We Know you Ride, But do you Shoot? | Page 152 | GTAMotorcycle.com

We Know you Ride, But do you Shoot?

I just got access to a 400 yd range. This has revealed a deficiency. I have no gun accurate to 400 yds (don’t think my Ruger Ranch in .223 will cut it…maybe, we’ll see). Plus one further deficiency…no room in safe for another gun.

Solution: New safe and gun.

Easy.
I was talking to someone that was planning a 1 km range for up to 50 cal. Afaik, the project never got off the ground. I don't think they had fully grasped the amount of land required.

I was talking to someone that was planning a 1 km range for up to 50 cal. Afaik, the project never got off the ground. I don't think they had fully grasped the amount of land required.

Yep..not just the range length but what’s behind it too regardless of if there’s a berm there.

Yep..not just the range length but what’s behind it too regardless of if there’s a berm there.
And off to the sides and behind and . . . They were thinking that land sufficient to fit the firing lanes plus a few hundred feet was enough. For a 50, I think it is more on the order of firing lane plus a kilometer or more of buffer.

I just got access to a 200-400 yd range. This has revealed a deficiency. I have no gun accurate to 400 yds (don’t think my Ruger Ranch in .223 will cut it…maybe, we’ll see). My .22 build isn’t allowed on that range either due to the new baffles the firearms people have demanded (drop would be too much at 400 yds). Plus one further deficiency…no room in safe for another gun.

Easy.

This might be of interest.

And the liberals have released another amended gun regulation. You would think after a a repeated series of abject failures, they would involve someone that had seen a gun in the drafting. Nope. Another dumpster fire. At least both sides are mad this time so they are getting closer. They are probably regretting getting NS commission to recommend banning all guns now as they don't have the political capital to get that done and look like failures once again.

And the liberals have released another amended gun regulation. You would think after a a repeated series of abject failures, they would involve someone that had seen a gun in the drafting. Nope. Another dumpster fire. At least both sides are mad this time so they are getting closer. They are probably regretting getting NS commission to recommend banning all guns now as they don't have the political capital to get that done and look like failures once again.

Mine came with a 5 round magazine…so according to that definition it’s safe.

Mine came with a 5 round magazine…so according to that definition it’s safe.
Look for a xxxxC model number coming soon where every gun coming in to canada is "designed" for a 5 round magazine. The guns will look and feel very very similar to guns sold in the rest of the world even if those ones come with a larger magazine. Don't worry, the C model is "designed" to comply. Morons. More paperwork, no useful effect.

I just got access to a 200-400 yd range. This has revealed a deficiency. I have no gun accurate to 400 yds (don’t think my Ruger Ranch in .223 will cut it…maybe, we’ll see). My .22 build isn’t allowed on that range either due to the new baffles the firearms people have demanded (drop would be too much at 400 yds). Plus one further deficiency…no room in safe for another gun.

Easy.
Costco has an ok gun container for $800 in stores (999 online). Item 1663689. Sports afield 24+4. It wont withstand a concerted attack but seems to be better than many of the glorified filing cabinets.

I have a 12 gun safe that holds about 5 guns . They are like the 6 man tents that sleep two .

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com
I provided size as a reference not a capacity. I entirely agree with your assessment. It's a bit smaller than the previously linked safe (which had some terrible reviews). Honestly anything less than a tl-15 is pretty janky at best as a safe. Good enough to keep crackheads and kids out for a while though. I saw a good suggestion for a motion triggered camera with alarm aimed at safe if it was in a quiet area or inside safe. Light up your phone when people are trying to access safe. If it's you, no big deal.

I’m using the safe for legality and I put dehumidifier pods in thier to keep things dry . I’m not really worried about thieves , my guess is my thieves in this hood are more about stealing jewelry and cash and anything they could flip fast . And almost all my guns are long guns like gramps had , no cool action movie guns .

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com

For humidity...

Leevalley used to sell rechargeable dehumidifying/desiccant pods. Pop them in the oven to recharge them. I don't see them listed anymore but IMO they were/are great. I see people make location mistakes as well, we want to hide it and secure to a concrete wall but temp changes can also drive humidity if the space it is in is not well conditioned.

For humidity...

