Touring with a Tuono? | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Touring with a Tuono?

I like the Akrapovic exhaust on my RSV4. It's not obscenely loud unless you are flat stick, and it sounds great.

I've got the Arka also. Great sound not too loud.
Love the V4 sound.
Would like to add a Vmax, and a VFR1200 to make the ultimate V4 collection. Dreaming of lotto max.
But in reality the Tuono does it all. So it's my do everything bike.

Oh that sweet sound of the V4... Oh, um...my pants.

See 2:45 mins (for the bike, not my soiled pants).

[video=youtube;tNiA9OwvdoI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNiA9OwvdoI[/video]

Does this video give the impression that anyone can be a moto journalist? Is the prerequisite being able to drag knee alone?

But what about reliability and availability of parts? If you break down in some remote town chances are there's a shop nearby who can find parts for a Japanese bike and fix it. And the extra gizmos in the Italian/German bikes means there's more stuff to break down and fewer mechanics who know how to fix it. For this reason I'd stick with a Japanese bike if I'm touring.

If I'm bored, I don't care about parts for my japanese bike either. :)

But what about reliability and availability of parts? If you break down in some remote town chances are there's a shop nearby who can find parts for a Japanese bike and fix it. And the extra gizmos in the Italian/German bikes means there's more stuff to break down and fewer mechanics who know how to fix it. For this reason I'd stick with a Japanese bike if I'm touring.

When my RS125 broke down outside of North Bay the first shop I called was a sport bike shop. They said, "We're not familiar with it. We've never even seen one. We're not interested in seeing one. We don't touch anything not Japanese." I got a suggestion which was a place that sells more dirt bikes. They went, "Well a 2 stroke is a 2 stroke so we'll look at it." That place still wasn't willing to try to fix it at all. In reality it's essentially a dirt bike engine so I can't see why not but I think they only sold Yamaha dirt bikes so maybe they're not so great for service.

Dealers don't stock anything. When was the last time a dealer had anything in stock? Filters that's about all you can depend on a dealer for. Otherwise you wait for them to order it in. You would be in a similar situation Japanese bike or not.

When I was out west I knew I would need a oil change.
So I brought oil filters with me. I couldn't find a shop that would change oil on anything but a Harley.
I usually do them myself but when on the road figure easier to have it done. Nope.
Ended up borrowing some tools and a pan at a gas station and changing oil in the parking lot. They didn't change oil on bikes either.
Best to know your machine so that you can be somewhat self reliant.

I ran into that with my 944 in North Bay. No one stocked the oil or air filter so I couldn't get an oil change done. I had to wait until I got home and do it myself since I have a stock of filters.

Even in Toronto everywhere wants $50 for each when I can get them out of the US for $8 each. I did find some Canadian online retailers that have them for like $16 but it's still cheaper to order from Rock Auto in the US.

Nobody keeps stock and even getting Suzuki parts takes time now. Used to be next-day for almost anything, recently it was 5 (yes 5) weeks to get OEM rotor bolt kit. 3-5 days to get Ti ones that were about the same price. Guess what I do next?

Ha..ha..ha..for sure nothing beats that V4 sound, not even the Ducs. Wait until you replace it with aftermarket exhaust and your neighbors will start throwing eggs at your house. It's the closest you get to what MotoGP bikes sound like.

And that is where we disagree. They sound good but not nearly as good as the TL series twins. To me at any rate.

Question for Aprilia owners or to those that are in the know - Are the fuel tanks of a plastic construction?

Question for Aprilia owners or to those that are in the know - Are the fuel tanks of a plastic construction?

Most of the tanks are made of "PA6 polyamide plastic" these days...I always use Shell gas, so no issues with any of the bikes.

Last edited:
Mine is. I buy any gas, usually the cheapest 91 on my way home, and I've not had any issues. Although the tank has a cover top and bottom and I've never tried to open it up so maybe it's all distorted in there.

Last edited:

I have a plastic tank, I'm not sure of the type. I believe they are made by Acrebis. It warped, but it is a track bike so I wasn't too concerned, although from what I hear, Aprilia does replace the tanks. And if you remove the fuel, it goes back to the original shape.

Thanks for the reply veteq, unL33T, and JPR - I guess there is no issue. Originally, the primary reason for asking was that the bike's center of gravity seemed lower than expected, hence the plastic tank question. I later read that deformation of plastic tanks can occur with various manufactures including Aprilia: http://deformedfueltanks.com/ - questionable source?

That aside, I can't even imagine the fabrication challenges today's tank styling/designs would pose on manufacturers.

Well one guy said it deformed but went back and like I said, I haven't looked under the cover of mine.

It has been an issue in some states where it's VERY hot and the fuel has a high ethanol content. Think California, Florida, Texas. Doesn't seem to happen to all bikes and it seems to have been more or less sorted out since about 2012. Just another reason to hate ethanol in the fuel. I use Shell 91 or Canadian Tire 91 when possible, they have no ethanol content.

As noted, this has happened to a variety of brands since the US and Canada mandated 10% ethanol in most fuels. In most of the world (although not so much South America), there is no ethanol in the fuel and it caught the manufacturers by surprise.

Last edited:
The other common problem with Tuono/RSV4 was the TPS, not sure if they managed to fix it or not. I think mine still has that issue, abrupt power at around 5K rpm. Dealer couldn't find out the issue, it was on and off a few times.

Back
Top Bottom