This and That | Page 12 | GTAMotorcycle.com

This and That

Ambient Light Sensor ???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tbh idk wtf that is, but a quick Google search makes me think that my 2005 is too old for that.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Tbh idk wtf that is, but a quick Google search makes me think that my 2005 is too old for that.

Wasn’t sure the year. So you have to use the headlight switch to put your full headlights on?

Btw, have you unhooked your battery for 10 minutes to see if it resets? Nothing to lose

Wasn’t sure the year. So you have to use the headlight switch to put your full headlights on?

Btw, have you unhooked your battery for 10 minutes to see if it resets? Nothing to lose

Yes.
Manual turn switch on the arm on the tree.
Fwiw, I run full lights about 90% of the time.

Will try the battery thing at half time.

Just disconnect the + is ok?

I usually disconnect the battery negative.

Odds are that you have a bad headlight relay.

I usually disconnect the battery negative.

Odds are that you have a bad headlight relay.

Tell me that's an easy fix...

Should be, and probably a low cost item too . It’s a black cube you just unplug and swap out.

Just watched a YT vid where they did it in an Element
Should be the same I think
They replace the whole lever as it's all one piece
Looks easy enough
Will try to find one at the scrap yard
Thanks!

Did some quick research Joe. The relays are in the underhood fuse box. Do you have two black cubes like this??? If they are identical part #s, one is the low beam relay and one is the high beam.
Swap them and see if you get low beam working and lose your high beam.
If so, you’ve found the problem.

bb833d95704afa94f10f3dfcffd51a7d.jpg

Thank you
Fuses #3 & #8 20 A, both intact

At this point, I would look at what is easiest to get to and start there. Does the headlight switch pull out easily (if yes does it have power in, does it have power out). Is there power at the headlight harness? Trace that back to the switch (or more likely relay in a fuse box that has died). Swap relay with another similar relay that controls something else in the car. Does that fix it? Buy new relay and install.

Did some quick research Joe. The relays are in the underhood fuse box. Do you have two black cubes like this??? If they are identical part #s, one is the low beam relay and one is the high beam.
Swap them and see if you get low beam working and lose your high beam.
If so, you’ve found the problem.

bb833d95704afa94f10f3dfcffd51a7d.jpg

Will try that right after the game.

Will report back.

Curious what bulbs you are running? Older Honda's don't like high powered bulbs ie silverstars, etc. The added draw can burn out the harness.

Running lights on those are the high beams on low power, so if both those work probably not the bulbs.

I'm hoping its a just a bad switch, which can cause the issue, but those trucks are known for the headlight harness burning out and causing what you describe. Take a read through the link below, hopefully it helps.

Also, not sure if relevant to a 2005 but I had a 1990 Accord with a similar problem but the taillights, ended up being a burned out solder joint in the light switch module under the dash. If you are handy with a soldering iron it's an easy fix.

Thanks @Michael0124
I run the cheap lights
I don't drive too far or for too long

Will check out the link

Coincidentally I also rocked a 1990 Accord.
2 door, stick and slammed.
That body style is imho the nicest of all the Accords, ever.

** EDIT ** :
Just checked out the link
There was a recall for headlight harness...but further review shows that there is a different setup between CAN & US models due to DRL.
Will have to research a little more about it..... hopefully it's the external fuse type like posted earlier.

Last edited:
The fuse diagram doesn't say what the relays are.
How do I find out?
b5c34b1cc078dc38cb800d6aa85e9cb7.jpg

Thanks @Michael0124
I run the cheap lights
I don't drive too far or for too long

Will check out the link

Coincidentally I also rocked a 1990 Accord.
2 door, stick and slammed.
That body style is imho the nicest of all the Accords, ever.

** EDIT ** :
Just checked out the link
There was a recall for headlight harness...but further review shows that there is a different setup between CAN & US models due to DRL.
Will have to research a little more about it..... hopefully it's the external fuse type like posted earlier.

No worries, hopefully you get it figured out.

My Accord was also a 2 door 5 speed, EXR model. Champagne colour with the burgundy velour interior, back then that colour combo was the sh**, now it's just sh**.

Great car, sold it for $300 at 297000km because the steering rack and heater core went within days of each other, but was still on original clutch. The guy fixed it and was driving it at least another year. Feel old AF saying it but they really don't make em like that anymore.

The fuse diagram doesn't say what the relays are.
How do I find out?
b5c34b1cc078dc38cb800d6aa85e9cb7.jpg

The two on the left. It looks like R4, R6 and R7 on the right are the same part number (blower motor, rad fan and A/C compressor clutch) to try a part swap.

honda-pilot-fuse-box-diagram-engine-compartment-fuse-box-no-1-2003-300x200.jpg

R1Headlight No.1 (Right)
R2Headlight No.2 (Left)

Do you have the owner’s manual?

I checked that. It didn't say.

Nothing on the underside of the cover.
Did the relay swap as per GG and did not work.
Probably would've been unlikely that both relays went at the same time.

Hey Joe - it looks like Honda had a recall for the headlight switch on that thing in the US. NHTSA 12V136000 Summary is that the connector for the switch may have melted.

You might try Honda Canada's recall page and see if anything comes up. Honda Vin Recalls

Back
Top Bottom