The "Official" Watch Thread and all Things Horological | Page 29 | GTAMotorcycle.com

The "Official" Watch Thread and all Things Horological

I really liked the Seiko watch you mentioned before actually. I saw there were some similar ones at a slightly lower pricepoint that interested me too.
If you're talking about that Citizen Challenge remake, I totally agree. Love titanium cases, too.

I got the cheapest of the Citizen automatic divers, the NY0040 (~$300 CAD from Europe), but they also have the Fugu range, which are slightly nicer in the $4-500 range, and then special editions heading north of $1000. I've been really impressed by my cheapie, as it's very nicely built. Far more precise and solid than equivalently priced Seikos (even if my 4R36 movement is slightly more accurate, though that's just luck of the draw and will change over time).

Two I have my eye on as an addition are the red bezel Fugu NY0091-83E (~$400 on Chrono24 from Asia):

81neTf1lV8L.jpg

And the blacked out titanium special edition NY0105-81E that's a little overpriced at ~$1300 from what I can find:
s-l500.jpg

I spy a miniature musical box! I actually have a (very) small collection of these. I bought the first one as a present for my wife from a small boutique in Paris 20 years ago. Nothing fancy.
I 100% guarantee that one plays the Godfather theme. I suspect yours play boring things like Claire de Lune.

can you justify an expensive engagement ring?
No.
wedding ring?
No.
sports car?
Ummm, getting there...
motorcycle?
You'd be crazy NOT to buy one!

It's the last piece of acceptable man's jewelry and ticks a lot of boxes for lot of folks. Telling time is not the reason to buy these watches.

It appeals to those who appreciate it for the aesthetic value, those for mechanical movements, those who want it it to showcase their wealth and affluent as well as those who just appreciate some heritage in a world where it's becoming a bad word. I buy it for all those reasons and just cause I want to. Can't take it with you anyways, so who cares.

lots of acceptable mans jewelry, just watch the BET music awards, but even they have no justification other than "I want it", which is all the "justification" one needs

Anybody in the GTA thinbking about Citizen watches or Alpina ( citizen company) look at the Citizen corporate store at the Premium Brands mall , Trafalgar Rd at 401 Milton. They get hundreds of overstock, discontinued watches often sold at crazy discount.
Same mall has a smaller store selling Mido , Hamilton, Tissot at discount since they dont want excess stock sold in regular stores. There can be some real deals if thats your thing.

You can justify it however you please, but the only real reason for spending the same money on a knockoff with questionable calibre and QC instead of a decent watch from a reputable Japanese brand (or sub brand) is to massage your fragile ego to randos. Roll the credits.

Kicking myself for not thinking of this earlier.... just coming to me today for obvious reasons.

There were some strap sellers (Canada/US) selling Ukraine (Blue/Yellow) NATO straps with profits going to the red cross, found references to them on forums looking today. They had them last year, now they don't (all out I guess). There is still a UK seller but they want $40 to ship a strap from the UK (more than the strap)!

If anyone finds one with reasonable shipping let me know. I have a blue SMP that needs one in 20mm....

You can justify it however you please, but the only real reason for spending the same money on a knockoff with questionable calibre and QC instead of a decent watch from a reputable Japanese brand (or sub brand) is to massage your fragile ego to randos. Roll the credits.
People see stuff on The Kardashians, so they just have to have one just like it...but can't afford it. What will some rando think of them, ego can't take it.

So many great legit options, sad.

Lol. I couldn’t give a flying **** what some rando thinks. If I like the look that’s all that matters to me. Pissing off irrational brand whores and fanboys is just an added bonus. As for ego, there’s only one small subset of people getting all bent out of shape over this.

Last edited:
For the second time , can you guys just stop ? we will end up with a watch thread in trash talk FFS

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com
Like I said above, I’m not the one getting bent out of shape over watches in a watch thread.

Haters gonna hate and no doubt controversial for many Omega fans... Took the last few days as they only let you buy one at a time maybe even a day. Not for me, kids and wife all got one, that is the sweet spot IMO. Eaton Centre, no Moons, Mercury or Neptune (it is on hiatus), Moon and Mercury are the most popular. The Saturn was not there yesterday but was today.

20230225_143502.jpg

20230225_143122.jpg

Actually better than I thought, but no doubt it is more of an expensive Swatch than a cheap Omega. On the other hand they all have a dot over 90 Tachymetre bezel Speedmasters and I am walking around like a hobo with a dot beside 90 one (some will get this reference). The weakest part is the strap IMO--but not the only weakness, there goes roughly 5% of my tax return.

Last edited:
Do you still have the "Help Me" video from the river?
****, no. I went looking for it a while back and its no longer on youtube

A cousin of mine had uploaded it back in the day and I think he shutdown his account.

Hope you've been well. Its been a good while since I've been on here.

Sent from my SM-G780G using Tapatalk

****, no. I went looking for it a while back and its no longer on youtube

A cousin of mine had uploaded it back in the day and I think he shutdown his account.

Hope you've been well. Its been a good while since I've been on here.

Sent from my SM-G780G using Tapatalk
Wondered what happened to you, good to see you're still in the game.
Because you walked away from it, that was the best video ever. (I wasn't there)
Fun memories from other rides though.
I'll never forget your bike passing us on Ridge Rd, but you weren't on it!!
Applicable to this thread, because that two fiddy was like a TIMEX.

"Here's what I paid. This is what you're paying me." I believe the Brit term is chancers.

pK9v2u16Aq56YEcg_yxFSnQqFT5TioUDSd5LdE4zEqN-KEzpeh3mh8W6UgocZTFnee8YKpCfKJUIlFW-X2IjFdmZ8GGv2Kam4Ro0LJwYR-xa2Z0IyC5_jn5GnTeVSSqjfoC9elmSF8Dajf0jMT9RNmy943YFjJaP2ZLkMgnudXU_ms2DoPWP5AVV5n9ieqCwaSmvcGeMV_iAfc9IG9Jr3X3RIEDf-vG1wJCv_w6HUMMUE8AnKVVe6Em6P2E7kWITiv4k5UJspDRpd4kEsWhK-oE2Gsztb-HuhNgMjGK4CjE0EHELASuAs12DYiajO2ExzHI07JXo4FqJx5Fidf00IFkPg8Q79T4DuouJaGJAHNSsxwF3WF1ErGVFcqagA61sNZQsmtridAJs1c-pzNi0GlP9miUYWftolvUEAYeli4DEPHpWmcc_7FJ60L04DBpa_55CAIr8SZ2RDV6_NenX7APmIrJjspoGVKpOdzipK6NQSDA4A7CXAt91c22u2RKa0qmZ0XN849bB4Y1b8i6afcWfq5BdNeHb-vlaYkPLQKGkNU_L19ET445s8VYFrqNXZTYO7s8p_J_xA1QFmv1p-uC7XFJ3pOClbwSSmFLs0hM44UMf1IpKappXMSk4cAhIn_Yl2m7ANxCtT51c3CxgNSwhkkZpLUpb4Pa4uXQ3EWXrqdusijufpAcRi4DTO-Wf2FXZecEnovmybwIrVkQFFgE_XoVCizvRBvbWnm72zZa-DCSv_KwgWjhx_AzxLjkoYJqUn24hjiKUIP1zo_a2zrp9ZTdOs04F_1pzLv-4WsYhuDd3Rc-dqZoU0ssGP88A0n0GhESSEdPaTsHCwvj12kozc3AyCNOWKm_H-xGKzzSVPfR8TP-m3Q2dCundjZNNbs3JbI-jqbgZaZPFs2CyZqh1MuoC-qFYEke796Uzr3pV=w613-h776-no
I’m seeing guys on the FB page being mocked for their pricing of these. Even for $500 they’re being ridiculed for trying to profit off something that’s no longer much of a hard to get item.

I'll never forget your bike passing us on Ridge Rd, but you weren't on it!!
Applicable to this thread, because that two fiddy was like a TIMEX.

I was behind You. First the bike passed me in the ditch. Then Ronin following behind doing a human starfish.

Thanks for the note @backmarkerducati on the watches. It follows what I’ve read online so May not bother and just put money away toward something better and more substantial.

If $1200 is only 5% of your tax return…I’m in the wrong business!
Not at all, return is a comedy of errors and not normal.

Had too much taken off
Made a little less than expected
Moved some assets into RRSP
Used some capital losses to offset some gains
Moved some COVID related inheritance into RRSP

In the end I just gave the government an interest free loan they are paying back now.

Back
Top Bottom