The Reasonably Priced Used Motorcycles for Sale Thread | Page 241 | GTAMotorcycle.com

The Reasonably Priced Used Motorcycles for Sale Thread

Those GL/CX 500/650s are a niche bike. They have their fans. Twits like to chop them up for "cafe" bikes.
If you are going to buy one be aware that they are 40 years old and to replace the clutch, stator or water pump seal you have to drop the motor... which is why he mentions the new stator.

If someone wants one I have a complete GL500, WITH the optional beer box, that i could part with.

Less than 1/4 mil

What's going on with 6 (or 12?) piston rear brake? Front is dual 2 (or 4) piston setup. My guess is at least one of those rear brakes are computer controlled to hold the bike in place while the turbine comes up to speed.

20019730-2019-mtt-420rr-turbine-powered-motorcycle-std.jpg

20019728-2019-mtt-420rr-turbine-powered-motorcycle-std.jpg

You're right, that's kinda odd. I thought you might be right about one of those calipers being controlled by something else, but it looks like they are plumbed together. Maybe the owned liked taking it on the track, and the overkill rear brake is a way of dealing with the poor throttle response?

You're right, that's kinda odd. I thought you might be right about one of those calipers being controlled by something else, but it looks like they are plumbed together. Maybe the owned liked taking it on the track, and the overkill rear brake is a way of dealing with the poor throttle response?
Throttle response on a turbine is not poor (from flight idle which is ~85% speed with almost no output power to 100%) . It is phenomenal. If they are letting it drop below flight idle to attempt to save fuel, it would be pretty crap to ride. From idle (~50% speed) to flight idle takes a few seconds.

Reactions: J_F
Throttle response on a turbine is not poor (from flight idle which is ~85% speed with almost no output power to 100%) . It is phenomenal. If they are letting it drop below flight idle to attempt to save fuel, it would be pretty crap to ride. From idle (~50% speed) to flight idle takes a few seconds.

would make a motorcycle with that drivetrain hard to ride?

description says 2 speed automatic
wonder if that means hydrostat? or what?

an engine with on/off throttle connected to the rear tire
with mechanical transmission and chain would be a nightmare to ride

would make a motorcycle with that drivetrain hard to ride?

description says 2 speed automatic
wonder if that means hydrostat? or what?

an engine with on/off throttle connected to the rear tire
with mechanical transmission and chain would be a nightmare to ride
You can modulate between zero and max power, it's not a light switch. If you are dumb enough to whack it open, expect a light switch and may god have mercy on your soul. I assume based on the model number that it is ~420hp.

The ohlins look pretty but I'm not sure if you could push this hard enough to need them without ending up in the rhubarb (maybe as a drag bike, but does a fancy fork make a big difference on the strip?)

For lots of really cool turbine videos (mostly industrial or classic fighter jet but some jet boats) check out AgentJayZ on youtube. He is in BC. He explains a lot of the operation. On a big RR industrial turbine at flight idle, the fuel burn is so horrendous as it is internally making and using close to 40,000 hp to compress the intake charge. That's why whacking the throttle open produces immediate results, the engine is already making 40,000 hp, spinning up the shaft to make 60,000 hp isn't hard. Obviously the bike is a much smaller scale but similar concept.

nice find, really nice little inline 4 ^.

gear driven cams; and a sweet handling chassis.

I like a lot!
I've had 100 different bikes. I got a chance to swap my busa for a CB1 at the Tail of the dragon one day.
Gixxers are fun....busas are fun, but I had more fun on 2 wheels that day than I ever had.
I've been looking for an unmolested one since.
This might be it. Email sent.

Sweet ride - might still snag one in Australia but nowhere near that price. That's got the Vtec ???

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom