The less meat thread | GTAMotorcycle.com

The less meat thread

MacDoc

Site Supporter
Interesting accidental segue from the Beef thread.
We've been drifting for a long time towards less meat consumption and find the sheer variety of offerings out there a bit daunting.
We've found a fish substitute that is really tasty and has the correct texture which is a neat trick. From Birds Eye
images

but this appeals more ...lab grown fish
Cell-cultured-best-term-for-seafood-made-in-bioreactors-say-key-stakeholders.jpg

These are really tasty. I cook them up then 1/2 of one cut up in a small tin of baked beans is a satisfying breakfast. Texture is really good as they have developed a casing that works.
frys-2019-vegan-braai-sausages.png

Most of the ground beef subs...or mince subs are quite reasonable and likely the cheapest for protein. Tasty in bolognese.
3570606.jpg

Have a hard time resisting a good steak pie but this came close.
3736039.jpg

was actually trying to find this - I've just about given up burgers here but a steak pie is hard to pass up
1642274452791.png
Beef-with-Portobello-Mushroom-and-Merlot.jpg

Bit hard to justify at $4.25 each plus a 40 min of oven time.

I think beef substitute is tough to get right ...A&W is Beyond Burger
1642275442458.png
and was okay but buying them to cook at home is stupid expensive.
Some plant based burgers we've tried are downright awful.

Surprised at the extensive and fast moving increase in products being offered with the big food companies getting involved. Cutting down on beef consumption is really needed given the environmental aspect.

Have not tried a chicken sub yet.

I think beef substitute is tough to get right ...A&W is Beyond Burger

We tried the one at Tim Hortons. They had to make a new batch for us because the ones they had out under the heat lamps had been sitting there for too long.

And then shortly thereafter, Timmies discontinued the fake meat offerings citing low demand...

Yep.

I stopped eating octopus after watching the documentary, "My Octopus Teacher".

I think I'd be on-board with petri-dish meat substitutes *if* it was totally indistinguishable from normal meat. I mean, all the chemicals, hormones and garbage they pump into what's in the supermarket can't be any better for you.

If it means less animals raised in inhumane conditions, that's always a plus.

I recall wanting to try a Beyond Burger from all the hype, but it was always out of stock due to high demand.

I stopped eating octopus after watching the documentary, "My Octopus Teacher".

I think I'd be on-board with petri-dish meat substitutes *if* it was totally indistinguishable from normal meat. I mean, all the chemicals, hormones and garbage they pump into what's in the supermarket can't be any better for you.

If it means less animals raised in inhumane conditions, that's always a plus.

Don’t buy your meat from a supermarket.
Yes I know a butcher is more costly. I’d eat less and take higher quality.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I recall wanting to try a Beyond Burger from all the hype, but it was always out of stock due to high demand.

Maybe initially when it first came out, lot of curious first-timers.

But these days, I see them all the time in our Always-Empty-Shelves-Podunk-Grocery-Store, so the hype must have died down by now.

Some of these substitutes are more highly processed than meat equivalents. My wife is vegan and I’m not but I also don’t mind trying different foods. I also have recently had issues with gout and the doc said cut out the alcohol and red meat….so as that’s obviously impossible I chose red meat and met her halfway.

Impossible burgers and beyond burgers aren’t our favourites. They just taste too highly processed. Costco have an own brand version that’s not bad. We also eat a lot of cauliflower buffalo bites (cauliflower in batter covered in buffalo sauce) that are the vegan equivalent of pub food. Sol cuisine have a range of vegan foods that are actually really good. “Chicken” wings that are pretty tasty, “roasts” that are a decent roast meat equivalent.

Seitan is a decent meat substitute but it needs to be flavoured. I’ve made it at home from scratch from vital wheat gluten and it’s pretty easy. It has a great texture and can be fried or roasted to make it crispy.

Tempeh is a bit odd but I don’t mind it for a change.

Tofu is the devils food. It’s just bland and weird in texture for me.

There’s a company out of Montreal, King’s food I think it’s called, that makes some of the best meat substitutes around. We had some char sui “pork” a while back and even our meat eating friends said it was amazing. This company also supply Kings cafe in the Kensington Market area of Toronto that is one of my favourite places to eat, and that’s including meat serving restaurants too.

I tried the chick nuggies that were plant based (a&w as well i think?!) they were OKAY but nothing to rave about

Mushrooms make a good meat substitute too as their textures are pretty good. Portobello cap burgers etc. You can shred them to make decent “pulled pork” meals too.

I love portobellos mushrooms! I wouldn't want to turn them into anything else.

It's like digging for silver with a shovel made of gold.

Some of these substitutes are more highly processed than meat equivalents. My wife is vegan and I’m not but I also don’t mind trying different foods. I also have recently had issues with gout and the doc said cut out the alcohol and red meat….so as that’s obviously impossible I chose red meat and met her halfway.

Impossible burgers and beyond burgers aren’t our favourites. They just taste too highly processed. Costco have an own brand version that’s not bad. We also eat a lot of cauliflower buffalo bites (cauliflower in batter covered in buffalo sauce) that are the vegan equivalent of pub food. Sol cuisine have a range of vegan foods that are actually really good. “Chicken” wings that are pretty tasty, “roasts” that are a decent roast meat equivalent.

Seitan is a decent meat substitute but it needs to be flavoured. I’ve made it at home from scratch from vital wheat gluten and it’s pretty easy. It has a great texture and can be fried or roasted to make it crispy.

Tempeh is a bit odd but I don’t mind it for a change.

Tofu is the devils food. It’s just bland and weird in texture for me.

There’s a company out of Montreal, King’s food I think it’s called, that makes some of the best meat substitutes around. We had some char sui “pork” a while back and even our meat eating friends said it was amazing. This company also supply Kings cafe in the Kensington Market area of Toronto that is one of my favourite places to eat, and that’s including meat serving restaurants too.
I have yet to taste a food that has been transformed into a replacement for another food. IMHO cauliflower cannot be turned into rice or chicken wings, mushrooms can't be turned into pork chops, soy beans cannot be changed into beef or milk.

My preference is eating cauliflower as cauliflower, mushrooms as mushrooms, rice as rice and chicken wings from chickens.

I won't see the purpose or value of trying to change something into something else until the result is better than the original.

I have yet to taste a food that has been transformed into a replacement for another food. IMHO cauliflower cannot be turned into rice or chicken wings, mushrooms can't be turned into pork chops, soy beans cannot be changed into beef or milk.

My preference is eating cauliflower as cauliflower, mushrooms as mushrooms, rice as rice and chicken wings from chickens.

I won't see the purpose or value of trying to change something into something else until the result is better than the original.

True to a point but battered cauliflower with buffalo hot sauce is surprisingly tasty and a grilled portobello cap with BBQ sauce on a bun is a pretty good substitute. The stuff I get from Montreal is also really well done, more so than nearly all the alternatives in the groceries here.

True to a point but battered cauliflower with buffalo hot sauce is surprisingly tasty and a grilled portobello cap with BBQ sauce on a bun is a pretty good substitute. The stuff I get from Montreal is also really well done, more so than nearly all the alternatives in the groceries here.
I'm good with that as long as you don't call it a vegan chicken wing or beef-burger.

I have tried cauliflower crust pizza (blech), various 'beyond meats' (blech-blech). One I didn't mind, my wife calls them Zoodles, is zucchini sliced to ribbons that look like linguini -- but that was more of a recipe than a substitution.

Back
Top Bottom