Leevalley used to sell rechargeable dehumidifying/desiccant pods. Pop them in the oven to recharge them. I don't see them listed anymore but IMO they were/are great. I see people make location mistakes as well, we want to hide it and secure to a concrete wall but temp changes can also drive humidity if the space it is in is not well conditioned.
You can buy the dessicant pellets on amazon. Throw them in some form of ventilated container. Or buy the packaged solution that looks like a rod you throw in the safe. When it's time to recharge, it has a plug, leave it plugged in for a few hours and it is ready to go back in the safe.

You can buy the dessicant pellets on amazon. Throw them in some form of ventilated container. Or buy the packaged solution that looks like a rod you throw in the safe. When it's time to recharge, it has a plug, leave it plugged in for a few hours and it is ready to go back in the safe.
The ones Leevalley used to sell were already in ventilated metal containers, you just popped the entire container in the oven to recharge. Just super handy and inexpensive. They do sell reusable silica gel bags now that you microwave....

The more humid areas of the house that cause issues tend to be in the lower portions of a property (heat rises so the cooler lower air aids the vapour in the atmosphere to condense on surfaces). So that’s one thing to take into account if you have a safe in your basement (common as they are so heavy and sometimes aren’t moved far or moved down rather than lifted up). As for removing moisture there’s a few different methods. I like the chemical ones with the bags where you can see the water removed. It’s easy enough to see when these need changing. Some people use a low wattage bulb too that keeps the air a little warmer to prevent condensation. I should probably look at getting one of the plug in ones as they are pretty much maintenance free,

The more humid areas of the house that cause issues tend to be in the lower portions of a property (heat rises so the cooler lower air aids the vapour in the atmosphere to condense on surfaces). So that’s one thing to take into account if you have a safe in your basement (common as they are so heavy and sometimes aren’t moved far or moved down rather than lifted up). As for removing moisture there’s a few different methods. I like the chemical ones with the bags where you can see the water removed. It’s easy enough to see when these need changing. Some people use a low wattage bulb too that keeps the air a little warmer to prevent condensation. I should probably look at getting one of the plug in ones as they are pretty much maintenance free,
The plug in "dehumdifiers" that stay plugged in inside the safe are a gimmick. Think about it. Dessicant absorbs moisture, heater turns on occasionally to dry dessicant, guess where the moisture what was absorbed goes?

I've seen a few real estate listing with safe in the garage. Such a dumb idea. Easy to install but a)there is most of what you need to open/take the safe supplies to the robber, b)they have lots of space to work and c)they can easily load it in a truck with the garage door closed and deal with it later.

CTC has a tub in the sporting goods dept , boat stuff, that you put a cartridge in each yr. I have a hygrometer from an old weather station that sits in my safe , when its not staying in the 30% range I go get another cartridge .
I miss the old days when they just sat on a rack and I could admire them , the big steel box in the office isnt as pretty.

CTC has a tub in the sporting goods dept , boat stuff, that you put a cartridge in each yr. I have a hygrometer from an old weather station that sits in my safe , when its not staying in the 30% range I go get another cartridge .
I miss the old days when they just sat on a rack and I could admire them , the big steel box in the office isnt as pretty.
Take a picture, have it printed on vinyl and wrap the safe. Everyone has a pretty good idea what is in it already.

The plug in "dehumdifiers" that stay plugged in inside the safe are a gimmick. Think about it. Dessicant absorbs moisture, heater turns on occasionally to dry dessicant, guess where the moisture what was absorbed goes?

I've seen a few real estate listing with safe in the garage. Such a dumb idea. Easy to install but a)there is most of what you need to open/take the safe supplies to the robber, b)they have lots of space to work and c)they can easily load it in a truck with the garage door closed and deal with it later.
I was thinking more like a very low wattage heater that’s on constantly so it doesn’t allow condensation. Haven’t looked at the plug in humidifiers much as what I have works OK right now.

Just saw this WagJag deal for trap shooting at Silverdale. As someone who doesn't own anything yet, and isn't a member, seems like a reasonable price for 50 shots and targets? Maybe if there's enough interest we can arrange a group ride out there.

• $84 for a Trap Shooting Experience for One ($110 Value)
  • $160 for a Trap Shooting Experience for Two ($220 Value)
    • 50 shots of 12g ammunition, 50 clay targets
*Trap Shooting Experience is only valid for bookings Monday to Friday 10:00am to 4:00pm.

• Voucher expires 4 months after purchase date

Back
Top Bottom