The less meat thread | Page 4 | GTAMotorcycle.com

The less meat thread

agreed

There are many reasons people go the vegetarian or vegan route, for some its religious or ethical reasons, for others its health reasons

There are also cultural factors at play, its ridiculously easy to be vegetarian for certain people (indian people, or buddhists etc)

For people used to eating boiled potatoes, or food cooked in sheep stomach...not so much

In an ideal world, I would either eat everything free range, or hunting and eating elk joe rogan style, not a big fan of factory farming
Being part Scot I have tried haggis. I would have enjoyed it more if I didn't know what was in it. Apparently it's illegal in the USA but Twinkies are OK. Wild game can have problems as well. Wasting disease is a variation of Mad Cow. Cooking doesn't change the problem.

That's a good story:)

I have a serious love for food and since I've generally had a higher metabolism for much of my life, I eat a lot. I could easily eat double the amount I do and I did this until around 35, but have since cut back a lot to stop the gluttony. Stopped eating meat around 15 years ago for many reasons that I won't get into, but while I really enjoyed eating meat every meal, I don't miss it one bit. I'm leaner, faster, have better endurance, more alert, sleep less and definitely much healthier. I also know that while being healthy may not prevent me from getting sick, hopefully it will help my ability to recover from illness. I love all kinds of food and I generally eat food because I enjoy it, not just for fuel, but I do choose my food intake by what I am doing like working, exercising, riding, or whatever...

I don't really have many suggestions for less meat eating - if someone want to eat less meat, then no need to choose a beyond meat burger - just don't eat meat and eat other things you enjoy. If you crave the meat, then maybe just eat the meat. If you like the beyond meat burger for what it is, then have one. If you want a plan to reduce meat consumption, maybe decide to only eat it once or twice per day and reduce it from there as you feel it's right for you.

And I think if you can grow some food for yourself, I think it can increase your connections with what you put into your body - regardless of whether it's a plant or an animal. I find growing my own food has introduced me to some really interesting colours and flavours of food we rarely find in stores.

Lastly, I really dislike eating packaged food, so I try to avoid that as much as possible. It takes a lot of energy and resources to produce most of the food we eat, so minimizing unnecessary packaging is something I try to keep in mind.
I don't own shares in Me-Va-Me restaurants but they have a vegetarian dish that is so good that I've never tried their meats. If you pick the right sauces it might even be vegan. My point is that there are meatless foods that have a lot of flavour. They don't all taste like the paper the menu was written on.

3D printed steak.

Man, we're inching ever so close to all the Star Trek technologies, it's crazy.

"Computer! Tea. Earl Gray. Hot!"

On another note, the shape of that steak is so unappetizingly fake. I don't really think faux-meat producers should try to replicate the *shape* of meat.

Way to drive home the point that this wasn't really meat! 🤮

For a period of time in my youth I worked at a Subway. We had a Rib sub back then as well, and it was the same thing - a preformed "rib" patty. I will admit, it was pretty tasty, but like many of Subways old Subs (Crab, Rib, and a few others I forget) it's history.

Heck, if you go order some of the chicken subs now it's the same thing, a formed patty. Only the "premium" chicken is actual shredded meat, and I think even that was discontinued in the USA, although I seem to remember seeing it here still. I will admit I eat Subway waaaaay too often, but of all the fast food options, say what you will, it's amongst the healthiest.

I do miss the roast beef and club, however. Discontinued. I guess the food costs were too high.

6. No one ever died of mad cauliflower disease

Just sayin'. ;)

Think I need to review my diet. This week alone I’ve had 2 episodes(haven’t slept since 3am today) with massive heart burn of some sort.

3 days ago I thought I was dying as my stomach felt it was turning in and around itself. Bloating, and very very gassy (wife said I sounded like a deer performing mating calls).

Pain is just under my left rib cage near the front. Heartburn? Ulcers? Gas? Whatever it is, needs to be looked at.
See your MD. The "Pain in abdomen" list is as long as your arm. In the mean time review any changes in diet of lifestyle.

Just a FEW of the things on the list:

I welcomed in 2022 with a kidney stone. Excruciating pain but no bloating. Fortunately it passed in a couple of hours. A visit to ER during covid wasn't going to happen.

I gave up dairy last summer except for the occasional small scoop of ice cream. No more bloating and crop dusting.

I gave up sugar a month or so back and it's hard to describe the improvement. Compare going for a drive in the winter (multi layers, gloves, boots, scarf, toque etc) to a drive in the summer, (tee shirt, sneakers and shorts.)

A cousin died of a twisted bowel.

Last summer I suspect I had an obstructed bowel, pain and bloating, passed in a few hours but that may have been luck. My cousin wasn't properly diagnosed.

Gall bladder? day surgery now. They used to open you up like a gutted fish and you were off your pins for six months.

Appendicitis?

My step father had pains that turned out to be an aneurysm on his aorta. Instant death if it bursts. Long story

I went through a long bout of stomach pains that were minimized with an acid blocker. The real problem was a change in lifestyle that had me drinking a lot more coffee and I couldn't handle the caffeine. I'm OK with a cup a day.

