What did you do in your garage today..? | Page 50 | GTAMotorcycle.com

What did you do in your garage today..?

I have a 30+ year old Craftsman snowblower that runs very well. Got 90% of the work done Tuesday and the auger stopped working. Belt chewed up and off the pulley, reinstalled and worked for 10 minutes and off the pulley again. PITA, finished with shovel.

New belt on now. Takes < 5 minutes to pull the belt cover and inspect the 2 belts, will have to add that to my annual PM process, if I had inspected in April last year belt would have been replaced in advance of failing.
I replaced both belts last year. Auger belt I burnt because of a iced up frozen auger. Lessons learned.
This cable was just a fluke that snapped where it goes around a wheel. Wheel was also worn so I ordered both parts. Wouldn’t have found that cable on an inspection. Just one of things that happens. Older unit but mostly works awesome.

Put this together from a door sweeper, some banding & a computer stand, so I can read while on the elliptical.
BC6lRlBl.jpg

Put this together from a door sweeper, some banding & a computer stand, so I can read while on the elliptical.
BC6lRlBl.jpg
Been thinking of doing something similar on my treadmill. Once the wife moves all her stuff off it, that is...

Been thinking of doing something similar on my treadmill. Once the wife moves all her stuff off it, that is...
Here's what I did for the treadmill. Put some wood and L brackets together with some padding for a keyboard/mouse shelf.
R9uEh6Ul.jpg

I was lazy and used parts I had kicking around for the bike setup. I need a taller/wider shelf for the speakers so I can ditch the risers. Sounds pretty good though. The second amp runs a sub behind the camera. TV has a fire TV cube (meh, I like chromecast better) or gets input from an old laptop on a table by my left hand. Often zwift on TV plus music through speakers, occasionally, run riding software on laptop and netflix on TV. I need to finish the rocker plate. That will necessitate speakers raising at least another 4" so at that point, I'll need to revise the shelf as I'm already pushing limits on junk stacking and stability.

I was lazy and used parts I had kicking around for the bike setup. I need a taller/wider shelf for the speakers so I can ditch the risers. Sounds pretty good though. The second amp runs a sub behind the camera. TV has a fire TV cube (meh, I like chromecast better) or gets input from an old laptop on a table by my left hand. Often zwift on TV plus music through speakers, occasionally, run riding software on laptop and netflix on TV. I need to finish the rocker plate. That will necessitate speakers raising at least another 4" so at that point, I'll need to revise the shelf as I'm already pushing limits on junk stacking and stability.

I setup the wife's Tacx Neo, lean platform and big screen this weekend. Didn't know the lean platform was sprung using garden tractor innertubes - guess that's my test for tonight. Sadly their app doesn't support for Chromecast, so there's a bit more figuring out for me.

I have a 30+ year old Craftsman snowblower that runs very well. Got 90% of the work done Tuesday and the auger stopped working. Belt chewed up and off the pulley, reinstalled and worked for 10 minutes and off the pulley again. PITA, finished with shovel.

New belt on now. Takes < 5 minutes to pull the belt cover and inspect the 2 belts, will have to add that to my annual PM process, if I had inspected in April last year belt would have been replaced in advance of failing.
I used a big hammer on my Craftsman snowblower yesterday. Looks like the 'obstruction' is no longer an issue.

The skids are fairly rusted so they may have bent with time. If it starts doing it again I'll look into replacing the skids, or just use my COSTCO cashback cheque for a new snowblower.

@GreyGhost you got a pic of the entire setup? Not just the front of the bike?

I setup the wife's Tacx Neo, lean platform and big screen this weekend. Didn't know the lean platform was sprung using garden tractor innertubes - guess that's my test for tonight. Sadly their app doesn't support for Chromecast, so there's a bit more figuring out for me.
I am assuming the rocker plate is rock only and has no glide? Most people start with the tubes a little stiff and keep dropping pressure as you get used to it. Final pressure will be really low (a couple psi probably). Use a weight to statically balance the plate instead of differential pressure in the tubes.

I used a big hammer on my Craftsman snowblower yesterday. Looks like the 'obstruction' is no longer an issue.

The skids are fairly rusted so they may have bent with time. If it starts doing it again I'll look into replacing the skids, or just use my COSTCO cashback cheque for a new snowblower.

@GreyGhost you got a pic of the entire setup? Not just the front of the bike?
Use your Costco points for a NEW MIG WELDER! Use the welder to fix the snowblower.

I am assuming the rocker plate is rock only and has no glide? Most people start with the tubes a little stiff and keep dropping pressure as you get used to it. Final pressure will be really low (a couple psi probably). Use a weight to statically balance the plate instead of differential pressure in the tubes.
I think this balances with an air-line between the inner tubes and a bunch spongy rubber standoffs. It is lean only.

I think this balances with an air-line between the inner tubes and a bunch spongy rubber standoffs. It is lean only.
Interesting. Normally you use the isolators up the centre to give you a pivot axis and the tubes/balls on the side to increase resistance a bit and help with self-centering. Very rarely are the tubes/balls connected.

