Turo Sucks | GTAMotorcycle.com

Turo Sucks

Mad Mike

My daughter just went on a trip to Florida, she booked a car with Turo in November for her trip, it was about $500 for the week. On her way to the airport on Friday, Turo sent her a message saying the car rental she paid for was cancelled. They offered her a refund, no assistance finding another car as there were no Turo cars available in the city she was visiting for less than $120USD/day + insurance..

She ended up paying $1000 CAD for 4 days of car rental - busy season - heavy price for a university student.

Turo offered nothing but a refund. Beware, don't use them, their cancellation policy for buyers is worthless.

Use Twitter and post up your complaint to the company. That’s all I really use Twitter for now, shaming negligent companies. It’s surprisingly effective at getting some sort of compromise for valid complaints.

Credit card rental vehicle insurance doesn't cover them, so it really isn't worth it unless you actually really want to drive a specific car. Their cars + insurance is way more expensive than rental car company car with credit card insurance.

I wouldn't bother relying on your credit card for rental insurance, unless you got a very premium CC. there are numerous stories online of people just using CC insurance getting footed with massive bills for minor things ruining their trips. There is a huge list of what is covered and what is not

I've considered Turo before for rentals but honestly I don't find the pricing to be that great, but sure you have a greater variety.
One of the reasons I never used them is whenever I clicked on the cars, there was something that stated they've either cancelled the last one, or some stupid cancellation issue that kept rising up.

Enterprise had a car for $35/day...I can deal with that until I buy a car. For now it's still way cheaper than buying a second car.

I have Scotiabank amex. I wouldn't call it "super" premium. They covered a windshield. At $120/yr it pays for itself

I pay $15 or $20 extra / yr on one of my car insurance policies. It covers me like my own, if and when I rent anything.

Tesla jump in echo park was supposedly a Turo car. Can't imagine that owner is happy (and Turo will definitely be unhappy being associated with that behaviour). Lots of videos from lots of angles. Can't have felt good to land a sedan from that high in the air. At least he landed on a slope. I've done something similar on a sled before when the backside of the hill was a lot steeper than I expected but you have a lot more control over pitch and roll in a sled.

Model-S-Flying-544x381.jpg

viral-video-shows-tesla-jumping-50-feet-in-air-crashing-into-another-vehicle-in-echo-park-1505714577371283456.webp

I used Turo to rent a model S here for 2 days as a surprise for my wife turning 40. Have zero complaints. The owner was a very stand up guy, did everything he could to help pull off the surprise.

Turo is only good to try out cars rental places dont usually have. As others have said, their insurance doesn't cover much.
Had a tire that was feeling funny, air pressure was fine, messaged the owner and he said it was fine. Tire blew and shredded, no spare and guess who had to cover the tow and tire replacement?
Turo was useless, said I should've have paid for a higher insurance that covered tires.

I'll stick to the classic rentals for now.

I had very strongly considered getting a carshare service when i sold my last car (instead of buying a new one) in order to save up a much bigger downpayment for the new-to-us car.

In the end it's not developed enough to be reliable for "when we need it"
If i was certain that there would be a car available when i needed it, i would've pulled the trigger as it would've been cost effective.

I used Turo to rent a model S here for 2 days as a surprise for my wife turning 40. Have zero complaints. The owner was a very stand up guy, did everything he could to help pull off the surprise.
I can see local stuff being better than in vacationland. I've found owners are very opportunistic when it comes to repricing. It's common for sunbelt owners to book out their cars a few months in advance for attractive rates. If they see the local market supply tighten, then cancel 24hours before the booking in order to rebook at a higher rate. This leaves the original renter in a tough position -- no car, tight market for cars, and a whole lot more expensive.

This happens a lot in Florida. Turo doesn't openly condone this behavior, but they don't do much to discourage it. And there is really no help available to the renter who could be left without a car.

I can see local stuff being better than in vacationland. I've found owners are very opportunistic when it comes to repricing. It's common for sunbelt owners to book out their cars a few months in advance for attractive rates. If they see the local market supply tighten, then cancel 24hours before the booking in order to rebook at a higher rate. This leaves the original renter in a tough position -- no car, tight market for cars, and a whole lot more expensive.

This happens a lot in Florida. Turo doesn't openly condone this behavior, but they don't do much to discourage it. And there is really no help available to the renter who could be left without a car.
Well that's crap. Super easy for turo to fix that instantly (if you cancel a rental, you are blacked out for the rental period). Crap like that will be the death of their business model.

Conventional rental cars need you to be 25yrs + I think , does Turo give a car to a uni student? under 25? I'm just asking since i have no idea.

I'm sticking with the usual characters Avis, Tilden, Enterprise.

sort of like swoop air and flair. You may get there , you may not.

Well that's crap. Super easy for turo to fix that instantly (if you cancel a rental, you are blacked out for the rental period). Crap like that will be the death of their business model.
That is their stated policy, unfortunately it's not their practice. I think Turo should make the car owner pay a small amount to insure the rental, if the car becomes unavailable or fails, the insurance covers a mainstream rental car for the remaining time.

Conventional rental cars need you to be 25yrs + I think , does Turo give a car to a uni student? under 25? I'm just asking since i have no idea.

I'm sticking with the usual characters Avis, Tilden, Enterprise.

sort of like swoop air and flair. You may get there , you may not.

the owner can choose the criteria for rentals. think there was different tiers for age.

Back
Top Bottom