Tory takes aim at noisy motorcycles | Page 10 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Tory takes aim at noisy motorcycles

I haven't totally gone electric as my lawn occasionally gets a bit long and it’s thick and I wonder if an electric mower could cope (my old one from years ago couldn’t) My gas strimmer has been retired though. The battery one and the battery blower are a dream to use.

We went with the 40 volt Ryobi and get about 1800 square feet of lawn cut out of a charge with a bit left for the trimmer. Quiet safe and simple. It is slower though but only a few minutes.

We were out for a walk a while back and a Harley passed by at a low throttle setting. His noise was drowned out by the ICE lawn mower across the street.

Ummm China does

..the US is spotty - some jurisdictions don't ....

China has banned ICE motorcycles in cities and is reducing coal use very rapidly plus has far and away the largest expanding solar program as well as building nukes.

or are you just trying to dodge your polluter pays bill by pointing elsewhere? :rolleyes:...

You think they're really doing as much as they can? They're going to peak emissions in 2030 they say and that's if you trust their word.

Scientists Track a Banned Climate Pollutant's Mysterious Rise to East China

Mystery Solved: Warming Superpollutant Tracked to China

Last edited:
Blech. I'm beginning to think it might be time to move on from GTAM. It's starting to sound like perhaps I don't have as much in common with a lot of my fellow motorcyclists as I thought. Maybe it's generational.

Long live the internal combustion engine and the sweet mechanical symphony it makes.

I am willing to bet you're just joking around and are not serious, because it's hard to believe anyone can be such an ******* and idiot at the same time.

Nope. Just tired of the selfish children in the community ruining the sport for all. It's time to pay the piper. There is no reason for anyone to install loud pipes other then trying to be a noisy jerk.

Hail the internal combustion engine and the sweet mechanical symphony it makes (y) We lived in a really great era.

We lived to see the technology go from exploration to state of the art and if you are really really lucky enough to live long enough you will see it become obsolete.

Blech. I'm beginning to think it might be time to move on from GTAM. It's starting to sound like perhaps I don't have as much in common with a lot of my fellow motorcyclists as I thought. Maybe it's generational.

Long live the internal combustion engine and the sweet mechanical symphony it makes.

I know. These days it seems like motorcycling is all about fuel economy, longest lasting tires, who makes the cheapest adventure bike, how much crap can you pack on your bike.

Used to be what looked the coolest, wheelies, what sounds good, wheelies, fast bikes and more wheelies.

The change sucks.

Nope. Just tired of the selfish children in the community ruining the sport for all. It's time to pay the piper. There is no reason for anyone to install loud pipes other then trying to be a noisy jerk.

There are a lot of people out there that are sick of motorcycles riding around on the streets and they think there is no reason to own a motorcycle than be a jerk. Just because YOU don't like something doesn't mean nobody else should have the right to it.

There are a lot of people out there that are sick of motorcycles riding around on the streets and they think there is no reason to own a motorcycle than be a jerk. Just because YOU don't like something doesn't mean nobody else should have the right to it.
What happened, did you tell your family doctor that you ride motorcycles and get The lecture :LOL:

I know. These days it seems like motorcycling is all about fuel economy, longest lasting tires, who makes the cheapest adventure bike, how much crap can you pack on your bike.

Used to be what looked the coolest, wheelies, what sounds good, wheelies, fast bikes and more wheelies.

The change sucks.
THIS!
I can remember a day when i wouldn't have dared to think of taking a phone with me on a ride, or of having speakers in my helmet. And everyone on two wheels was your mate.
Maybe we need an alternative to the so called "advrider", I'm thinking about it.

Last edited:

I remember when it was like that but also when people were less self centred, less selfish and more considerate of other people.

The change sucks.
I don't know, I've been riding since the late 70s, I think when you get down to it there are riders and posers -- it was like that then, it's still like that now.

Riders don't care what you think of their ride, pull most of their wheelies when it suits them and nobody's watching, and can get a thrill out of riding a Vino fast.

Posers care about the shine, led underglow, throttle blip and redline noise, YouTubing their wheelies and occasionally blasting in a straight line a few kmh past their capabilities.

I'm a rider.