You can stick this list to a wall and throw a dart at it and experiment but I really think a trip to your doctor is in order. If you're in pain skip him and go to ER. Don't F around if you want to see #3

I don't own shares in Me-Va-Me restaurants but they have a vegetarian dish that is so good that I've never tried their meats. If you pick the right sauces it might even be vegan. My point is that there are meatless foods that have a lot of flavour. They don't all taste like the paper the menu was written on.
Middle Eastern cuisine is great for veggie based dishes that are tasty. "Jerusalem: A Cookbook" or "Falastin: A Cookbook" are popular ones to learn more about the dishes. Mom's tabbouleh - half the ingredients from her garden:
20220116_093622.jpg

Middle Eastern cuisine is great for veggie based dishes that are tasty. "Jerusalem: A Cookbook" or "Falastin: A Cookbook" are popular ones to learn more about the dishes. Mom's tabbouleh - half the ingredients from her garden:
View attachment 52939
Our favourite restaurant was run by an Iranian lady. Unfortunately it closed long ago.

My wife can't handle heat but the Iranian / Persian flavours came from herbs more than spices.

The lady was a perfectionist. Charcoal not gas grill, and sometimes a dish wasn't available because she couldn't find lamb that was good enough.

We haver a couple cookbooks the help alot with ideas, its hard when your starting out . There are a couple ( like 2000) indian restaurants in the Malton Brampton area that make pretty good stuff . I cant pronounce it, but I like it.

Our favourite restaurant was run by an Iranian lady. Unfortunately it closed long ago.

My wife can't handle heat but the Iranian / Persian flavours came from herbs more than spices.

The lady was a perfectionist. Charcoal not gas grill, and sometimes a dish wasn't available because she couldn't find lamb that was good enough.
Try an herb stew called "Ghormeh Sabzi" at a reputable Persian restaurant - preferably one that leans more towards stews than grilled meats/kebabs. It is a fantastic dish, very flavourful, primarily vegetarian with lamb or beef often added in (or a veggie substitute). The Persians take pride in that dish.

I welcomed in 2022 with a kidney stone. Excruciating pain but no bloating. Fortunately it passed in a couple of hours. A visit to ER during covid wasn't going to happen.

I gave up dairy last summer except for the occasional small scoop of ice cream. No more bloating and crop dusting.

51TJGD.gif

Good to hear my dad had to get his lasered out, that was years ago, no COVID then.

I also pretty much gave up on milk, not dairy entirely, the odd hard cheese now and then, but no more cereal.

For years I made poor choices on diet.
Lastly, I really dislike eating packaged food, so I try to avoid that as much as possible. It takes a lot of energy and resources to produce most of the food we eat, so minimizing unnecessary packaging is something I tr
Got a wakeup call at 50. My doctor wrote me 3 prescription slips as part of the recovery.

1. A few meds.
2. Eat nothing from a box.
3. Briskly walk 2 miles each day.

Try an herb stew called "Ghormeh Sabzi" at a reputable Persian restaurant - preferably one that leans more towards stews than grilled meats/kebabs. It is a fantastic dish, very flavourful, primarily vegetarian with lamb or beef often added in (or a veggie substitute). The Persians take pride in that dish.
I just looked up the recipe and it contains cilantro, a herb my wife really dislikes. I may try it with a less bitter alternative.

For years I made poor choices on diet.

Got a wakeup call at 50. My doctor wrote me 3 prescription slips as part of the recovery.

1. A few meds.
2. Eat nothing from a box.
3. Briskly walk 2 miles each day.
My BIL has always worked in fast food and being a cheapskate took advantage of the free food. He's paying for it now and it's not reversible. He now eats a lot of kale and starch. A different diet but not much better.

One of my favorite restaurants was Jerusalem House, used to be at Leslie and Finch.

Loved their couscous salad and falafel dishes. They had a sauce bar with tzatziki, baba ganoush, etc. So delicious.

For any of you with severe heartburn that's a heart attack precursor and you should get checked asap. Might just be the chili dog but.....:unsure:

I'm having a fight with coffee...love my latte's but have to be careful with the amount of caffeine and the acid level. Taking some sort of script for the latter. If it gets annoying a magnesium carbonate tab takes care of the acid. I'm okay with caffeine in Pepsi Max but a double espresso will leave my stomach upset for a day even in a big latte. Still trying to determine how much I can tolerate and when as I'm used to 3-4 small lattes a day.
I was fine when I was using the Breville to do my own and with my grind and bean chocie but the house Nespresso here does not allow any real control except the pod choice.
Uncooked onions are my other "don't go there" anymore....I'm okay with carmelized or well done onion rings but not raw anymore.
Sucks getting old. 😟
But riding knock some years off and certainly a huge mental lift every time.🥰

Love my coffee so much. I drink about 4 cups before 10am every day. Black so it’s more healthy option!

For any of you with severe heartburn that's a heart attack precursor and you should get checked asap. Might just be the chili dog but.....:unsure:

I'm having a fight with coffee...love my latte's but have to be careful with the amount of caffeine and the acid level. Taking some sort of script for the latter. If it gets annoying a magnesium carbonate tab takes care of the acid. I'm okay with caffeine in Pepsi Max but a double espresso will leave my stomach upset for a day even in a big latte. Still trying to determine how much I can tolerate and when as I'm used to 3-4 small lattes a day.
I was fine when I was using the Breville to do my own and with my grind and bean chocie but the house Nespresso here does not allow any real control except the pod choice.
Uncooked onions are my other "don't go there" anymore....I'm okay with carmelized or well done onion rings but not raw anymore.
Sucks getting old. 😟

I’m suffering from bad reflux lately but I’m putting that down to my students. Can’t be the coffee, beer, wine, whisky or chips.

Sucks getting old. 😟
I have a brother in New Zealand and when travelling through the Pacific Rim ended up at a sketchy restaurant. One of the dishes served had onions and he suspects it gave him food poisoning to the point they had to airlift him home or he would die. He's OK now but the thought of eating onions is a no-no. It's purely psychological as he can eat them if they can't be tasted.

Back
Top Bottom