We Know you Ride, But do you Shoot? | Page 112 | GTAMotorcycle.com

We Know you Ride, But do you Shoot?

A 57-year-old man in Kitchener, Ont., faces charges after police seized 250 guns and 200,000 rounds of ammunition from his home.

Foolish to not have adequate storage for that many guns, but as we all know the "safe storage" laws are vague at best, and too open to interpretation by LEO's so who knows what the actual details were.

200,000 rounds SEEMS like a lot, and probably sent non-gun owner readers into a frenzy, but if you consider what a 1000rd box of 9mm or .45 looks like you can figure that 200,000rds would be a small closet.

Hell, 200k worth of .22lr would be a medium to large sized moving box...

Last edited:
'Be interesting to see how the case pans out.
I've known of a few cases where the police made nice big splashy "busts" citing unsafe storage charges... only to have the charges tossed because... the legal definition of safe storage is vague.

'Be interesting to see how the case pans out.
I've known of a few cases where the police made nice big splashy "busts" citing unsafe storage charges... only to have the charges tossed because... the legal definition of safe storage is vague.

On that note Amazon has a large stack on cabinet (not long rifle) for $100 with three shelves inside that’s cheaper and larger than the one in crappy tire. Quite pleased with it as it comes fully assembled and might take most of my ammo in it.

On that note Amazon has a large stack on cabinet (not long rifle) for $100 with three shelves inside that’s cheaper and larger than the one in crappy tire. Quite pleased with it as it comes fully assembled and might take most of my ammo in it.

Storage regulations do not say your ammo has to be "locked up" so... Spending $ on a lockable cabinet isn't necessary.
If it gives you peace of mind... Go ahead, but... I wouldn't. Then again... I don't have curious little children in my home so..

Storage regulations do not say your ammo has to be "locked up" so... Spending $ on a lockable cabinet isn't necessary.
If it gives you peace of mind... Go ahead, but... I wouldn't. Then again... I don't have curious little children in my home so..

I just prefer to. Also fits the handguns too.

I think I just scored a .357 mag revolver. Quite pleased. This is one I might look at reloading for, cheapest ammo I see is 38 special at $21/50 or .357 at about $25/50 unless anyone has a line on anything cheaper.

I've got a couple 5 gal pails full of .38spl brass left over from my PPC shooting days.
Probably reloaded tens of thousands of rounds...
.38spl may be am obsolete fighting round, but... Still a great target shooting round.

I've got a couple 5 gal pails full of .38spl brass left over from my PPC shooting days.
Probably reloaded tens of thousands of rounds...
.38spl may be am obsolete fighting round, but... Still a great target shooting round.

Only 5 lbs or so of old 38 brass left kicking around in boxes. Aging myself to say that I sold reloads to buddies for $5 a box and made money?
As long as the purpose built weapons chambered in 38spl are around I don't consider it obsolete. Not much out there today can match an airweight chiefs special for its purpose.

There's nothing quite like a good wheel-gun!

Still need one for my collection...

Picked up a Black Friday shotgun! Treated myself! Beretta 1301 semi auto competition model.

Can anyone tell me what size magazine extender I can have on this? Is it 5 by law? I saw a +2 on a Canadian website and wondered why they would sell that if not legal?

Picked up a Black Friday shotgun! Treated myself! Beretta 1301 semi auto competition model.

Can anyone tell me what size magazine extender I can have on this? Is it 5 by law? I saw a +2 on a Canadian website and wondered why they would sell that if not legal?
Congrats. It looks like capacity is all over the map on that model. Some come with 5 and people add extenders, others say they have 10. If it come over capacity, I thought it was legal to plug it? Not sure what constitutes a legally acceptable plug.

... I thought it was legal to plug it? Not sure what constitutes a legally acceptable plug.
That is what they did fifty years ago, can't imagine it has changed much.
... should only be a problem if you are game bird hunting.

Last edited:
That is what they did fifty years ago, can't imagine it has changed much.
... should only be a problem if you are game bird hunting.

Not hunting. This is for clays, slugs and competition if I can get into that. So the gun can take 5 in the magazine, one in the chamber and one on the lifter I think. Looks like a +2 extender is the common one that I can see sold in Canada but I thought the law was a 5 round magazine limit? It’s confusing.

Not hunting. This is for clays, slugs and competition if I can get into that. So the gun can take 5 in the magazine, one in the chamber and one on the lifter I think. Looks like a +2 extender is the common one that I can see sold in Canada but I thought the law was a 5 round magazine limit? It’s confusing.
I thought there was something about being on an official range where you could have more capacity? Not sure if this is correct though. Apparently, 9 rounds is required for some of the competitive events in the states. Competition and/or official ranges are not my scene.

It's not confusing.
The magazine for a semi automatic center fire rifle/shotgun is limited to 5 rounds of ammunition of the type the firearm is chambered in.
As you should know, shotguns come chambered in a few different "lengths" as far as shot shells are concerned.

nIc2y8O.png

So... do the math.
Fix your magazine so that it'll accommodate 5.9 rounds of the longest shell your shotgun is chambered for.
The "fix" needs to be permanent though so usually there's some epoxy or similar fastening agent required.

Alternatively, you could just learn to reload faster as we all know when it comes to shotgun competition it's often as much a reloading contest as a shooting contest

The law was made to give the ducks a flighting chance,
those who remember how many birds there were half a century ago know the plan didn't work :| should have been limited to 1 round.

The guy who stops you to check, he is going to be a game officer, yes? You just have to convince him you are not hunting.

It's not confusing.
The magazine for a semi automatic center fire rifle/shotgun is limited to 5 rounds of ammunition of the type the firearm is chambered in.
As you should know, shotguns come chambered in a few different "lengths" as far as shot shells are concerned.

nIc2y8O.png

So... do the math.
Fix your magazine so that it'll accommodate 5.9 rounds of the longest shell your shotgun is chambered for.
The "fix" needs to be permanent though so usually there's some epoxy or similar fastening agent required.

Alternatively, you could just learn to reload faster as we all know when it comes to shotgun competition it's often as much a reloading contest as a shooting contest

So are the plus 2 extension tubes illegal or is it only illegal to install them on the Canadian side?

The law was made to give the ducks a flighting chance,
those who remember how many birds there were half a century ago know the plan didn't work :| should have been limited to 1 round.

The guy who stops you to check, he is going to be a game officer, yes? You just have to convince him you are not hunting.

Hunting regulations are separate from and have nothing to do with the FA.

Back
Top Bottom