Tory takes aim at noisy motorcycles | Page 16 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Tory takes aim at noisy motorcycles

I run straight thru exhaust on my R6 on the street because I like the tingly feeling in my bum when I rev the motor. ?

I also keep it low rpm in town and shut off the bike once I pull into my street; no reason to piss off others.

Holy **** @Trials: Are you the guy on the 401 doing exactly 100kph coz that's what the law sez and by gum that's what you're-a-gonna-do?
I'm easy to spot on the 401driving through Toronto, I'm the guy who is not tailgating.

I'm easy to spot on the 401driving through Toronto, I'm the guy who is not tailgating.

But seriously: Is there a law you've broken? Ever traveled in excess of 100kph on a 400-series highway, for example? Or exceed the 80kph speed limit on secondary roads? What about the 50kph limit on surface roads? Do you always come to a complete stop at stop-signs, count a couple of steamboats and then proceed?

You seem really hung up on the exhaust labeling legal stuff and really wonder what laws you're not so serious about.

But seriously: Is there a law you've broken? Ever traveled in excess of 100kph on a 400-series highway, for example? Or exceed the 80kph speed limit on secondary roads? What about the 50kph limit on surface roads? Do you always come to a complete stop at stop-signs, count a couple of steamboats and then proceed?

You seem really hung up on the exhaust labeling legal stuff and really wonder what laws you're not so serious about.

First off only an idiot would post on a forum that they broke a law, or promote illegal activity.
As for EPA and the environment and such; I try to be part of the solution and less part of the problem.

"THIS PRODUCT DOES NOT MEET EMISSION COMPLIANCE REQUIREMENTS FOR STREET OR HIGHWAY USE."
... what term would y'all prefer? Race exhaust? Closed course competition use only exhaust? or something else?

All closed course competition events have sound restrictions, they are written in your competition rule book.
Offroad works for me.

Methinks you're not familiar with driving the Six... it's impossible not to tailgate. As soon as you leave more than 1 car length ahead of you, another driver will instinctively claim that space.

Methinks you're not familiar with driving the Six... it's impossible not to tailgate. As soon as you leave more than 1 car length ahead of you, another driver will instinctively claim that space.
Very familiar with that particular problem, I usually try and tuck in a minimal safe distance behind the fastest transport truck on the road. That even works when you are hauling a 5th wheel travel trailer through L.A. Nobody wants to tailgate a transport and if you do want to cut between me and the transport truck ahead, go for it, I'll try not to squish you if he stops fast.

Well for the record ya I do go over the speed limit often, it’s more fun that way.
Yes I wear ear plugs for wind not exhaust. I guess that’s hard to believe for you.
When I ride over 100km with my bell mx9 Adventure helmet I find the wind is loud
With my speed and strength helmet I find less noise but also less ventilation
Mx9 with plugs is best of both worlds.
Yes my aftermarket exhaust is road legal and does not have any markings suggesting otherwise.
On the manufacturer web site it states it as a road exhaust not race

Well for the record ya I do go over the speed limit often, it’s more fun that way.
Yes I wear ear plugs for wind not exhaust. I guess that’s hard to believe for you.
When I ride over 100km with my bell mx9 Adventure helmet I find the wind is loud
With my speed and strength helmet I find less noise but also less ventilation
Mx9 with plugs is best of both worlds.
Yes my aftermarket exhaust is road legal and does not have any markings suggesting otherwise.
On the manufacturer web site it states it as a road exhaust not race
Beating a dead horse lol ...
Everyone has picked sides already and there's no convincing either side. Thread has been entertaining though.

About the bell helmet .. seems like wind noise is an inherent design flaw, or perhaps a trade off for better ventilation, as you pointed out. My Bell star is horrible even at lower speeds. Ear plugs go a long way.

Just because you can buy flashing lights and siren at PA, doesn't mean you can go out with on.

So what makes a pipe legal then?
I’m not beating the poor horse I actually would like to know.
Is there a law stating that you may only have an oem muffler?
What about the muffler on my wife’s car we bought at NAPA?
A slip on pipe is almost the first accessory installed on most bike from my experience.

Is there a law stating that you may only have an oem muffler?
What about the muffler on my wife’s car we bought at NAPA?
A slip on pipe is almost the first accessory installed on most bike from my experience.
Perhaps this may shed some light onto it ..

Not sure if this bill received royal assent.

Legal per CMVSS is different from legal per HTA is different from other provinces and states is different from local bylaw. Those warnings on aftermarket parts and the no-tampering admonishments on OEM parts are because the only parts guaranteed legal are the stock parts and that's the only way the OEM can sell the vehicle. The HTA does not require only stock parts, it only requires an "effective" muffler, whatever that means. Bylaw in Caledon and elsewhere is based on a functional test to a standard called SAE J2825. Racetracks have their own tests.

