hours. Now I got the JBR bug for next year.

So today , I improvised to attach a 20 L gas container on the left side of the bike. Not to good with computers so lets us see if I can down load the photo. Sorry says uploaded file is too large for server to process. (Will have to ask one of my kids (adults) to do it for me. ) Finally got it over.

Attachments

• IMG_7002.jpg
    IMG_7002.jpg
    190.9 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
Have been reading all the threads by sburns , privatepilot , the BMW group and so many others of their trips to James Bay. At age 75 I don't have an iron butt as I have to empty my bladder and fill up the tank of 2003 Honda VTX 1300 every 90 minutes or 2 hours. Now I got the JBR bug for next year.

So today , I improvised to attach a 20 L gas container on the left side of the bike. Not to good with computers so lets us see if I can down load the photo. Sorry says uploaded file is too large for server to process. (Will have to ask one of my kids (adults) to do it for me. ) Finally got it over.
Good on ya. Been up the JBR a couple times if you have a specific questions.

I'm no expert, but I'm not sure a standard 20l gas container is all that safe to strap to the side of your bike. Rotopak makes gas containers in various sizes albeit much more expensive.

Fuel Containers

I'm no expert, but I'm not sure a standard 20l gas container is all that safe to strap to the side of your bike. Rotopak makes gas containers in various sizes albeit much more expensive.

Fuel Containers
I considered Rotopaks but they are expensive. I am getting second thoughts on the location of the gas container - Pain to get in and off the bike and for balance - most probably will strap it on top my gear and tent - considering using my 3 gallon plastic outboard container - it low and flat and will siphon the gas .

I considered Rotopaks but they are expensive. I am getting second thoughts on the location of the gas container - Pain to get in and off the bike and for balance - most probably will strap it on top my gear and tent - considering using my 3 gallon plastic outboard container - it low and flat and will siphon the gas .

20L of fuel would weigh close to 35lbs!

You'd be pretty over-weighted on that side. Unless, you're balancing the same amount on the other side in the panniers, I'd expect some handling issues. On top would be more centralized and a better location.

How much mileage do you get out of a full tank? I didn't use any of the spare fuel I brought when I did the JBR. I had close to 3 gallons. But I have a 6 gallon tank. Maybe you don't need to bring so much extra fuel.

How much mileage do you get out of a full tank? I didn't use any of the spare fuel I brought when I did the JBR. I had close to 3 gallons. But I have a 6 gallon tank. Maybe you don't need to bring so much extra fuel.
@sburns is spot on. In both my trips up we didn't need gas (only needed it for the Trans Taiga side trip). I don't remember but the longest gap was something like 360kms. How much extra gas would you need to make that distance?

Back
Top Bottom