Tory takes aim at noisy motorcycles | Page 18 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Tory takes aim at noisy motorcycles

Well I installed the db killer in my pipe this morning.
Maybe it was the peer pressure :unsure:
But didn’t last long. It’s out again.
I have decided that it’s acceptable just the way I like it. If I get a ticket I will reevaluate at that time.
I actually pulled it out while the bike was running and the volume at idle didn’t seem all that different. Just deeper
So is this even a street legal exhaust system to begin with?
I bet no, how far off am I ? ???

This discussion can go on forever, I'm driving an AMG Benz this weekend, it would pass any noise bylaw. Until I push the button on the consol to go into sport plus mode, then you can hear it 3 blocks away. The backpressure gurgul off the exhaust when you let off is really fun, unless your behind me, or on the sidewalk. It makes small dogs yip and children cry.
This will be the future in motorcycle settings , electronic modes that control exhaust noise just likes all the high end sport cars

So is this even a street legal exhaust system to begin with?
I bet no, how far off am I ? ???

I’m not sure about in Canada or with the DB killer out.
I bought the bike with the pipe on it but best I call tell it’s this one.
I have plenty of friends in blue and everyone of them has said leave it out it sounds better. Although not in uniform at the time. ?
KTM / LC 8 ADVENTURE 1190 2013/16 / FURORE NERO / KTM.55.FUNE

I’m not sure about in Canada or with the DB killer out.
I bought the bike with the pipe on it but best I call tell it’s this one.
I have plenty of friends in blue and everyone of them has said leave it out it sounds better. Although not in uniform at the time. ?
KTM / LC 8 ADVENTURE 1190 2013/16 / FURORE NERO / KTM.55.FUNE
"For a correct use of product in order to obtain a powertest similar to our dynochart it is necessary remap the engine in racing configuration (Ktm map) Without configuration motorbike will keep a good increase at low RPM losing at high"

So no, that is not street legal if installed correctly and if not installed correctly, congratulations it now makes more noise and eats more fuel then it is suppose to while producing reduced power at high rpm.

18 pages and no resolution. So what generates more noise, loud pipes or talking about them?
The scream that goes out when they ban internal combustion engines in a decade or so will be fairly loud, but will fall on deft ears because it's a done deal.

Where's that "Why are peope so stupid?" thread when you need it?

Interesting conversation with a person who has no motorcycle experience last nite. A few stragglers from the weekend HA party went behind our house making a huge racket, and i said "loud pipes saves lives...bah". He said,"do they... How many?"
I tried in vain to explain that the annoyance factor far outweighed their passion for pipes, but he persisted. If they save one life... Well?
My university professor friend has a good point. And needed more data.

Last edited:
IF loud pipes REALLY saved lives, then you would be negligent if you didn't have loud pipes.
How many negligence lawsuits have there been challenging a ride that didn't have loud pipes?

NONE ZERO NOT ONE
There is your answer.

Same goes with AGATT.

Need a scientific reason? Vestibular Hyperacusis
Noise can make some people literally lose balance, how do you know you and the guy driving next to you don't have it.

Interesting conversation with a person who has no motorcycle experience last nite. A few stragglers from the weekend HA party went behind our house making a huge racket, and i said "loud pipes saves lives...bah". He said,"do they... How many?"
I tried in vain to explain that the annoyance factor far outweighed their passion for pipes, but he persisted. If they save one life... Well?
My university professor friend has a good point. And needed more data.
You're not going to win a "loud pipes saves lives" argument with an advocate for that cause... they are already deafened from the noise.

The argument I have is 1) noise pollution and 2) loud pipes have never alerted me to an invisible driver. I'm tired of hearing the guy down the street clear the throat on his open pipe RoadKing or fart canned Subaroo every time he rounds the corner in front of my house.

I was at the Edenvale Aerodrome a few weeks ago for a car/bike/plane show. I hope the dbag on a Harley is incredibly proud of himself as he made my kids scream in terror as he revved the %&*% out of it with straight pipes while duckwalking around. *&(^(*&^ me. I wanted to kick the prick over.

I was at the Edenvale Aerodrome a few weeks ago for a car/bike/plane show. I hope the dbag on a Harley is incredibly proud of himself as he made my kids scream in terror as he revved the %&*% out of it with straight pipes while duckwalking around. *&(^(*&^ me. I wanted to kick the prick over.
Train your kids to point and laugh next time.

Train your kids to point and laugh next time.
Not a bad idea when they are older and better able to withstand the onslaught. I am not sure that will work though. Dbag obviously cant hear what is happening so he will probably think they are pointing at his cool manly bike. Teaching them tiny penis hand signals gets the point across to the rider but probably isnt the best parenting move.

He was ~150' away and way over 100 dBA where we were. It must have been lovely for those that were 5' from him.

It will work if everybody does it.
giphy.gif

Is there some inherent Harley design that makes them so terribly loud once they are straight piped? I’ve completely taken the muffler off my bike (in the garage) and its nowhere near as loud. Even a liter bike with a full GP exhaust doesn’t come close unless its really revved up.

I was sitting in a boardroom at work the other day. Brick building, double pane glass, setback from the street, etc. There was a HD driving past that was so loud the entire meeting had to stop for 15 seconds until the guy was down the street. I can’t imagine how you even enjoy riding a bike that’s so loud.

The 4 inch stroke might have something to do with it.

Is there some inherent Harley design that makes them so terribly loud once they are straight piped? I’ve completely taken the muffler off my bike (in the garage) and its nowhere near as loud. Even a liter bike with a full GP exhaust doesn’t come close unless its really revved up.

I was sitting in a boardroom at work the other day. Brick building, double pane glass, setback from the street, etc. There was a HD driving past that was so loud the entire meeting had to stop for 15 seconds until the guy was down the street. I can’t imagine how you even enjoy riding a bike that’s so loud.
I don't know. My Aprilia Tuono with a Arrow GP slip on seemed a lot louder then either of my Harley's have. One had slip ons and the current one has a Vance and Hines full exhaust. I think it probably has more to do with exhaust choice.

Low frequency waves travel further than high frequency waves because there is less energy.
A 2 cylinder radial aircraft engine with a 4 inch stroke makes a pretty good boom, lots of sound energy.

...Tuono puts out twice as many booms that are half as big :|

Back
Top Bottom