They're at is again... The CPCC is trying to tax Flash Memory Cards this time. | GTAMotorcycle.com

They're at is again... The CPCC is trying to tax Flash Memory Cards this time.

Splash

So these people tried this in 2007 and the Federal Court of Appeal said that the Copyright Board had no legal authority implement such a tax.

Now it's 2011 and they try again...

CPCC has proposed a tax of 50¢ on cards of 1 GB or less, $1 on cards greater than 1 GB but less than 8 GB and $3 on cards of 8 GB and greater.

This one quote from the article shows how out of touch with the real world these people are
rather than being used for photos and videos it believes that "electronic memory cards are ordinarily used by Canadians to copy music.”

http://www.digitalhome.ca/2011/05/canadian-music-industry-proposes-tax-on-flash-memory-cards/

Last edited:
i have yet to meet a single person who's gone "hey, i'll trade you music, here's a flash memory card!", where do they come up with this crap...so my gps, blackberry, dslr, helmet cam, point and shoot will cost more to use if i decide to upgrade the memory if they go through with this...what a retarded world i wake up to some days...

Greed.. Plain and simple.. There was a case where they tried to sue for copyright infringement over a moment of silence (unfortunately, this is not a joke). By the way, reading a book to your child is considered "unauthorized conversion to a different media format." :cool:

I don't get their arguments. It's naive to think this kind of tax will curb anything because u will just have pple ebaying the crap out of sd cards and local retailers will suffer. This will also affect the many legit photographers out there (I also don't know who uses SD cards to copy music :s). These guys should reevaluate their purpose.

Greed.. Plain and simple.. There was a case where they tried to sue for copyright infringement over a moment of silence (unfortunately, this is not a joke). By the way, reading a book to your child is considered "unauthorized conversion to a different media format." :cool:

url please

Here's the one for the moment of silence http://archives.cnn.com/2002/SHOWBIZ/Music/09/23/uk.silence/
British composer Mike Batt found himself the subject of a plagiarism action for including the song, "A One Minute Silence," on an album for his classical rock band The Planets.
He was accused of copying it from a work by the late American composer John Cage, whose 1952 composition "4'33"" was totally silent.
On Monday, Batt settled the matter out of court by paying an undisclosed six-figure sum to the John Cage Trust.

Here's the official Author's Guild position on reading a book out loud http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123419309890963869.html
Kindle 2 is smaller than the first version of the product.The new device also features a five-way navigation element, faster wireless service for downloading books and the ability to wirelessly sync between Kindles and cellphones.
Some publishers and agents expressed concern over a new, experimental feature that reads text aloud with a computer-generated voice.
"They don't have the right to read a book out loud," said Paul Aiken, executive director of the Authors Guild. "That's an audio right, which is derivative under copyright law."
Of course, this was in comment to a TTS feature of an e-book reader, but the statement easily covers a person actually reading a book out loud.

Here's one on campfire songs: http://copyrightcommerceandculture.com/
Popular camp songs such as the Macarena, Gold Bless America, and Puff the Magic Dragon are licensed with ASCAP and therefore could not be sung or played without a license. A camp such as the one in the article, Diablo Day Camp, which has 241 girl scouts, would have had to pay ASCAP $591 that year. It doesn’t seem like a lot, but at the time Diablo, like many camps, were low on funds, therefore deciding to scrap all ASCAP copyrighted songs. “Is Row Row Row Your Boat’ copyrighted?” asks Holly Foster, a 14-year-old Elf with a turquoise happy face on her cheek. “Row Row Row Your Boat” might float, the directors decide, but “Puff the Magic Dragon” is out. “How about Ring Around the Rosie’?” another Elf asks. The directors veto it.
It looks like they narrowed their target list, but still..... They can always creep back and start suing not only mom and pop camps, but even families.

Pre-tax me for media that can be used for copy-write infringement? Good bring it on. I guess I've paid my royalties and can now do with it what I want without fear of penalty.

Why don't organizations realize when they have outlived their usefulness - like the dinosaurs, it's time they go quietly into the night (or die a miserable death, either way, stop attempting to impose their stupidity on the rest of the world).

"electronic memory cards are ordinarily used by Canadians to copy music.”

I guess I am doing it wrong. All along I have been using a computer....

Pre-tax me for media that can be used for copy-write infringement? Good bring it on. I guess I've paid my royalties and can now do with it what I want without fear of penalty.

good point. they want to suck and blow at the same time. Either you don't tax media, and it remains illegal, or you tax it, and it's now legal. I don't see you can make it illegal AND collect tax on it at the same time.

Let them. Im still enjoying the fact that buying CD's and DVD's gives me cart blanche to download things here in canada... When the day comes im inevitably dragged into court and made to account for my ridiculous amount of downloaded material, showing the receipt for a spindle of DVDs and a flash card to prove that I already paid for these files through tax will be an awesome defense.

The song "Happy birthday to you" is property of Time Warner and cost 10 000$ if you want to sing it. Living in the state and have a garden? They are trying to illegalize this, Mosanto want you to buy food, not to have it for free in your yard.

Welcome to the 21st century, where everything is owned by somebody or a corporation.

The song "Happy birthday to you" is property of Time Warner and cost 10 000$ if you want to sing it. Living in the state and have a garden? They are trying to illegalize this, Mosanto want you to buy food, not to have it for free in your yard.

Welcome to the 21st century, where everything is owned by somebody or a corporation.

In some states, you're not allowed to collect rainwater because the waterways belong to corporations and that rain water is a part of those waterways.

They're worse off if they actually get that levy. There hasn't been a successful 'illegal downloading' case since the first levy was passed, on blank CD and DVD media, many years back because it is presumed that they've already been paid.

Which, of course, does nothing to protect photographers like me from theft of intellectual property, while we still have to pay the levy in order to send pictures to our clients.

They're worse off if they actually get that levy. There hasn't been a successful 'illegal downloading' case since the first levy was passed, on blank CD and DVD media, many years back because it is presumed that they've already been paid.

Which, of course, does nothing to protect photographers like me from theft of intellectual property, while we still have to pay the levy in order to send pictures to our clients.

I believe there is a way for you to claim it

Back
Top Bottom