The "Official" Watch Thread and all Things Horological | Page 11 | GTAMotorcycle.com

The "Official" Watch Thread and all Things Horological

Pam 372
217efc03513fac44775c6baecdc44643.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So backstory , Panerai made marine instruments and gauges ect for divers, were suppliers to the Italian navy for a long time before somebody said , lets make a watch . They are an intersting bunch of guys as a company. The big watches were a thing with the yachtsmen for a while as you could see the time quite legibly . But like all things that ended . Timing a start with a Rolex yachtsman is increadibly in inefficient .

Size for Panerai wasn't fashion (I'm sure your aware) It's there DNA. Having said that, its in business to make money. They have models that are 38 - 40 - 42 mm. IMHO a Panerai should be large. My wrists are an average 6 3/4. I can pull off a 47mm. Wider, some what flat wrist helps. I own a 372. A classic Panerai that wouldn't be the same if only 42mm.
I understand the history.

My point is they benefited from the giant watch craze. Now that the trend is over....

The role of watches has really changed over time, at least for me 15 years ago, most people needed a watch on their wrist, it's how we kept time - a watch was an essential tool as well as a fashion item.

Smartphones and wearable computers displaced conventional wristwatches as the personal timekeeper, but not so much the fashion part.
Totally baller today, late father's Timex Automatic... it has taken a beating and it keeps on ticking.

View attachment 59250
That's a statement piece. To me thats a watch, the brand and style of a working man. He wore it to keep his life in time, preferring to let his actions tell those around him about the man.

Did he ride a Vstrom?

I worked with a guy that thought drinking coffee from a thermos defined a working man . Yeah, a man not working hard enough to afford Starbucks .

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com

The Heuer Monaco Steve McQueen left hand drive , that I did not buy last august for $7,200 because I bought another shotgun ( yeah I know) , is now $9000 at the same dealer . He says probably 10k by the end of March . His old stock inventory is going up in value .

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com

If your waited till your in Cuba you could have bought a Rolex on the beach for $49.00 . Its ligit! Jose got it from a German tourist that got it as a gift from his 18yr old Cuban lover , that got it as a hospitality tip at a 2 star resort. Makes sense no?

If your waited till your in Cuba you could have bought a Rolex on the beach for $49.00 . Its ligit! Jose got it from a German tourist that got it as a gift from his 18yr old Cuban lover , that got it as a hospitality tip at a 2 star resort. Makes sense no?
Why not both?

You want one from Jose too? I'm sure he can swindle another 1 or 2.

Don't EVER buy the boxes of cigars the dudes are selling on the beach (or street) in Cuba. Best case they are made from the floor sweepings (tobacco rollers dropped on the floor or purposely rejected and discarded), worse case they add banana leaves as extra filler, that will make you sick and/or kill you much faster than tobacco! Most of the time it is something in between, not enough floor sweepings, what can we put in there... my BIL bought some and brought them back (he was quite proud of the "deal", at first...), they were burning funny so he cut it open and they had paper towel (or a paper towel like substance) as extra filler. Counterfeiters/scammers know no limits.

Of course the story is always compelling, cousins, uncles, aunt works in the factory and smuggles boxes out to support the starving children at the orphanage.

Last edited:
One of my vendors in B.C. bought a box from a Cuban kids baseball team coach on a little league tour, they had "smuggled" them out with equipment, he asked me if I would give him $100cdn for the case, sure ship it, Box said Cohiba on the outside, cigars inside had a different band and wrappers . Didnt even light one.

On a happy note I have found a Squale auto blue face and bezel on line at a very attractive price , hope to see it this weekend

Don't EVER buy the boxes of cigars the dudes are selling on the beach (or street) in Cuba. Best case they are made from the floor sweepings (tobacco rollers dropped on the floor or purposely rejected and discarded), worse case they add banana leaves as extra filler, that will make you sick and/or kill you much faster than tobacco! Most of the time it is something in between, not enough floor sweepings, what can we put in there... my BIL bought some and brought them back (he was quite proud of the "deal", at first...), they were burning funny so he cut it open and they had paper towel (or a paper towel like substance) as extra filler. Counterfeiters/scammers know no limits.

Of course the story is always compelling, cousins, uncles, aunt works in the factory and smuggles boxes out to support the starving children at the orphanage.
Typically we buy the cigars in town when we go...but this time I'm not planning on leaving the resort.

Most resorts will have a gift shop , and they will be selling cigars , and thyey will be ligit . Dont buy them from the maid or the bartender because there is a good chance of fakes.
Suitcases are often randomly searched leaving Cuba and fake cigars will be confiscated at the airport, you may not know thyey are even gone till you open your bag at home . They are vigilant trying to protect one of the few export products they have.

@Mimico , where abouts in Cuba are you headed? I like the place, for what it is.

Most resorts will have a gift shop , and they will be selling cigars , and thyey will be ligit . Dont buy them from the maid or the bartender because there is a good chance of fakes.
Suitcases are often randomly searched leaving Cuba and fake cigars will be confiscated at the airport, you may not know thyey are even gone till you open your bag at home . They are vigilant trying to protect one of the few export products they have.

@Mimico , where abouts in Cuba are you headed? I like the place, for what it is.
We're going to Hotel Playa Cayo Santa Maria - Hotel WebSite

Have been to a few different spots, so looking forward to this.

Typically we buy the cigars in town when we go...but this time I'm not planning on leaving the resort.
Buy at the airport man, no hassle and you know it's legit and the same price as the factory in Havana or the hotel lobby. Haven't been to Cuba since 2002, that was Cayo Coco...Went for 5 nights and lost 10lbs. Is the food still terrible or did they manage to fix it?

I don't do all inclusive, but had the yearly corp thing at the Hard Rock Hotel in Punta Cana...all the guys who do the all inclusive said it was awesome. Nothing to complain about for me, still wouldn't go back unless for 2 nights max.
After seeing all these Timex and casios, just ordered this bad boy:
Bling Bling bitchess :D
61woe6zi1JL._AC_UY679_.jpg

Buy at the airport man, no hassle and you know it's legit and the same price as the factory in Havana or the hotel lobby. Haven't been to Cuba since 2002, that was Cayo Coco...Went for 5 nights and lost 10lbs. Is the food still terrible or did they manage to fix it?

I don't do all inclusive, but had the yearly corp thing at the Hard Rock Hotel in Punta Cana...all the guys who do the all inclusive said it was awesome. Nothing to complain about for me, still wouldn't go back unless for 2 nights max.
After seeing all these Timex and casios, just ordered this bad boy:
Bling Bling bitchess :D
61woe6zi1JL._AC_UY679_.jpg
With 3 kids I'm all for all inclusive. Have done it 2 times already and zero complaints.

As for the food...it's not The Keg, or high end type of meals...and I don't go to Cuba expecting it.

Plus there's about 18-20 of us all going together as a group...so it should be a good time regardless. But we're also bringing in our own spices and the like to add some additional flavour to the food.

With 3 kids I'm all for all inclusive. Have done it 2 times already and zero complaints.

As for the food...it's not The Keg, or high end type of meals...and I don't go to Cuba expecting it.

Plus there's about 18-20 of us all going together as a group...so it should be a good time regardless. But we're also bringing in our own spices and the like to add some additional flavour to the food.

Not sure if they still do it but some locals would cook you a great meal for a decent deal if you ask about. Lobster tails etc. All under the table at the time as it was frowned upon by the authorities, things may be different now though as this was 10 years ago.

Back
Top Bottom