Tory takes aim at noisy motorcycles | Page 9 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Tory takes aim at noisy motorcycles

Many south of the border timeshare resorts will not allow for you to ride in on your motorcycle. Why? Because the few X$%$ who insist on being as loud as a jet airplane for attention or being "safe"? have banned all motorcycles. Just like our grade-school teachers told us, the few spoil it for the many.

I don't think you will ever see them strictly enforce the noise pollution aspect of individuals altering an exhaust system, it will be the air polluters the feds will go after, noise is a municipal affair, air quality is a global problem.

Many south of the border timeshare resorts will not allow for you to ride in on your motorcycle. Why? Because the few X$%$ who insist on being as loud as a jet airplane for attention or being "safe"? have banned all motorcycles. Just like our grade-school teachers told us, the few spoil it for the many.

And that’s precisely the problem. This is a prime example of what happens if we don’t police ourselves and disregard others around us and it goes for quite a few different situations, not just motorcycle noise.

buck-a beer - didn't work out
the next beer initiative is not likely to work out

Premier Biff
is a wiff

the Libs had to go
but really?

5 years of this?

oy, vey

buck-a beer - didn't work out
the next beer initiative is not likely to work out

Premier Biff
is a wiff

the Libs had to go
but really?

5 years of this?

oy, vey
You need a new habit. Tory isn't Premier.

Reactions: J_F
Hard to enforce noise bylaws for vehicles. John Tory is a phony grandstander.
Thats why they needed TPS help. MLS has no authority to stop vehicles so the by-law is basically useless without TPS to make people submit to the testing. TPS is going through a "modernization" so they had no time or money for this. Obviously Tory/council made it a priority and took some time away from something else.

Hopefully, they do it right, if they're going to do it at all, and go after the mechanics that are giving the bikes a safety pass, or the people doing the modifications without putting the bike through a safety. Otherwise, it's just a drop in the bucket.

I don't think you will ever see them strictly enforce the noise pollution aspect of individuals altering an exhaust system, it will be the air polluters the feds will go after, noise is a municipal affair, air quality is a global problem.

It (motorcycles in Canada that ride half the year) is a drop in the bucket until China & US actually give a damn.
Also if they're going to enforce this, they should enforce it on everything not just cars and bikes. Anything that emits.

Last edited:
I remember living in an apartment complex in France where you couldn’t mow your lawn on a weekend. I thought that was a bit fascistic until I realized just how peaceful everything was at the time of the week where you generally have the longest time to decompress and relax.

I remember living in an apartment complex in France where you couldn’t mow your lawn on a weekend. I thought that was a bit fascistic until I realized just how peaceful everything was at the time of the week where you generally have the longest time to decompress and relax.
Part of the Toronto Noise By-law review was people pushing hard to minimize lawn care noise. The proponents wanted an outright ban on blowers as a rake accomplishes the same thing in silence (but slower) and ideally an ICE ban for residential lawn mowers/trimmers. They weren't wrong that the currently available plug in or battery solutions are more than adequate for the overwhelming majority of Toronto postage stamp lawns, but they got nowhere. The practicality of banning ICE lawn care is a nightmare. Do you give people a ten year time horizon to allow them to use their current equipment for its useful life? Do you make it a specific date and drive around with a dumpster to collect a million small ICE machines?

If they were serious about this there’d be a federal program to give some large rebate/discount on electric equipment when you hand in an old gas mower. Might sound expensive but these are long term gains with a long lead in time. The pollution aspect would be one thing and the noise abatement would be a welcome side effect.

In urban areas, a trade-in rebate for scrapping a combustion-engine-powered lawn mower or snow blower and replacing it with an electric one is not a terrible idea. Those small engines (carbureted, with no emission controls) have HC, CO, and PM emissions orders of magnitude out of proportion to their size, in addition to the noise. (And the electric ones never fail to start, and they don't need any special care over the winter, and they don't need oil changes or spark plugs or air filters, so it is a win for the end user as well. I forgot to put away my electric lawnmower last fall ... it spent the winter abandoned in the back yard. Nothing bad happened to it. Plugged it in ... pulled handle ... it works.)

I haven't totally gone electric as my lawn occasionally gets a bit long and it’s thick and I wonder if an electric mower could cope (my old one from years ago couldn’t) My gas strimmer has been retired though. The battery one and the battery blower are a dream to use.

My electric is the old school kind with the long cord that you have to guide as you do the lawn ... not the newfangled battery kind. It's fine for my typical postage-stamp-sized urban yard. It gets through long grass well enough.

I haven't totally gone electric as my lawn occasionally gets a bit long and it’s thick and I wonder if an electric mower could cope (my old one from years ago couldn’t) My gas strimmer has been retired though. The battery one and the battery blower are a dream to use.
Plug in electric should get through anything (worst-case, don't cut a full width to ease the load). Some battery mowers (Dewalt included) are fine if you stay on top of things but entirely (*&(*& the bed if you let it get long.

It happens far too often with my immediate neighbours. I’m almost convinced that some of my neighbours are waiting until I get the backyard all set and we are sitting outside...SMH. It’s always mid to late afternoon on a Saturday and/or Sunday.

The only one who cuts his grass on a weekday other than me is my next door neighbour with the cordless electric mower .

So I’d be all for that rule

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

until China & US actually give a damn.

Ummm China does
As of March 2019, China has 46 nuclear reactors in operation with a capacity of 42.8 GW and 11 under construction with a capacity of 10.8 GW.

..the US is spotty - some jurisdictions don't ....

China has banned ICE motorcycles in cities and is reducing coal use very rapidly plus has far and away the largest expanding solar program as well as building nukes.

or are you just trying to dodge your polluter pays bill by pointing elsewhere? :rolleyes:...

Back
Top Bottom