It will say right on it somewhere that it is EPA compliant specifically for that model bike. If you clean your bike real careful you might have seen it.
What it will never say on it is 'for closed course competition only.'
If it says nothing at all on an aftermarket exhaust and the bike was imported in this century, then it is assumed non-compliant until you test it to prove the appropriate compliance and then you get to affix a tag to it indicating it is compliant.

Also as required by law the emissions equipment warranty must exceed the life of virtually everything else on the bike, if your cat converter messes up without it being your fault, you are covered.

EPA only has jurisdiction in the USA. I own a completely stock and street-legal motorcycle which has no EPA (or DOT or any other US-related) compliance markings on it because it is a model that was never sold in the USA. The EPA stuff carries no legal meaning here. Transport Canada means something here ... but Transport Canada doesn't require those compliance markings.

There is no separate emissions warranty on motorcycles in Canada. Cars and trucks, yes. Motorcycles, no.

Now ... technically, any modification that could affect emissions on a road legal vehicle is a violation of the Clean Air Act. In Canada, that falls under the jurisdiction of Environment Canada (federal agency) to enforce it. And yes, every once in a while, they will get together with the OPP and do an enforcement blitz, generally on commercial vehicles, sometimes as part of the so-called "street racing" activities (generally they only pay attention to modified cars). Motorcycles? Never heard of it being done. I'm not sure either Environment Canada or the OPP have anyone qualified to do roadside assessments of motorcycle emission control components. Some very recent bikes never had catalysts. Some have them built into the muffler. Some have them built into the headers. Establishing whether the vehicle was originally built with an OEM catalyst, where it was supposed to be, and whether those catalysts are in place and functional requires research and potentially disassembly and inspection operations that aren't practical at a quick roadside inspection. Bear in mind that it is quite possible to take apart a muffler sufficiently to get at the catalyst, smash it out, and put it back together with no externally visible sign that anything has changed. It is also quite possible to take apart a muffler, do something internally to "de-restrict" it, carefully put it back together, and end up with a noisy muffler that preserves that valuable compliance label. It is also quite possible for corrosion and vibration and general wear and tear to do that job for you, over a period of time.

If Ontario were serious about preserving OEM emission system compliance then they would have continued the Drive Clean program and extended it to cover motorcycles (which it never did). Instead, they cancelled it. Now the cops can't even require the vehicle to get a Drive Clean inspection because the means to do so aren't available any more.

As a vehicle owner you're responsible for complying with the Highway Traffic Act ... not necessarily the requirements that the original manufacturer had to meet. Law Document English View

"Every motor vehicle or motor assisted bicycle shall be equipped with a muffler in good working order and in constant operation to prevent excessive or unusual noise and excessive smoke, and no person shall use a muffler cut-out, straight exhaust, gutted muffler, hollywood muffler, by-pass or similar device upon a motor vehicle or motor assisted bicycle. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 75 (1).

(3) The engine and power mechanism of every motor vehicle shall be so equipped and adjusted as to prevent the escape of excessive fumes or smoke. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 75 (3)."

The word "excessive" isn't defined. It appears that if it's stock then it isn't "excessive". I've heard of riders of old two-stroke motorcycles being pulled over for emitting smoke ... had to get a mechanic to write up a letter stating that's how it always was. (I know who wrote up that letter)

And for the record, everything I own that's licensed for the road, still has its original emission control components (if it had any), if perhaps not the original muffler. The carbureted 1990 Yamaha has nothing in the way of emission controls - never did (the exhaust stinks). My high-mileage ZX10R still has all the emission control hardware in place including the catalyst built into the stock muffler, but I highly doubt that the catalyst does anything any more (the exhaust stinks - and sometimes it emits smoke! - burns oil ...).

No, EPA Canada is alive and well, has jurisdiction here and been a real thing since the turn of the century.
Canada standards are largely based on California EPA, probably because by simply doing that, we meet the international requirements and don't need to do all the expensive science.

Transport Canada adopting (essentially, selectively copying) EPA standards isn't the same as the EPA having jurisdiction here (because it doesn't).

My not-sold-in-USA motorcycle does not have the EPA-mandated disclaimer/warning on its stock exhaust system (because Transport Canada doesn't require it). It doesn't have the NHTSA-mandated DOT marking on its headlight (because Transport Canada doesn't require it). It does have european e-markings (because the same model was sold in europe).

US laws don't apply here. That doesn't stop Canadian agencies from copying US or european requirements (selectively, in some cases) and calling them their own.

Back
Top Bottom