TV shows currently watching | Page 87 | GTAMotorcycle.com

TV shows currently watching

I finished binging The New Pope and highly recommend it. Very auteur and one of the best shows I've seen. It's fantastical, artsy, lush, layered, weird, bizarre and very emotive. The show design and direction is European; the writer and director is Italian with academy award pedigree. The sets, props, clothing and music (lots of euro EDM even) are sumptuous and extremely detailed. A number of excellent European supporting actors help and will be unknown to the NA audience. And the dialog is extremely well written. This season the mood building is top notch, like a fever dream. John Malkovich excels in understated, compassionate and emotional roles and really gets to stretch his legs here. Many find this is Jude Law's best performance yet.

But this show isn't for everyone (I also enjoyed Ad Astra which some pan). It presents (for some) a shocking view of the Catholic church. The plot has a number of layers and progresses in fits and spurts, some people will find it too slow paced overall. There's lots of sex and nudity (a lot lot), some of it will shock some people and that appears to be the aim (there's even a gh scene).

While the shocking views of the Catholic church will turn some people off, this show's handling of love, sin, power and religion is fascinating and engaging. Much of it is fundamentally about humanity, humankind and the examination of spirituality and god. Big topics and moving stuff imo. All interwoven among visuals, dialog and music.

The New Pope is the second season of this show after The Young Pope, though one doesn't really need to see the first season to enjoy it. I found The Young Pope average overall, it had some good points but it was also slow and uninteresting at times. The New Pope does a much better job and avoiding these pitfalls. The story arc of the show also finishes with S2; that's it, short and sweet.

The New Pope has been under the radar. 88% on RT (w critics).

HBO doc After Truth: Disinformation and the Cost of Fake News was top notch, highly recommended. Everyone should watch to understand what's occurring and how. It shocked some family I recommended it to.

Along those lines, Niall Ferguson's Networld was very worthwhile, a three episode (one hr each) PBS documentary examining how the internet is shaping and distorting information and society currently.

E3 I could not find on YT yet but it's on PBS.

The Sinner S3 finished last night. It was a very good show but the ending fell short of my high expectations, feeling rushed and somewhat shallow.

I needed PVR space and binged the first six episodes of Better Call Saul. Good but I'm finding it a bit slow so far...

Another doc here, Kill Chain: The Cyber War on America's Elections; it looks good.

I want to watch McMillion$, another HBO doc... this one the true story about the McDonald's Monopoly game which was rigged between 1989 and 2001.

Lots of good stuff out there.

Last edited:
Reactions: LBV
Just finished binging on Amazon Prime's Jack Ryan season 1 and 2. Really enjoyed it, and highly recommend it.

A couple episodes into Future Man, fantastic so far.

Star Trek Picard, didn't suck! Probably the best Star Trek series in a while.
Everything was pretty decent (minus some plot holes) except for that last episode, which was all over the place.

I found the touch controls/virtual displays odd and out of place, because they had been such advocates of voice controls/computer systems etc.

Star Trek Picard, didn't suck! Probably the best Star Trek series in a while.
Everything was pretty decent (minus some plot holes) except for that last episode, which was all over the place.
Geez, I've seen most all ST TV shows and movies, but have been putting off any serious consideration of Picard. I didn't mind ST - Discovery which is only a few yrs old. I'll have to keep Picard in mind.

The Magicians ended. I watched that show from new. Boo, hiss, sad. It's a great show imo that's well liked in its many quirky categories. Very creative stuff. There are articles rating episodes, discussing the best episodes, etc. It's a show that another network should pick up. I've since been reminiscing a bit on The Magicians; I think S3E5 "A Life In the Day", with the Quentin and Eliot story arc, is one of the best single episodes of story telling I've ever seen on TV. Many describe it as the best (or near best) in-series episode.

I'm enjoying some exotic destination property shows on cable. Two locations recently stood out to me. One was Costa Maya in MX (south of Riviera Maya), it's stunning and quiet (the TA forum for RM has >236K topics, CM has 667!). The other location was Las Terrenas in Samana, Dominican Republic; I've been there and it's an amazing place, small and quiet too. It was nice that the property budgets were in the $300K-$400K range.

A number of old episodes of 30 for 30 are back again on TSN. Some good ones too.

"The Scheme" documentary on HBO was interesting. The other earlier docs I mentioned are better, but this one was still interesting. Sports related.

Lots and lots of stuff out there, and something for everyone.

Last edited:
Nice; I started watching a bit of Wonders of Life as well (iirc BBC Earth on Cable).

I too find Brian Cox totally engaging and he's new to me. After first seeing him in the recent series "The Planets" (mentioned before) I started to VOD his earlier work as well and it's great. IMO, he's a top notch narrator and content producer.

Reactions: J_F
Just finished up Ozark S3 wow just wow, good most of the way through but the ending was shocking.

@kwtoxman thanks for letting me know The Magicians S5 finished, hope to look into that next, fun series ya to bad this will be it.

Manifest. Watched a few episodes now and it’s starting to feel like “Lost” a bit. It’s pretty good, about a plane full of passengers that take off from Jamaica and end up at their destination in the US 5y later. Some weird goings on (obviously) but a decent storyline with evil government agencies involved etc.

Manifest. Watched a few episodes now and it’s starting to feel like “Lost” a bit. It’s pretty good, about a plane full of passengers that take off from Jamaica and end up at their destination in the US 5y later. Some weird goings on (obviously) but a decent storyline with evil government agencies involved etc.
I have heard this show mentioned a few times here. From the plot description it doesn't appeal to me, but obviously there is more to it if you all are talking about it.

I'm a bit embarrassed to admit it but I couldn't help myself. Despite trying not to, I watched the whole Joe Exotic series. Pretty entertaining in these times, reminds you that life could be worse lol. Took me a few episodes to realize it wasn't Florida

Watched the first episode of Don't F**k with Cats last night. Interesting backstory to the Magnotta case from a few years ago. Disturbing to watch, he does thing to kittens and they show it. Not for the squeamish especially cat lovers.

back to Goliath, Season 1
likes me some Billy Bob in just about anything

stayed up late Monday to steal Saul off the internet
still engaging, but that was 60 minutes of very little...anything

Re watching Community on Netflix.

Will watch Tiger King next. Just finished Ozark s3....... Holy Crap!

Last edited:
Deep into Tiger King.I didn't think there really was f'd up people like this in the world. Have i been leading a sheltered life?

Back
Top Bottom