The Bad Drivers of Ontario Thread | Page 321 | GTAMotorcycle.com

The Bad Drivers of Ontario Thread

24 yo kills a 16 yo on a minibike in Vaughan at 22:45 last night.

"Harnoor Chauhan, 24, of Vaughan, was arrested in connection with the crash and charged with dangerous operation causing death, failure to stop after an accident causing death and possession of a controlled substance.

Police said Chauhan was “bound by a release order” for unrelated offences at the time of the incident."

Or he set cruise at 49 over to avoid a 172 ticket and went down to 35 over afterwards (ime, that's still in almost guaranteed ticket territory).

Bold strategy, factoring in the +/- error of standard auto speedometers. Even cruise will vary a klick or two while adjusting for road incline/wind conditions.

I didn't know about this 'policy'...

I like it in theory. If you haven't caused life-changing consequences for someone else, getting a criminal record with the associated life-changing consequences seems excessive for a first time. The second time, hit them hard with everything you've got as they obviously have a pattern. If you change someones life with your choice, sorry, no free pass you get the hard road.

The very high BAC being exempt from this is interesting. It's hard to argue that a slightly drunk person gets a lighter penalty than someone that by definition cannot think properly. Sure the very high BAC is more dangerous to us but they probably have less intent to drive drunk than someone slightly over.

Its not that uncommon for for a cop to give a heads up to their colleagues down the road. Having a attitude near assures it.
Cop I knew back in the day use to set speed trap on Huntingwood, north Scarborough. Speed limit 50. His partner would set up just down the street. If someone caught a second time, second cop would hand the ticket with a 'didn't learn the first time did ya?' And a warning that maybe more cops down the road. Always good for a laugh for them.

Cop I knew back in the day use to set speed trap on Huntingwood, north Scarborough. Speed limit 50. His partner would set up just down the street. If someone caught a second time, second cop would hand the ticket with a 'didn't learn the first time did ya?' And a warning that maybe more cops down the road. Always good for a laugh for them.
I worked with a guy that got caught three times in two miles on Weston road. He had a lippy attitude towards police and I'm sure the attitude warning traveled faster than Mario to the following stops.

I like it in theory. If you haven't caused life-changing consequences for someone else, getting a criminal record with the associated life-changing consequences seems excessive for a first time. The second time, hit them hard with everything you've got as they obviously have a pattern. If you change someones life with your choice, sorry, no free pass you get the hard road.

The very high BAC being exempt from this is interesting. It's hard to argue that a slightly drunk person gets a lighter penalty than someone that by definition cannot think properly. Sure the very high BAC is more dangerous to us but they probably have less intent to drive drunk than someone slightly over.
I wouldn't have a problem with purging records after ten years for DUI or personal drug use if the violator did all the right stuff afterwards. I'd even be OK with it in cases where the actions caused life changes but that would be at the mercy of the injured parties. Their suffering can't be swept under a convenient rug.

Hate is like letting someone live rent free in your head.

I wouldn't have a problem with purging records after ten years for DUI or personal drug use if the violator did all the right stuff afterwards. I'd even be OK with it in cases where the actions caused life changes but that would be at the mercy of the injured parties. Their suffering can't be swept under a convenient rug.

Hate is like letting someone live rent free in your head.

That's exactly how it works now... Someone can get a pardon after 5 years for summary convictions.. or 10 years for indictable offences.
It used to 5 years for all.. but Karla Homolka getting a pardon brought attention to it and it was changed.

That's exactly how it works now... Someone can get a pardon after 5 years for summary convictions.. or 10 years for indictable offences.
It used to 5 years for all.. but Karla Homolka getting a pardon brought attention to it and it was changed.
Except a pardon may help in Canada but according to the US, you still have a conviction. You can never be un-convicted and computers don't forget. Sadly, the difference between having a criminal conviction and not can vastly change your life. Once you have one criminal conviction, more barely matter.

Except a pardon may help in Canada but according to the US, you still have a conviction. You can never be un-convicted and computers don't forget. Sadly, the difference between having a criminal conviction and not can vastly change your life. Once you have one criminal conviction, more barely matter.
It's not just the convictions that matter at the border. I was driving down to visit friends in North Carolina with a friend and his (much younger) girlfriend. I thought that it would be my typical virtual wave-through at the border, being a squeaky clean middle-aged white boy, but we were there for something like 2 hours. My friend had once been charged with assault some years back, for repeatedly striking his landlord in the fist with his face. No, that wasn't a typo. His girlfriend had been charged with shoplifting a few years before (not convicted). Those charges resulted in them being questioned, at some length, as to why they should be permitted entry.

I'm not sure.. but I believe the border services have access to systems that show a lot more than criminal convictions.. like CPIC or similar.. I think they can see everything. If so.. they would see the original charges, the plea deal, etc..
That said.. I don't think a single dui conviction prevents someone from crossing.. multiple would.. so the person would already be outside of that policy when/if they were denied.

A pardon also won't hide someone's record from the more in-depth searches required for working with vulnerable persons, etc..

It's not just the convictions that matter at the border. I was driving down to visit friends in North Carolina with a friend and his (much younger) girlfriend. I thought that it would be my typical virtual wave-through at the border, being a squeaky clean middle-aged white boy, but we were there for something like 2 hours. My friend had once been charged with assault some years back, for repeatedly striking his landlord in the fist with his face. No, that wasn't a typo. His girlfriend had been charged with shoplifting a few years before (not convicted). Those charges resulted in them being questioned, at some length, as to why they should be permitted entry.
I thought the question they asked was "Have you ever been charged..." Nothing about conviction.

I'm not sure.. but I believe the border services have access to systems that show a lot more than criminal convictions.. like CPIC or similar.. I think they can see everything. If so.. they would see the original charges, the plea deal, etc..
That said.. I don't think a single dui conviction prevents someone from crossing.. multiple would.. so the person would already be outside of that policy when/if they were denied.

A pardon also won't hide someone's record from the more in-depth searches required for working with vulnerable persons, etc..
CPIC only shows anything active,pending charges probation and such NCIC check is more in-depth for example if charges were ever laid against you regardless of the outcome of the charges.

Back
Top Bottom