Voom Motorcycle Insurance | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Voom Motorcycle Insurance

Being tracked by an OBD sensor is not something I'd be interested in...to think they're reading your mileage only is naive.

I like the idea of "take a picture of your milage" tho..hope it's offered here soon.

The guy formerly known as Mladin.

Being tracked by an OBD sensor is not something I'd be interested in...to think they're reading your mileage only is naive.

I like the idea of "take a picture of your milage" tho..hope it's offered here soon.

Too open to fraud not likely to happen here. Of course they track your habits the pricing makes the tradeoffs work.

Sent from the future

If you have a phone you are being tracked as well.

Sent from the future

If you have a phone you are being tracked as well.

Sent from the future
I have every location setting set to off and sometimes leave it at home. I wish burner phones were still available in case of an emergency...

Being tracked by an OBD sensor is not something I'd be interested in...t
You're not really TRACKED per se. They can get data on speed, gas pedal percentage, brake deceleration, time... that sort of thing, there's no location or directional tracking (they pull that off the GPS).
... but what they are doing may be a little underhanded. We all lie to our insurance applications. Grabbing all this REAL data gives them a new data set to rate us with. We ALL say we don't speed, don't slam on the brakes, only drive to church on Saturdays, whereas the data they're pulling off the ODB says that 75% of the applicants that say that are actually driving like fools.
According to Reddit most people that get that ODB thingee don't get a reduction, some have had their insurance cancelled (which IMMEDIATELY puts you in a higher rate group), and trying to drive in a way you get good "points" isn't easy or safe.
But your phone IS tracking you in realtime, location and direction, even if you turn off the GPS

You're not really TRACKED per se. They can get data on speed, gas pedal percentage, brake deceleration, time... that sort of thing, there's no location or directional tracking (they pull that off the GPS).
... but what they are doing may be a little underhanded. We all lie to our insurance applications. Grabbing all this REAL data gives them a new data set to rate us with. We ALL say we don't speed, don't slam on the brakes, only drive to church on Saturdays, whereas the data they're pulling off the ODB says that 75% of the applicants that say that are actually driving like fools.
According to Reddit most people that get that ODB thingee don't get a reduction, some have had their insurance cancelled (which IMMEDIATELY puts you in a higher rate group), and trying to drive in a way you get good "points" isn't easy or safe.
But your phone IS tracking you in realtime, location and direction, even if you turn off the GPS
Which is why I leave my phone home a lot of the time. If the worst happens, and you go down and can't get yourself out of a jam like the guy who spent the whole night in the ditch at deals gap... it'd be great to have a burner phone or just a regular flip phone.

The internet seemed like a good idea at the time..

This guy is making an attempt at pioneering degoogled phones which is going to be a thing in demand as tracking every single thing a person does becomes the new normal:

So TD now has this MyAdvantage program where there's no OBD dongle but you install the app on your phone instead and promises "Save up to 25% with TD MyAdvantage" so I figured I'd give it a go on the Volt which I drive sensibly anyways.

After the first day it's telling me a 21% savings so I'm thinking "hey, not bad". Each day after that it steadily goes down until I'm at a 6% savings even though my driving is the same. I always have my phone with me so when I'm driving the Mustang or 1 of the bikes I always need to tell it at the end of the drive/ride that I wasn't driving the car (options are "motorcycle", "passenger", some other ones) so I said screw it and cancelled it.

Besides those annoyances, you need to corner very slow to the point that you're a hindrance to others on the road. The smooth acceleration is easy to do, the smooth braking not always as easy, and the cornering I've already commented on.

To me it was a waste of effort.

Currently the MyPace doesn't track your driving habits or care they just bill you by the kilometer and they need the OBD to do that

Sent from the future

So TD now has this MyAdvantage program where there's no OBD dongle but you install the app on your phone instead and promises "Save up to 25% with TD MyAdvantage" so I figured I'd give it a go on the Volt which I drive sensibly anyways.

After the first day it's telling me a 21% savings so I'm thinking "hey, not bad". Each day after that it steadily goes down until I'm at a 6% savings even though my driving is the same. I always have my phone with me so when I'm driving the Mustang or 1 of the bikes I always need to tell it at the end of the drive/ride that I wasn't driving the car (options are "motorcycle", "passenger", some other ones) so I said screw it and cancelled it.

Besides those annoyances, you need to corner very slow to the point that you're a hindrance to others on the road. The smooth acceleration is easy to do, the smooth braking not always as easy, and the cornering I've already commented on.

Could you screw these guys at their own game by just eaving the phone at home? (easy for me to say since I don't have one)

Could you screw these guys at their own game by just eaving the phone at home? (easy for me to say since I don't have one)
Haha, good point but I'm pretty sure you start your premium at the "before discount" amount and THEN after driving it determines what your discount will be so you'd gain nothing by doing that.

These are likely the drivers you come up on that are doing 30 in a 50 causing a train of cars trying to find a way around them. So in essence, insurance companies are causing accidents as the flow of traffic is impeded. These apps and Tracking Programs should be banned.

I tested MyAdvantage a couple of years ago. I got to 15% driving very diligently for 2 weeks. 0 on my motorcycle, and 0 riding the bus. You also have to remember to shut off when someone else is driving as the app always assumes you are at the wheel.

It's just a marketing gimmick. I cant see a realistic discount.

Back
Top Bottom