Things that have worked for me long term. | GTAMotorcycle.com

Things that have worked for me long term.

MacDoc

Site Supporter
Tho I'm not touring anymore still putting on a decent amount of KM with 2 - 3 rides a week some up to 400 km.

MotoSkivvies.

Mine are getting loose at the elastic but the rest of the material and especially the padding washes up perfectly and no sign of wear at all.
For my sciatica these and the AIrhawk work well. I have the Adventure version.

AirHawk.
1655872384073.png
Seat material is getting worn but it's got a lot of miles on it. I was using a Beadrider but the AIrhawk is the go to now for a couple of years.
Trick is to get the correct ( low ) amount of air in it.

I use a Klim kideny belt...really helps even on two hour jaunts and very adjustable.
Screen Shot 2022-06-23 at Jun, 23    2022    4.37.51 AM.jpg

RAM mounts / Xmount for phones.
1655872640166.png
Riding Eastern North America and Xcanada and Australia and always held on to the phone.
The only caveat is to make sure the rubber tips are pushed onto the arms . I did buy the extra straps but since no off pavement now, don't need. I like the fact I can tilt the phone in a variety of directions to avoid any glare and the RAM mount poles are available in different lengths. I use a longer one that can swing out of the way of the dash and brings the phone closer to eye level.
I can fold the x-mount off to the side out of the way too for a clear view of the instrument panel.
My phone is mostly in my pocket for audio books and I can also voice nav with it there but when it's out on the X-mount it's easy to get into a spot for a no glare view.

RAM mount cupholder. The only caveat is the screw comes loose and needs some locktite. Putting some decent tape on or both will keep it from vibrating out. I have a variety of RAM mount arms at different lengths so can get it away from hiding the dash info but still tucked in a bit behind the windscreen.
1655872688983.png
Again as above and now daily use. I keep 750 ml bottle in the cup holder, found a beer bottle foam cooler helps keep it in place when bottle near empty as they tend to fly.

Throttle lock Go Cruise 2 is now in aluminum and very sturdy.
You need the sticky ring for best results but if you have BarkBusters on you can sub in self adhering silcone tape to get the needed friction. It's come a long way since the original. Make sure you get the aluminum GoCruise 2.
1655876517167.png
I've had a whole variety and this have been my go to now for a few years.

Crampbusters.
Was using the ones with the velcro strap but kept busting them trying to tighten as they tend to slip.
The ones without the velcro are useless IMNSHO.
I have them on both sides to keep my wrists straight
Now switched to these
51ghpvKnyOL._AC_SL1001_.jpg

Two pack for $14 a deal compared to the CrampBusters and more comfortable for me as no slip at all.

Grips _ Grip Buddies ( not the same as Grip Puppies ). I find them easy to move from bike to bike tho fiddly to get lined up. Could not ride without them ( due to carpal tunnel )
I think only available direct.

Socks ...I usually use motocross socks to pad up an order to get free shipping.
These last forever and are guaranteed and they did supply a pair that did wear out
I wear over calf - used to wear knee high when I was ridind with off road boots.
Love some of the colours tho partner hides here eyes when I'm padding around the deck in them.
1655874206391.png1655874267181.png
I also have a pair of very thin

Moto-D Coolmax Motorcycle Socks (3 Pack) that have traction soles ...great for a late night walk across the pavement for a snack when you don't want to put your boots on when touring. They are very cool as well and seem to wear forever.

Balaclava - keep the IEMs in, helmet fresh, reduce noise etc.
I used to use the very thin Oxford balaclava which I still have tho getting stretched out of shape now.
Switched to these and very happy. Thin, easy on and off and makes helmet on and off super smooth plus holds the IEMs in place better.
Highly recommended.
1655875070994.png

I have a TPMS that works fine but the mount sucks. Used to be cheaper - now I just keep in the tank bag. I like to be to check easily especially as fuel prices so high I'm getting 30-40 km more from my 13 L tank by maintaining the pressure on the high side.
Battery lasts a long time. Sender units very light. The mount breaks way too easily.
1655875359178.png

All I can think of now.
I'll add to this as I think of items that have worked well.
Chip in with any you think worthwhile.

