The "Official" Watch Thread and all Things Horological | Page 76 | GTAMotorcycle.com

The "Official" Watch Thread and all Things Horological

I really dig the blend of new and old on that one.

If anyone wants to check the accuracy of their watches, there's a website called toolwatch.io that does a pretty good job of tracking on-wrist performance. You put in your watches and it'll record and update as you do. Here's my collection, such as it is:

View attachment 67634
Thanks for that link. I just tried it but not sure I get what you are supposed to do. I pushed the button when the seconds hand at the 12 o’clock position and then I didn’t understand what to do in the next screen. I waited 1 minute and pushed the +1 minute rectangular button and then another minute then the take it home button. Them told me to wait 12 hours. Not sure.

. Like every other watch these days it's jewelry (who actually uses a dive watch for diving now). .

I wear an analog watch when diving . I may never use it but it’s a backup for the electronics ( which have never failed on me in 20yrs) . It’s a belt and suspenders things for me . And since I haven’t been diving alone in 30yrs ,chances of everybody’s dive computer shutting down at the same time is about zero , but I see your point . Plus it looks so old school cool on the boat.

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

I wear an analog watch when diving . I may never use it but it’s a backup for the electronics ( which have never failed on me in 20yrs) . It’s a belt and suspenders things for me . And since I haven’t been diving alone in 30yrs ,chances of everybody’s dive computer shutting down at the same time is about zero , but I see your point . Plus it looks so old school cool on the boat.

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app
Ready for an EMP while diving....

Thanks for that link. I just tried it but not sure I get what you are supposed to do. I pushed the button when the seconds hand at the 12 o’clock position and then I didn’t understand what to do in the next screen. I waited 1 minute and pushed the +1 minute rectangular button and then another minute then the take it home button. Them told me to wait 12 hours. Not sure.
You have to give it at least 12 hours to make an accurate record, I think. I did mine over closer to 24 hours to really get a real-world number that includes time on a bedside table and the full day's worth of different use.

Basically you start by clicking when the second hand gets to 12, and then just wear the watch normally. Come back whenever is convenient after 12 hours, and click again. Just make sure to double check the minute hand is also accurate. The first time I tested my Squale, it came back as +60.6 seconds when it was actually only 0.6 seconds fast, but once you accept the test, you can't modify it.

You have to give it at least 12 hours to make an accurate record, I think. I did mine over closer to 24 hours to really get a real-world number that includes time on a bedside table and the full day's worth of different use.

Basically you start by clicking when the second hand gets to 12, and then just wear the watch normally. Come back whenever is convenient after 12 hours, and click again. Just make sure to double check the minute hand is also accurate. The first time I tested my Squale, it came back as +60.6 seconds when it was actually only 0.6 seconds fast, but once you accept the test, you can't modify it.
Thanks, I got hung up on the second screen with the +/- Minute buttons. But will know better next time. I guess there is a reaction time error when you see the seconds hand hit twelve with one eyeball and watch the button on the phone with the other one then hit it! :ROFLMAO:

Thanks, I got hung up on the second screen with the +/- Minute buttons. But will know better next time. I guess there is a reaction time error when you see the seconds hand hit twelve with one eyeball and watch the button on the phone with the other one then hit it! :ROFLMAO:
+/- minute button is just to make sure it matches what the watch is set to, in case it's off from accurate time. You can also +/- a minute when you click the second time.

As for error, I did some of mine on my phone and some on a PC. I just lined up either my finger or the cursor over the box ahead of time so I didn't have to look at it and could keep both eyes on the second hand. Either way, as long as the error is the same for both clicks, you'll get an accurate result.

I actually like it better than a timegrapher, as it reflects real-world wear rather than just whatever position the movement is in in that moment. As an example, many Seikos run fast when placed in a timegrapher with the dial up, but show much more accurate when placed with 12 o'clock down, which is probably where most watches sit for most of the day. Toolwatch eliminates that error by simply reflecting real performance.

Not that getting it within a tenth of a second matters much, as most watches run with way more variance than that day-to-day depending on what you're doing and how much they get bounced around....

Picked up some more estate watches. The face on the Dione is beautiful and the case was made in canada. Probably circa 1920. Favico is also canadianish as they rebranded watches from elsewhere.

20240510-125450.jpg

20240510-125455.jpg

20240510-125507.jpg

20240510-125659.jpg

20240510-125703.jpg

20240510-125706.jpg

That Christie's auction with some of Schumacher's collection finished:

https://www.christies.com/auction/auction-23037-gnv

Most well within the auctioneer estimate, and I have to think they'll be disappointed with some of the main items, even at over CHF 2M for that Patek.
Interesting price swings in the FPJ collection. Ones with similar estimates had hammer prices that varied by a factor of three.

A few don't have prices? No sale? Buyer requested privacy as they are classier and valuable? The people that bought the RM's for six or seven figures will surely post tiktok videos with the watch and the bill so no point hiding those numbers.

$34M CAD from selling off some of the watch collection you don't use is pretty solid. I wonder if the swiss tax this as income? Probably.

Interesting price swings in the FPJ collection. Ones with similar estimates had hammer prices that varied by a factor of three.

A few don't have prices? No sale? Buyer requested privacy as they are classier and valuable? The people that bought the RM's for six or seven figures will surely post tiktok videos with the watch and the bill so no point hiding those numbers.

$34M CAD from selling off some of the watch collection you don't use is pretty solid. I wonder if the swiss tax this as income? Probably.
I assume no price means no sale, likely reserve not met.

To be clear, only a small portion of the auction was from the Schumacher estate, I think lots 128 to 137...

Back
Top Bottom