The Bad Riders of Ontario Thread | Page 14 | GTAMotorcycle.com

The Bad Riders of Ontario Thread

I actually don't remember any major collisions before the roundabout was installed. Didn't see any, didn't see much in the way of broken parts or absorb-all piles in the intersection. Never read about any rash of major accidents there. That's why I was so surprised the wasted money on a roundabout.

I have read about a couple major accidents there involving gravel trucks since however.
It was a bad intersection before, just Google “accident Bloomington and 48”.

Remember the lights pre roundabout? It was so bad the lights only allowed 1 of 4 directions thru, then there was a 10 second pause between red and the next green. Tons of congestion, cars could wait 3-4 minutes to get thru.

the roundabout increased the rate of flow while slowing traffic sufficiently to eliminate the frequent high speed t-bones at the intersection.

I use it daily. Thousands of dump trucks use it too, I don’t see them as a risk, they all know how to negotiate the roundabout. Cant say the same for others, I still see people stop or change lanes inside the circle, fail to follow the yield signs, many come in way too hot. Some of this is learning, mostly it’s just “bad drivers of Ontario”.

I hope they put them at all major York regional road intersections.

Remember the lights pre roundabout? It was so bad the lights only allowed 1 of 4 directions thru, then there was a 10 second pause between red and the next green. Tons of congestion, cars could wait 3-4 minutes to get thru.

the roundabout increased the rate of flow while slowing traffic sufficiently to eliminate the frequent high speed t-bones at the intersection.

It was certainly a great improvement!

It's also a fun chicane if there is no traffic around. :)

..Tom

It was certainly a great improvement!

It's also a fun chicane if there is no traffic around. :)

..Tom
That too. It’s about the most excitement you’ll find on Bloomington or 48.

2 cruisers and 1 adventure bike ripping beside stopped traffic on the shoulder of the 401WB today….wish I had the nuts to do that. We’re all stopped and they’re punching by at 60+ Kph.

I use it daily. Thousands of dump trucks use it too, I don’t see them as a risk, they all know how to negotiate the roundabout. Cant say the same for others, I still see people stop or change lanes inside the circle, fail to follow the yield signs, many come in way too hot. Some of this is learning, mostly it’s just “bad drivers of Ontario”.

I hope they put them at all major York regional road intersections.
I remember the intersection before the roundabout perfectly well. That's why I remember it being better.

A quick google search for accident Bloomington and 48 returns 3 articles with traffic accidents. 1 from before the roundabout and 2 after. Seems like accidents are up 50% according to the google machine.

If you find this intersection works for you then enjoy it. I value my life and will continue to avoid it.

I
I remember the intersection before the roundabout perfectly well. That's why I remember it being better.

A quick google search for accident Bloomington and 48 returns 3 articles with traffic accidents. 1 from before the roundabout and 2 after. Seems like accidents are up 50% according to the google machine.

If you find this intersection works for you then enjoy it. I value my life and will continue to avoid it.
I use it twice a day and yes I’ll enjoy never stopping and waiting 5 minutes for 3 red lights to cycle. I’ll also never miss watching dump trucks trying to beat red lights thru the intersection at 100+Kmh.

It's not about reducing the number of collisions, they get put in knowing that the number will increase. It's about severity, you'll have more minor, and fewer severe collisions with a properly built roundabout. If the drivers know how to use one properly...and signal...and... ;)

Sent from my SM-G973W using GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

I use it twice a day and yes I’ll enjoy never stopping and waiting 5 minutes for 3 red lights to cycle. I’ll also never miss watching dump trucks trying to beat red lights thru the intersection at 100+Kmh.

I lived in Stouffville for a few years. Use to think that intersection was dangerous till I moved to Aldershot and started using what was arguably one of the worst sections of road in the province daily.

Prior to 09 there use to be an intersection here at Plains + Northcliff. Loaded dump trucks came down the escarpment on 6N from Lafarge Quarry on #5 @ 100km. The light would be green as they dropped into the dip before the train bridge. They'd reach the crest and realize they were 200 yds. from an intersection with a (now) red light. Oops. Too late. Airhorn it is (if I can convince myself to loosen the death grip on the wheel while I'm skidding). Accidents were so frequent that if I was sitting in my living room with the windows open I could tell from the sound of the crash whether I thought a prudent response was police, police + fire truck, or police + fire truck + ambulance when I called 911.
MLX4ifwl6rizAf-SBqE76YtrJUfAiGu7R3US7SmmchDFpmiRCWPNPwOE2zwNoZzL8aqwDX8kea4PQuy8_P7KvQBwmkCVh9Uuhl1owzX3-ZiuUmpRL2px3QdscSdSfTa6-Lc_Ixsex5tor4xnd9r4qZWuJGUY8NB4kYbgjLSLSEr2uIfJlEzQ_MaLjssGjLypDZbutbftwNdDAfCsEPqq6jKsw_N0se0RWtH11qzpk0yxUCJV-a_FF9VKSMnu5lZaf6lyDE33jfYbozyhjVh90-SUTnM_CPlbVAAgUTVIZldEjzu7kVhUYx4pq3On-x0Wz92NNUXzqLbjjVYEBsIq3JW6YYR1HcWE5HjeZCRpvSzyGK-qdfD-A4UmLf4_SZDxm46DOjvFCeyAYfchcJzO3P3ieqy4CjC7B7eLmZoJqXuG37tTwB_lcc5dSz5ypEEjs6TsJ3Oe2b7_nE4BuqhWYhmR7oJfC93Uv4DQY9j7VGpc6z0s9iyyeIA07FcfOWpR6vNsx9qyT5i3fKfcd6WtNdkhWU0R9dNlo2Vr3H3oj22G4fgba-Qh-1Mrplc8Ufr_DY1YxZG9RS1TEmk4PSitqe6WrYSlB2te9oGt3NS_1G-Il0XCx2SVqxia00kXhfWKS2-yCNDD-kFby0ybT3RCOAxJ_UVI_WG2RGnxYh9JQMCjui9ybhbND92dktsGD9MMYmBJQj8Q6wt7WMPih3-pKyI=w1494-h910-no

Further up the hill a few hundred yards, prior to them leveling the grade down the escarpment and putting in an overpass, the intersection @York and Old York roads was a level crossing with stop signs on York Rd. Making a right onto 6N was sketchy. Making a left was a full on crap-shoot.

6_cl_79_north_July05_lg.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom