Trailers, Campers and RVs… | Page 11 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Trailers, Campers and RVs…

Wow. Good for Toyota. Most manufacturers are pricks and rate everything below the biggest at zero or 1000. CRV has been zero tow rating for decades. Honda wants you in a Pilot or ridgeline to tow a utility trailer.
Don't tell Toyota I mounted a hitch on both my Echo and Yaris. You could tell the trailer was on even when it was empty. (even more so pulling a Wing!)

Biggest problem with a 5x8 vs a 6x12 is the wind. Sure the RAV4 will be able to tow it, but it will be revving the **** out of the engine keeping it at highway speeds.

With an 8 speed transmission I don't think this will be as bad as you perceive - 8 speeds is a huge plus and it'll find one it's happy with and stick there. If it was a 4 or 5 speed that would be more of an issue though I agree.
Does anyone make a teardrop pop up toy hauler thing? Teardrop when towing but then raise the ends to get a rectangle for hanging out inside with some headroom. You could use folded metal sides but tarp would probably be good enough and a lot easier.

Look at the Safari Condo as one example, but they're insanely expensive, even more than the Helio's.
V nose is not any better than flat the back is always the issue not the front.

Sent from the future

Yes, and no. If you've ever pulled a flat front and immediately a V-Nose or slant nose, there is a difference for sure.

Some of my first tractors back when I got into trucking didn't have the roof dam that you see on pretty much every semi out there now and the difference between a flat top tractor and one with the aero kit on the roof is insane. There's a reason you don't see flattop tractors anymore.
And yes, there's an effect on the tail as well, but you can get little air diffusers that help breakup the air flow and reduce the suction effect that help improve your economy there. Unfortunately when it comes to a cargo trailer there's only so much streamlining you can do on the back end if you still want it to be functioal.
Here's an example of the stick on diffusers.

airtab_4_web.jpg

Expect 20 with a trailer.

Sent from the future

Not necessarily...depends on lots of factors - speed, aerodynamics, wind direction and speed, usual fuel economy of the tow vehicle, and terrain of course. We took our Helio to Boston and Cape Cod last summer and all through the mountains and covered a total of 2362KM going to the very tip of the Cape and back, with some excursions in between via Boston etc. This was the first big trip towing with the Volt and I was pleasantly surprised at the fuel economy figures once I sat down and hand calculated everything this evening from all the notes I’d kept of exact miles travelled and exact fuel used. We consumed 312L of fuel to cover all those miles, with the trailer behind us for for all of those short of about 4km, which is another story.

This resulted in an average fuel economy over the entire trip of 12.6L/100KM, or 18.66MPG for those who still lean that way. Honestly, I’m pretty happy with that considering we were loaded pretty well including carrying 50-60L of freshwater in the trailers tanks a lot of the time for showers and dishes, etc, plus wastewater in the holding tanks.

The best tank of fuel yielded an incredible 10.09L/100KM across 251KM of driving, achieved on Cape Cod. Flat, reasonably low speeds, and some in-town sightseeing etc - but with the trailer behind us for every single one of those kilometers.

The worst fuel economy of the entire trip was one of the last stretches - the 110KM stretch from the Bridge coming back into Canada to the Tyendinaga area (cheap gas at the reserve), yielding a crappy 18.9L/100KM thanks to a stiff headwind we were blasting straight into. Once that subsided a little it dropped to 15 at 100kph on the 401.

I know fiddles is actively looking so more eyes never hurt. A friend went to pull their 2010 palomino stampede hybrid out of its winter home in a locked barn and it's gone. If anyone sees something helpful, let me know and I will pass it along. Thieves suck.

img-1-1679703522675.webp

Last edited:
I know fiddles is actively looking so more eyes never hurt. A friend went to pull their 2010 palomino stampede hybrid out of its winter home in a locked barn and it's gone. If anyone sees something helpful, let me know and I will pass it along. Thieves suck.

img-1-1679703522675.webp
I just checked a bunch of RV groups I'm a part of on Facebook but didn't see it for sale...I'll keep my eyes open for it there, on Marketplace and Kijiji as well...sorry to hear this happened to your friend...I've read a few stories similar to his this week... :(

I just checked a bunch of RV groups I'm a part of on Facebook but didn't see it for sale...I'll keep my eyes open for it there, on Marketplace and Kijiji as well...sorry to hear this happened to your friend...I've read a few stories similar to his this week... :(
I figure odds are low that is shows up locally but thanks for looking. Like I said, more eyes never hurt.

I figure odds are low that is shows up locally but thanks for looking. Like I said, more eyes never hurt.
Seeing as these have a VIN and require registration with the MTO it will probably never be plated.
Probably end up on some private property up north where it will never be seen by any authorities or the public.

Too bad and sucks for your friends.

Gets a roller coat of green paint and it’s a moose camp 900 kms away .

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com
That was exactly my thinking.

Back
Top Bottom