You think they're really doing as much as they can? They're going to peak emissions in 2030 they say and that's if you trust their word.

far more than the US given the resources. Stop moving goal posts...you stated China didn't care
....so that gives you a free pass apparently..
They have no choice but to care

Smog-hit-Chinese-cities--009.jpg

..and are taking very large scale action on any number of fronts one of which is banning ICE motorcycles from cities and another heavily funding EV vehicles which they will make money on ....just as they do with solar panels.

This hardly seems the action of a nation that "doesn't care" .....from your link.
China has mounted an investigation of more than 1,000 companies to see which Chinese firms violated international law by using trichlorofluoromethane

far more than the US given the resources. Stop moving goal posts...you stated China didn't care
....so that gives you a free pass apparently..
They have no choice but to care

Smog-hit-Chinese-cities--009.jpg

..and are taking very large scale action on any number of fronts one of which is banning ICE motorcycles from cities and another heavily funding EV vehicles which they will make money on ....just as they do with solar panels.

This hardly seems the action of a nation that "doesn't care" .....from your link.

10 years on the forum and you still don't know how to quote properly :LOL:
It was a US researcher who discovered what was going on in China with that pollutant, only after it was exposed did China mount that investigation. How much care is that? Why didn't they spot what was going on in their own country first? What they're doing is better than nothing, but they can't even get those solar panels you mention to work over there from all the pollution so what are they doing? Resorting to more coal. China Energy Group is planning to build 11 gigawatts of new coal power during this and next year.
So they might care, they have to. But when it comes down to it, they'll add more pollution in the mean time if needed.
My original point still stands, motorcycles in Canada are a drop in the bucket compared to what's going on globally.

My original point still stands, motorcycles in Canada are a drop in the bucket compared to what's going on globally.

Pretty sure Canada overall is a drop in the pollution world bucket. We have so little population and large amounts of land. But people look at per cap etc and figured out we pollute a lot more then it seems. Also not sure how they factor in climate. We have to heat our homes, most other countries do not. I am interested in moving away from fossil fuels if there are reasonable altrenatives, right now there doesn't seem to be and we are being carbon taxed on something with little or no alternatives.

Pretty sure Canada overall is a drop in the pollution world bucket. We have so little population and large amounts of land. But people look at per cap etc and figured out we pollute a lot more then it seems. Also not sure how they factor in climate. We have to heat our homes, most other countries do not. I am interested in moving away from fossil fuels if there are reasonable altrenatives, right now there doesn't seem to be and we are being carbon taxed on something with little or no alternatives.

per capita squared to land mass, yes we are green here
but until we find a better way to extract energy than this
Canada has NO right to lecture anyone on the environment

never thought I'd see this toxic landscape again
but I'm back up here.....downturn not withstanding
the $$ are a lure that is hard to resist

36wqRUu.jpg

per capita squared to land mass, yes we are green here
but until we find a better way to extract energy than this
Canada has NO right to lecture anyone on the environment

never thought I'd see this toxic landscape again
but I'm back up here.....downturn not withstanding
the $$ are a lure that is hard to resist
Looks kinda nasty
I thought they had a method to steam the material outta the ground with less of a impact on the surroundings.

Looks kinda nasty
I thought they had a method to steam the material outta the ground with less of a impact on the surroundings.

in-situ
that is the way of the future
or it was, but we ran out of time/demand

was happening with oil > $100 bbl
those places are not sustainable @ $60 oil
and Alberta oil takes a massive discount to get to market

a pipeline would help
to get costs down and avoid the tragedies
like rail shipping DilBit, ala Lake Magentic

time is gonna run out on the Canadian oil industry
alternative energies and smarter thinking are gonna make it the Dodo Bird

Should i use 30 wt or 40 wt in my gixxer?

Rain begins with a single drop. Don't ever think you are too small to matter.

Canada is one of the worst offenders and we can do so much better.
Canada is a resource hungry country that requires a lot of energy. Distances are vast, so moving goods around uses copious amounts of fuel. We heat using fuel. We have tough driving conditions that leads many to heavy rugged vehicles.

That said, we have been stewards of our vast greenspace which filters and sequesters massive amounts of carbon. Nobody ever puts that part on Canada's balance sheet.

Back
Top Bottom