Last edited:
That's what the guy in the video said :D. I'm used to them but can go further with them on so ignore it.
The size of the padding is quite a bit smaller on the bicycle shorts as the seats are so small....that's one reason MotoSkivvies redesigned them for motorcycles.
But if it works....good on ya mate. (y)

Last edited:
Was in the dentist the other day and he gave me some safety glasses to wear and I walked out with them by accident - they were so light and comfortable - tried them under the helmet and they fit fine so chased them down.
1655899152973.png
they slide easily inside the helmet and sit comfortably. Hard time to find them in singles here in Aus but looks like about $5 each or less in Canada
Good specs and really comfortable plus optically good and scratch resistant plus anti-fog and impact protection and clean up very well with micro-fibre.
$60 for 12 pairs here. - really don't need that many....hoping I can find some singles.

Call the dentist and tell them they missed cleaning 1 tooth. Go back for the appointment and walk out with another borrowed pair.
:cool:

Hehe ....going back in next week for the crowns ....but not sure I'll get the same kind as the other ones he had are no where near as nice.
Spending $3500 on crowns and get back about $1500 so I have no qualms about the purloined glasses.
They are full on safety glasses so pretty happy with the quality and the price.

Ask for the tinted glasses.
Those overhead dental lights can be very blinding.

Lol
Check out a local Brofasco equivalent and I'm sure you can find singles.

Or ask the dentist if you can buy a couple of pairs from them.

They consider these items as disposable sundries. I'm sure they won't mind just giving you a pair or 2.

Chased around online but Pyramex does not seem to have much presence here even tho Australia is listed. I'm pretty careful with my glsasses so wil see how they hold up. I will ask the dentist the source.

I tried a pair of cheap padded shorts from amazon and they did nothing for me in terms of comfort. Not sure if the expensive ones are any better. I just take a break once in a while and shift aroudn on my seat a lot.

As for the sunglasses, make sure they have UV protection. The cheap ones sometimes don't and they cause your pupils to open wider and allow more harmful UV rays in which is worse than wearing no sunglasses at all, you can get ocular melanoma (cancer). For me a helmet with a drop down sun visor is a must.

I've also started wearing a buff on every ride, eliminates the need for applying sunscreen on my neck every 2 hours.

These do.
UV levels here are off the chart ..14 on a clear day :eek: burned my wrists a couple of times with exposed skin.
  • Scratch-resistant lenses
  • Provides 99% protection from harmful UV-A and UV-B rays.
  • 100% polycarbonate lenses
The sun visor is okay but still get wind and rain under it - the glasses fit tighter and easier to clean.
Broke the ones I had in the new helmet :(

MotoSkivvies do work .... did you see the post in Shanes Solstice ride?

Last edited:
Perfect timing for this thread! Was just about to post on phone holder recommendations.

It is night and day riding with some music on during the day. What a difference.

I’ll keep an eye on Kijiji and Amazon for an additional cheap unit for my backup helmet. Can take the CARDO from one to the other without taking out and changing speakers.

These do.
UV levels here are off the chart ..14 on a clear day :eek: burned my wrists a couple of times with exposed skin.

The sun visor is okay but still get wind and rain under it - the glasses fit tighter and easier to clean.
Broke the ones I had in the new helmet :(

MotoSkivvies do work .... did you see the post in Shanes Solstice ride?

I’ve had a pair of MotoSkivvies for years and yes, they do help.

I have this on my CB350four. Works great on long rides.

69c1769e83c1c4c66b31086957af4f70.jpg

8a7314e43b99c18c0d9eeef7580debf1.jpg

I also recently purchased a lower back brace. I find now I have better posture and no sore back after longer rides.

11b9f9c69b4e31c9634fd8b5105fd30c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Perfect timing for this thread! Was just about to post on phone holder recommendations.

It is night and day riding with some music on during the day. What a difference.

I’ll keep an eye on Kijiji and Amazon for an additional cheap unit for my backup helmet. Can take the CARDO from one to the other without taking out and changing speakers.
I recently saw a non working unit for sale Kijiji or FB.
I think they guy wanted $180 for it.
Looked new with all accessories but just the scroll wheel was busted.

There are other aftermarket speakers and mics you can get that will also work

The main component from cardo that you would need is the mounting base

Hey MacDoc. I like the idea of the TPMS. I checked out the link you posted and noticed it also has temperature readings. Does it actually measure tire temperatures or more ambient air temperature?

Man, there's a lot of butt stuff in this thread. If you have issues related to heat/moisture, check out the 3D mesh seat covers like Sit & Fly. There are lots of similar brands on Amazon and eBay. They're almost as good as beaded seat cushions in terms of airflow, but more comfortable and less dorky looking. You could also combine them over top of an AirHawk if you wanted to.

Back
Top Bottom