Weird tool | Page 4 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Weird tool

Swivel base is crap I wish the cheap vises didn't have them they just make them garbage fixed base doesn't move on you when you need to reef on something.

Sent from my moto g(7) plus using Tapatalk
I have a Record swivel base and it has never slipped on me. I very rarely swivel it though so it is a neutral feature for me. It's probably like front suspension on a bike. If you are pushing for the cheapest possible while decent, you are a lot better off with fewer features as that leaves them more money to do the main function well.

I have a Record swivel base and it has never slipped on me. I very rarely swivel it though so it is a neutral feature for me. It's probably like front suspension on a bike. If you are pushing for the cheapest possible while decent, you are a lot better off with fewer features as that leaves them more money to do the main function well.
Steve puts things in a vise that weigh 19 tons!

What could go wrong?

Swivel base is crap I wish the cheap vises didn't have them they just make them garbage fixed base doesn't move on you when you need to reef on something.

I have a Record swivel base and it has never slipped on me.

I thought a swivel base was a gimmick, too. I have limited space at the bench, and use the swivel frequently. Twenty years of use, and it has never slipped. Would recommend on a smaller vice. IMG_20200530_104357442.jpeg

Im somewhat suspicious of my canadian tire torque wrench, anyone know where I can go to get it checked/calibrated?
Any shops that are likely operating now days?

Im somewhat suspicious of my canadian tire torque wrench, anyone know where I can go to get it checked/calibrated?
Any shops that are likely operating now days?
To calibrate my 1/2", I put an impact socket on the torque wrench and clamp the socket tightly in a vise with the torque wrench horizontal. I grab some dumbbells (40 lbs or so) and use a strap or some rope to hang them from the handle at 2 ft from the centre of the head. You should be able to get it to click/unclick at 80 ft lbs with one finger. FWIW, my ct torque wrench was off by 30% before I started doing this (set at 100 got you 70).

Cal labs never stopped running but I cant see paying to get a cal cert for a ct torque wrench (if the lab would even touch it, some require a minimum quality before they let it in the door as they dont want to fight with repeatability problems).

I am now in the market for a decent robust vice, but since I know nothing about them, if anyone can find a good one for a reasonable price that would be appreciated

Just grab one from Canadian Tire.

Calipers and master cylinder in the picture for size reference. (They were laying on my shed floor...)

fa9cb9500361873d21915a7a2195b069.jpg

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

Most of the kijiji ones arent named
I wonder if this is sufficient, owner says it works and weighs 50-60 lbs:

Most of the kijiji ones arent named I wonder if this is sufficient, owner says it works and weighs 50-60 lbs:

What Wingboy said. Don't buy that, it's for a mill.

You need a bench vise. You're a weekend mechanic, you don't need fancy and expensive. Get something from CT, PA, Napa, etc. I suggest no smaller than 4".

my vise is too big said nobody ever. with a couple wood blocks small things will go in a big vise, but not the other way around. And bolt it down as well as you can , chasing a vise around is no fun while your reefing on something

Most of the kijiji ones arent named
I wonder if this is sufficient, owner says it works and weighs 50-60 lbs:
Did you find a vise yet BP? Not the best vise in the world, but a 50 lb 6" vice for $120 isn't terrible.

Did you find a vise yet BP? Not the best vise in the world, but a 50 lb 6" vice for $120 isn't terrible.

yes I did thank you

Back
Top Bottom