Water damaged drywall | GTAMotorcycle.com

Water damaged drywall

Jampy00

Site Supporter
When we get hit by hard rain on the front of my house, I get a small leak on the ceiling over one of the basement windows.
Not sure if it is getting through the brick or the window trim/frame. Having the windows replaced so that could fix one issue but I'll need to address the cracks in the mortar on the exterior bricks. That leaves the internal repair. Just to make it clear I HATE DRYWALL!!!!
So would anyone be interested in either helping me or doing the job for me. Rip out old damaged drywall, address any water damage maybe locate area of concern.
then patch the drywall. The room has a popcorn ceiling but I'm not worried about that..

@mimico_polak Interested?

Post pics of it. I’m currently working on a house for the next few weekends with a lot of drywall work so that’s currently priority to finish. But I can try and guide you through it.

Post pics of it. I’m currently working on a house for the next few weekends with a lot of drywall work so that’s currently priority to finish. But I can try and guide you through it.
Let me know when you are done

Don't be afraid to take a bigger piece of drywall off the fist time.
It is easier to replace and repair 1 larger section than several smaller cut outs.

Plus it will give you a better idea of what the condition of the inside of the wall is like in a larger area.

I don't mind ripping drywall out and installing new. I HATE mudding and sanding it.

It is easier to replace and repair 1 larger section than several smaller cut outs.

Plus it will give you a better idea of what the condition of the inside of the wall is like in a larger area.

I don't mind ripping drywall out and installing new. I HATE mudding and sanding it.
You're probably putting on way too much compound at once. Remember, it's easier to add compound than it is to remove it. Just like painting, multiple thin coats.

Mudding isn't so bad if the guy installing new, did it correctly.

Locating the source of the leak can be a real PITA. I hope you find it easily enough.
Agreed. It has happened twice so far and only when we get a very hard rain that pelts the front of the house, but that still leaves a very large area to deal with.
We are getting our windows replaced soon so once this window is pulled out it will give a chance to poke around.

I will never never never do drywall again. I'd done bits here an there in the past and after watching some videos I felt much more confident. So when it came time to finish my basement, I was gunho to do it. I did the framing, electrical, plumbing, and hung all the drywall. Easy peasy. The mother f'ing finishing??? Never again. It looks like absolute crap and ticks me off everytime I look at it. Other people have told me it's not too bad, but all I see are the mistakes.

I'll keep doing patches, because hiring someone for a patch is silly. But a full sheet or more, I'm hiring someone, always.

I will never never never do drywall again. I'd done bits here an there in the past and after watching some videos I felt much more confident. So when it came time to finish my basement, I was gunho to do it. I did the framing, electrical, plumbing, and hung all the drywall. Easy peasy. The mother f'ing finishing??? Never again. It looks like absolute crap and ticks me off everytime I look at it. Other people have told me it's not too bad, but all I see are the mistakes.

I'll keep doing patches, because hiring someone for a patch is silly. But a full sheet or more, I'm hiring someone, always.
I'm happy to hire for a large patch, I own zero drywall equipment and have zero drywall experience. Dings and dents I'll consider.

In my previous house I redid the master bath. Ripped out corner tub and shower. Installed new glass shower and free standing tub.
I did everything except for the tiles. Hired someone due to timing.
It all looked great untill one day I was sitting on the crapper and looked up at the ceiling.
HOLY crap, I said I would never due drywall mudding again.

A few months later we moved into the current house.
I ripped out the closet in the laundry room. Again drywall need to be repaired. Not enough for anyone wanting to do it without charging me for an arm and a leg for it.
Wife came up with a last minute decision to do ship lap.
I bought 1/4" ply and ripped it into 7 inch strips. Slapped that in the walls and ceiling. It covered all the drywall patching and it actually turned out really good.

Last edited:
In my previous house I redid the master bath. Ripped out corner tub and shower. Installed new glass shower and free standing tub.
I did everything except for the tiles. Hired someone due to timing.
It all looked great untill one day I was sitting on the crapper and looked up at the ceiling.
HOLY crap, I said I would never due drywall mudding again.

A few months later we.mived into the current house.
I ripped out the closet in the laundry room. Again drywall need to be repaired. Not enough for anyone wanting to do it without charging me for an arm and a leg for it.
Wife came up with a last minute decision to do ship lap.
I bought 1/4" ply and ripped it into 7 inch strips. Slapped that in the walls and ceiling. It covered all the drywall patching and it actually turned out really good.
I was surprised to find companies that specialize in drywall patching, I'll look into this when the time is right.

This is what is looks like for reference.

Attachments

• PXL_20240318_111652194.jpg
    PXL_20240318_111652194.jpg
    662.7 KB · Views: 22
order of operations. fix the leak 100% with no doubts before touching the mud...
You think? LOL
100% agree, as stated earlier I'll wait until the window gets removed then poke around.
As I see it a million ways the water can get in, but only two that seem the most likley.

Thanks.
I don't remember my setup as it was approx 7 -8 years ago.
But I only have a 10 inch jobsite table saw.
I'm sure I set up some sort of in feed and out feed.
4 by 8 sheet of ply can be tricky to handle by yourself on a small support table.

Back
Top Bottom