Today I went down | GTAMotorcycle.com

Today I went down

msatrakkoic

Soo this is my first season riding. Went for a little rip today after the rain. Was riding west on queen past coxwell. Tried to turn into the mcdicks parking lot...and bam! Those streetcar tracks are waaaaayyyyy more slippery than I thought. I was stopped, and slowly started to turn when my front tire slid out, and the bike lowsided. The farings pretty mashed up, my clutch handle bar is pretty messed up. The shifter sheared off completly, and my mirror/turn signal are dunzo. Thankfully I am ok. Just a little bump on my elbow. I was just wearing my teknic back protector amd my teknic violator gloves (which took a lot of the impact).

When I went down, there were maybe 5-7 pedestrians around, and 3 cars in the oncoming lane (not sure about my lane)...nobody came over to ask if I was ok, or to help me get the bike up and off the road. In fact, as I was struggling with the bike, the oncoming traffic decided to drive around me. Luckily I was able to get it up and move it myself. Gotta love the people here in Canada.

I'm not sure what I should have done differently? I was moving slowly from a stopped position...perhaps I shouldve tried to be more perpendicular to the tracks, although I'm not sure that was possible.

Be careful out there.

That sucks, sorry to hear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All I can think is that a bit of throttle might have saved the day.

I'm sorry to hear of your get off. It's never fun when there is all that damage.

sorry to hear u went down man...I hated street car tracks even when I was on 4 wheels!:(

More throttle.

When you don't have enough momentum to get over things (like pine cones), you will lose your front and it's almost impossible to save that. As for the ppl in Toronto..yeah -_- I'm sorry to hear that the stereotype rang true in your scenario.

Cry me a river.... happens to a lot of ppl. Dust yourself off, get some cash, fix the bike and keep riding...

I had the opposite experience with bystanders. Don't blame Canada, blame Toronto, the most American city in Canada.

When I went down, there were maybe 5-7 pedestrians around, and 3 cars in the oncoming lane (not sure about my lane)...nobody came over to ask if I was ok, or to help me get the bike up and off the road. In fact, as I was struggling with the bike, the oncoming traffic decided to drive around me. Luckily I was able to get it up and move it myself. Gotta love the people here in Canada.

I'm not sure what I should have done differently? I was moving slowly from a stopped position...perhaps I shouldve tried to be more perpendicular to the tracks, although I'm not sure that was possible.
Sorry to hear and nice that you are ok. Many people do stop and help, just not the ones that were around you at the time - you're in Canada too:)

As for what you could have done differently, there are probably a number of things, but only you will know as you get more experienced and your observational and riding skills increase. The rain that came down was a short lived storm. That could potentially leave the roads a bit slick and of course the metal tracks even more. In the future, if you know where you are going to be turning (ie from the road into a parking lot while from a stopped position), then set yourself up before the turn to be in a better position so that you are more perpendicular to the tracks. This is something you are doing as you are approaching your stopped position. Once you are ready to start moving, make sure your head (not just your eyes) are turned and fully looking in the direction you want to go. I will often stay as far as possible from the streetcar track I am about to cross and it may have helped you to complete your handlebar movement before the turn, so that the tire is not changing direction while across the metal. Remember to use your rear brake in slow speed turns to help modulate your speed and increase control of the bike. Limit your front brake use in slow speed turns, especially in the wet and even more on wet metal. And yes, maybe more throttle. There's probably much more that could be pointed out by others.

Not sure what kind of bike you have but check salvage yards, or bike/model specific forums for replacement parts. It sounds like the damage to your bike is mostly cosmetic and simple to fix. Perhaps look into some frame sliders if applicable to protect your fairings in the future.
Ride safe.

Last edited:
I had the opposite experience with bystanders. Don't blame Canada, blame Toronto, the most American city in Canada.

oh how I so agree with you there...

OP.. ShaneKingsley posted some great advice. A lot of us have taken a fall.. once or twice even.

Last edited:
You need as little a time on the street tracks as possible. Don't ride them and cut them sharply when you need to turn.
Rain & metal is a slippery mix

Don't beat yourself up over it, any time you wipe out and are able to walk away its a good day.

I'll tell you the same thing i tell everyone else, get a hold of a dirt bike and play around with it. Slide the front, rear, drift...it will make you a much better rider on the street.

Glad to hear you are okay..
Chalk it up as a learning experience

Why does the 4th largest city in North America still use street cars?

They ruin traffic,
cost to much to maintain
The tracks need constant work

This city is beyond repair.

"If i was educated, I'd be a damn fool"

Sorry to hear this happen to yall, but we are all glad you are okay!

Like Rockerguy said:
You need as little a time on the street tracks as possible. Don't ride them and cut them sharply when you need to turn.
Rain & metal is a slippery mix

You need to be careful on those streetcar tracks and especially when raining or after rain.

It seems like most of the damaged parts you mentioned can be replaceable by yourself.

I suggested you speak with Glen over at http://www.fsmotorcycle.com/. He has great prices and can get you your new parts fairly quick.

Sorry to hear, yeah train tracks are a ***** in the wet. completely perpendicular and keeping your momentum would've been for the best but that's not easy when you're coming up on a turn and can't adjust your angle with the fear of drivers not paying attention. Just be sure not to let it discourage you from riding in the rain again.

In the 0.001 second it took for you to lose traction, there really isn't anything you could have done to keep the bike upright. It's akin to telling someone to shift their weight when they slip on ice... good luck trying to get your brain/body to do that in the heat of the moment.

Best advice? Stay off the tracks when it's wet (and in general if you have skinny tires).

When I went down, there were maybe 5-7 pedestrians around, and 3 cars in the oncoming lane (not sure about my lane)...nobody came over to ask if I was ok, or to help me get the bike up and off the road.

Other than being inconsiderate, I think most people that don't ride have no idea how heavy a motorcycle is. I'm guessing they think it weighs slightly more than a bicycle and that you don't need any help picking it up.

If I lived or rode downtown the only bike I'd own is a supermoto. Look into them OP. Your situation would have turned out quite differently. Pick it up, dust your jeans off, laugh in your lid as you ride away on a bike that has zero damage. Perhaps even do a quick wheelie to regain your confidence or drive over the roofs of the cars that past you by. Facetious of course, but a Supermoto can turn a nasty experience into a learning experience and not affect your wallet in the least.

Back
Top Bottom