Tory takes aim at noisy motorcycles | Page 19 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Tory takes aim at noisy motorcycles

Is there some inherent Harley design that makes them so terribly loud once they are straight piped? I’ve completely taken the muffler off my bike (in the garage) and its nowhere near as loud. Even a liter bike with a full GP exhaust doesn’t come close unless its really revved up.
Although minimal, a GP exhaust still has some absorption. Going from zero to something makes a big difference.

Turbo charger actually helps quiet some exhaust sound too,
then it adds a sound of its own (y) sort of a high pitch zooooom

Muffling sound is basic physics. Most sportbikes have smaller pipes and a few twists and turns to the exhaust, this causes sound waves to bounce back and forth as they turn the corners on an exhaust. The more soundwaves bounce off each other, the more they cancel each other.

Big VEE twins have larger pipes and fewer turns -- this lets sound energy escape with very little cancellation.

Most decent GOP exhausts are baffled, the baffles are designed to redirect soundwaves against themselves to cancel some sound while allowing the exhaust gasses to flow with minimal interruption at high RPM. Still loud, but will run quiet up till about 12 throttle.

First off though, if it's a modern motorcycle then it came equipped with a cat converter and if it's obnoxious loud, it is also an obnoxious polluter too.

First off though, if it's a modern motorcycle then it came equipped with a cat converter and if it's obnoxious loud, it is also an obnoxious polluter too.

Also makes the owner liable for a sizeable fine for monkeying with the anti pollution equipment, and makes it illegal to sell the bike in Ontario.

Also makes the owner liable for a sizeable fine for monkeying with the anti pollution equipment, and makes it illegal to sell the bike in Ontario.

... although, at least thus far, no one is checking. No Drive Clean, not included in a safety standards certificate inspection.

... although, at least thus far, no one is checking. No Drive Clean, not included in a safety standards certificate inspection.
I thought part of the revised standard inspection included checking for cats and dbag headlights? Am I misremembering or did they get removed?

As far as I can recall, MOT Safety inspections looks for mandatory equipment that impacts road safety (lights, brakes, fenders) and the mechanical fitness of the frame, fasteners, and final drive, and wear items like tires, cables, bearings and brakes.

An exhaust systems needs to be present -- that's it.

Why would one expect federal environment law to show up on MOT safety anything :/
It's illegal to mess with your emissions control equipment unless you just don't want to believe it.

... might even be on page one of your owner manual in big bold print.

It is illegal to tamper with emissions equipment for on-road vehicles. But, at least in this case, no one is checking. (How hard is this to understand??)

Maybe I missed it, but is there a link somewhere to the noise level limits imposed by the new Toronto bylaw?

Does anyone know why motorcycles were exempt from being tested under the old Drive Clean scam?

Or why most (any?) motorcycles don't require catalyst efficiency monitors (e.g. post-cat O2 sensor)?

re emissions, it's hard to believe we have motorcycling "enthusiasts" here that are more intrusive than McGuinty and Wynne.

Climate change could be real. More children have respiratory ailements then ever. Noise bylaws have come into play. Competition bikes have noise rules at some tracks, off road access in the parks I frequent in the US have spark arrestor rules and are pretty up front that loud isnt cool.

Townships have allowed cottage 'associations' to form and pass bylaws that limit hp of boats, motors completely and killed wakeboats completely in some places. Enjoy the fun while it lasts folks.

Does anyone know why motorcycles were exempt from being tested under the old Drive Clean scam?

Or why most (any?) motorcycles don't require catalyst efficiency monitors (e.g. post-cat O2 sensor)?

re emissions, it's hard to believe we have motorcycling "enthusiasts" here that are more intrusive than McGuinty and Wynne.
No ODBII port on motorcycles, would require tailpipe equipment. Same reasons they don't do lawnmowers, ATVs, boats, planes...

No ODBII port on motorcycles, would require tailpipe equipment. Same reasons they don't do lawnmowers, ATVs, boats, planes...

The lack of an OBD-II port doesn't explain the exemption when it was still done on a rolling road with a sniffer stuck in the tailpipe.

I'm trying to understand the do-gooders here that are making such a big deal of tampering with a system even the worst of Liberal governments didn't care enough to check.

The lack of an OBD-II port doesn't explain the exemption when it was still done on a rolling road with a sniffer stuck in the tailpipe.

I'm trying to understand the do-gooders here that are making such a big deal of tampering with a system even the worst of Liberal governments didn't care enough to check.
Motorcycles were not subject to emissions standards until 2006 in Canada. Tailpipe sniffers were obsolete by then.

Back
Top Bottom