Using 5G Cellphone Hotspot for Cottage Internet | GTAMotorcycle.com

Using 5G Cellphone Hotspot for Cottage Internet

ReSTored

Thought I'd ask the question here.

In Mississauga I have unlimited Gigabyte mbps for $74 / month, HST in. Great price, although every year I have to go through the bogus Rogers price renegotiation process. IMO, for what I use my computer for, there is really not a huge difference between 150 and 1,000 mbps download speeds, Last year, 1,000 service was cheaper than 150, so I opted for it.

At the cottage in the Kawarthas internet options are very limited. I pay $135 / month for 25 mbps download satellite internet with a 200 GB cap. We actually use <50 GB on a month to month basis. We have older iPhone 7 Plus phones. At the cottage the 3G signal on the iPhone gives us 5 mbps download speeds, clearly too slow.

In Mississauga I tested a friend's iPhone 14 with Bell 5G service. 2 of 4 bars of reception, download speed of 300 mbps, 12 times faster than my satellite internet. We have a Bell tower fairly close to the cottage.

We're at the point where it's probably time to upgrade our phones anyway, but looking for feedback as to anyone out there who has ditched cottage internet service and is using their 5G phone as a personal hotspot instead?

I mean..it's certainly viable.

In my bachelor life my room was just outside the decent range for the house wifi so i'd get dropped constantly. I just hot spotted my phone at the time (also had unlimited plan) and i used over 80gbs/month.

My cottage reception is so crap it probably wouldn't be an option, but if yours gets 'solid' reception then why not.

Keep in mind the peak weekend traffic when in season. Of course, this is time, location and neighbor specific.

I’d see if I can get a newer phone up there and confirm speeds. From what I read you only tested it here in Mississauga.

I’ve seen Wasaga get a lot more cheaper options for internet on my FB feed and am planning on getting an internet provider up there.

With satellite you’re at the mercy of the weather and heavy cloud cover. Not sure if STARLINK is worth the dollars (regardless of how you feel about Musk).

Make sure you test the 5G connectivity where you live. From what I'm hearing, 5G towers have a much smaller broadcast radius than previous Gen mobile towers. They are having to put in more towers as a result and if you live far away from one then your connectivity and speed will suffer.

Also 5G causes Coronavirus. So there's that, too...

Back
Top Bottom