Rocker plate will be rock and glide. I have the linear bearings but need the shaft. Ideally I would use a sheet of high count plywood (baltic birch etc) but I am contemplating being a cheap bastard and laminating up a bunch of 2'x4' pieces that I have kicking around. These speakers are very sensitive to listening height. In the sweet spot is quite good, outside it is meh. They are about an inch low low. When I build the rocker, they need to go up. This setup will move when the kids get older and their play room reverts to a gym so I'm not interested in wall/ceiling mounting anything.

Fan is on a wifi switch so I can turn it on with the phone when I get hot (theoretically alexa capable and the firecube can control it but I haven't bothered to set it up).

MBP is the most expensive computer I will probably ever own (at the time close to five figures) but meh, it's been relegated to trainer duty and is probably the last mac I will ever buy (unless something changes a lot in the future).

Various iterations of speaker solution abandoned near bike. Milwaukee radio was underwhelming at best. Baffled speaker was from my dad's youth and sounded like poo. It's headed for the dump. Current solution is 2x300 for the Tannoys and 1x500 for the sub. Much much better.

Rocker plate will be rock and glide. I have the linear bearings but need the shaft. Ideally I would use a sheet of high count plywood (baltic birch etc) but I am contemplating being a cheap bastard and laminating up a bunch of 2'x4' pieces that I have kicking around. These speakers are very sensitive to listening height. In the sweet spot is quite good, outside it is meh. They are about an inch low low. When I build the rocker, they need to go up. This setup will move when the kids get older and their play room reverts to a gym so I'm not interested in wall/ceiling mounting anything.

Fan is on a wifi switch so I can turn it on with the phone when I get hot (theoretically alexa capable and the firecube can control it but I haven't bothered to set it up).

MBP is the most expensive computer I will probably ever own (at the time close to five figures) but meh, it's been relegated to trainer duty and is probably the last mac I will ever buy (unless something changes a lot in the future).

Various iterations of speaker solution abandoned near bike. Milwaukee radio was underwhelming at best. Baffled speaker was from my dad's youth and sounded like poo. It's headed for the dump. Current solution is 2x300 for the Tannoys and 1x500 for the sub. Much much better.
I like how close your TV is. Ours is too far away and not at the right height, so I have to either sit more upright on the bike or bend my neck back to see it better, which gets pretty uncomfortable. And for sound we're just using the TV speakers, or I run it through my DJ booth which is overkill and not very near the bikes anyways.

I like how close your TV is. Ours is too far away and not at the right height, so I have to either sit more upright on the bike or bend my neck back to see it better, which gets pretty uncomfortable. And for sound we're just using the TV speakers, or I run it through my DJ booth which is overkill and not very near the bikes anyways.
That was a tv from a friend destined for the dump. I would like it lower but that's as low as that stand goes. Alternative solution would put the foot back on tv and set it on a table/stand. Build up a back plate off the wall mounting holes to support the speakers. That's what I did for another tv where I didnt want to wall mount speakers.

I get how the rock/lean function works on the platform, what's the setup for glide and how does that work?

I get how the rock/lean function works on the platform, what's the setup for glide and how does that work?
Linear bearings and rod instead of isolators up the center. Spring to self-center glide. Obviously balls not tubes for lateral stability.

When seated, you get ~1/2" motion fore-aft. When you transition between seated and standing, bike moves a few inches. Is it worth it? Maybe not. Anything to make the trainer less painful is worth a shot. If I'm feeling bored, I may hook up some small air cylinders to provide remote lockout of the plate (mainly to ease mount/dismount).

Linear bearings and rod instead of isolators up the center. Spring to self-center glide. Obviously balls not tubes for lateral stability.

When seated, you get ~1/2" motion fore-aft. When you transition between seated and standing, bike moves a few inches. Is it worth it? Maybe not. Anything to make the trainer less painful is worth a shot. If I'm feeling bored, I may hook up some small air cylinders to provide remote lockout of the plate (mainly to ease mount/dismount).
Sounds like a lot of work! I'll see how the wife likes the existing setup.

I'd probably use 3 small rigid casters in a routed track over linear bearings & rods. Simpler, cheaper, and a lot more durable.

Sounds like a lot of work! I'll see how the wife likes the existing setup.

I'd probably use 3 small rigid casters in a routed track over linear bearings & rods. Simpler, cheaper, and a lot more durable.
That's certainly another option. Or skateboard trucks. Or pool balls in a track or . . . . The trick is minimal stiction. Many solutions don't roll well enough with a few hundred pounds on them.

That's certainly another option. Or skateboard trucks. Or pool balls in a track or . . . . The trick is minimal stiction. Many solutions don't roll well enough with a few hundred pounds on them.
Hard wheels with bearings will move easier than linear bearings on a rod. You can also make the track a vee or concave from front to back to self-center -- eliminating the need for shocks and/or springs.

Back
Top Bottom