Tire Levy on a Battery? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Tire Levy on a Battery?

-Maverick-

New level of insanity or is this a Princess Auto error? $20 Tire Levy on a battery?
36bacc2540b598592a9e72cc04ca6c95.jpg

Usually it’s a hold until you bring your old battery in.

But could be another charge / tax on it.

Environmental surcharge? Vague where the money goes?
It should be a wash. Bring in another battery and you get it back. It encourages you not to throw the old one in the can. If you don't bring the battery back, I assume the government wastes the $20.

Pretty sure when I purchased a new battery for my truck last fall it was a $20 deposit until you brought your old one back...core charge.

There is no provincial tax or mandate for environmental fees on auto batteries. I'll bet its a poorly implemented core charge.

Thought it was a core charge until I read this. As you proceed through the billing it states "may be subject to levies"... then it shows you "Tire Levy" on your Place Order page. I will confirm tomorrow if it's a poorly written webpage, or an actual levy / Trudeau Tax.

Sent from my ZTE A2020U Pro using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Most if not all batteries come from south of the border, new lead comes across the border, old lead goes back.

Probably a tax or a levy thing, someone much brighter than me can explain in more detail.

Most if not all batteries come from south of the border, new lead comes across the border, old lead goes back.

Probably a tax or a levy thing, someone much brighter than me can explain in more detail.
GM had a battery plant in Oshawa. The last time I was there decades ago I saw Canadian Tire batteries coming off the line.

Looks like a scam/ripoff to me. I've bought 2 batteries from Crappy Tire lately, including a Group 24 yesterday, with no such fees added on. It cost less than the PA one (factoring in the $20 scam fee). There is a $20 core charge, which is refunded if you trade in your old battery. Interestingly: If you do it at the time of purchase $20 comes off the top, before HST. If you Bring your core in later, as I did with the first one, you get your 20 bucks back, but you don't get the HST you paid on it. They might all come from the same plant, but I guess it will be easier to get a replacement from CT in the event I might have a warranty claim, especially if I'm out of town. There's a lot more CT stores around, than PA.

Last edited:
Looks like a scam/ripoff to me. I've bought 2 batteries from Crappy Tire lately, including a Group 24 yesterday, with no such fees added on. It cost less than the PA one (factoring in the $20 scam fee). There is a $20 core charge, which is refunded if you trade in your old battery. Interestingly: If you do it at the time of purchase $20 comes off the top, before HST. If you Bring your core in later, as I did with the first one, you get your 20 bucks back, but you don't get the HST you paid on it. They might all come from the same plant, but I guess it will be easier to get a replacement from CT in the event I might have a warranty claim, especially if I'm out of town. There's a lot more CT stores around, than PA.
I turned in 8 old batteries today and bought a new one at pa the 20 is a core charge and refunded when you turn in a old battery. They have group 24 deep cycle as well at the one in the link on sale for 99

Sent from the future

GM had a battery plant in Oshawa. The last time I was there decades ago I saw Canadian Tire batteries coming off the line.

Where do you think the lead was coming from?? Last time I checked there's no pit in the Shwa.

Probably one of the largest battery companies in the world is East Penn, as in East Pennsylvania Murica.

Turns out many of you were correct. The website adds "Levy Charge", then shows you the levy charge in the form of a "tire levy" instead of core charge when ordering online. That's some stellar programming.

The store is a mess...no one, not even the manager knew what a date code was. You could be buying a three year old "brand new" battery just like you could be buying ten year old "brand new" tires (happened to me last summer) I sent them back.

Staff looks like something on the end of a pencil stick...beard down to belly with beer breath. Are you allowed to drink on the job? Took them 20 mins to find out the date code after arguing with me that it didn't matter. Result was their date codes are buried in a propriety code rather than a sticker on top which has become the industry standard. Sticker or etched into the side.

I didn't buy the Class 24 battery from Canadian Tire as I read 140 one star reviews of them freezing. Once frozen, electrolyte freezes, pregnant casing, battery is scrap. Canadian Tire has taken a dive in batteries. Not going to be the 141'st one star review.

The Princess Auto ones are Made in Korea. Not the worst thing. 24 months exchange for $140 and a $15 gift card is a risk I'll take.

Takeaway?

Canada needs a new Automotive Supply chain.

Sent from my ZTE A2020U Pro using Tapatalk

My buddy used to drive the truck for Exide Batteries. CTC was one of their biggest contracts until they lost it a few years ago. I don't know who got it. The battery I recently got (in the fall) has been in my truck all winter. We had some pretty cold temps and it fared OK. The one I got 2 days ago is for my boat, so I'm not worried about it freezing. I don't put a lot of faith in website reviews. The battery I just bought is made in USA. Date code shows its 2 months old. I used up $69 of credits accumulated form buying gas.

To be fair... working the CTC parts counter in my youth, I don't think anyone there properly explained to me how the date codes worked. Not that it really mattered... during my tenure there, the batteries were very bad. They got better at some point, would not surprise me that they got worse again

Currently like Costco batteries. The one soldiering on in my car is 9.5 years old now

My Exide buddy used to get me deals whenever I needed a battery. There was a myriad of different stickers that were applied to their batteries. i.e. They are all the same from the same plant. Only difference is the sticker.

Back
Top Bottom