The "Official" Watch Thread and all Things Horological | Page 44 | GTAMotorcycle.com

The "Official" Watch Thread and all Things Horological

So when I got my latest arrival of parts I noticed that the tin namoki sends the parts in had a large dent in it. Didn't think much about it until I opened up the movement for my Seiko Pepsi....

That is half the stem sitting in the movement. It snapped off during shipping. Tried a few things to get it out unsuccessfully, however namoki says they are sending out a new one, but based on my last orders, its 4 weeks out :( . Great customer support by them though

Now here is the next question, do I swap the little plastic gear off this movement onto my original movement that has broken two so far, or attempt to fully disassemble and remove the stem? I have 5% confidence in either of the two options working

6cYbMZx.jpg

So when I got my latest arrival of parts I noticed that the tin namoki sends the parts in had a large dent in it. Didn't think much about it until I opened up the movement for my Seiko Pepsi....

That is half the stem sitting in the movement. It snapped off during shipping. Tried a few things to get it out unsuccessfully, however namoki says they are sending out a new one, but based on my last orders, its 4 weeks out :( . Great customer support by them though

Now here is the next question, do I swap the little plastic gear off this movement onto my original movement that has broken two so far, or attempt to fully disassemble and remove the stem? I have 5% confidence in either of the two options working

6cYbMZx.jpg
Since you don't have a root cause of why the other movement is eating gears, I would not keep throwing parts at it. While this movement may not survive stem surgery, maybe it will and you will sure as hell learn a lot along the way.

Since you don't have a root cause of why the other movement is eating gears, I would not keep throwing parts at it. While this movement may not survive stem surgery, maybe it will and you will sure as hell learn a lot along the way.
True.

I've read on a forum about a guy trying to superglue the broken off bit of stem to the part stuck in the movement, but it didn't work for him. I might try it though, see if I am more successful.

@48Connor maybe you can help guide me through my stuck button issue I posted earlier.

What other kit do you have to take it apart and how in the heck do you keep all the parts in order?

I inherited this Rolex from my Father, I'm afraid to even wear it, so I just look at it alot
Interesting. I'm not sure I love the bark instead of the flutes but it is nice to see something different. Too expensive for me to wear as a daily but if the style works for you a really awesome watch to wear on special occasions to bring back memories.

I know a guy in Newmarket who can rebuild your Seiko. There's also a guy on the main drag of Cookstown who could do it.

I inherited this Rolex from my Father, I'm afraid to even wear it, so I just look at it alot

They're like motorcycles. They don't take kindly to sitting idle for long periods. I'd get it serviced or at least have someone pop the hood and give you an opinion on it's condition then put it on a winder so it's always running.

If I had the JDM Seiko my father bought in Japan years ago I'd wear it. Can't think of anything more fitting.

@48Connor maybe you can help guide me through my stuck button issue I posted earlier.

What other kit do you have to take it apart and how in the heck do you keep all the parts in order?

The only real watch tools I have are a press to push the crystals in/out and a case back opener. Everything else is a Wera screwdriver set and some tweezers.

I'm no expert. I'm where I'm at now because I broke the original watch trying to mod it hahaha

I wind every watch in the box once per month and let them run down. My watch repair guy said never use an auto winder, his thing was “ do you leave your motorcycle running when it’s sitting in the garage for a week?” And he gets paid to fix worn out watches ….

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com

I wind every watch in the box once per month and let them run down. My watch repair guy said never use an auto winder, his thing was “ do you leave your motorcycle running when it’s sitting in the garage for a week?” And he gets paid to fix worn out watches ….

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com
I'd use a winder if I had a few autos in heavy rotation but off for longer than they had power. Grabbing a watch that is ready to go is nice. No way am I leaving one spinning for weeks or months just in case I wanted to wear it.

They're like motorcycles. They don't take kindly to sitting idle for long periods. I'd get it serviced or at least have someone pop the hood and give you an opinion on it's condition then put it on a winder so it's always running.

If I had the JDM Seiko my father bought in Japan years ago I'd wear it. Can't think of anything more fitting.
Just had a full service, I also have the original box and all the paper work, my Dad bought the watch around 1974

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom