The Bad Drivers of Ontario Thread | Page 54 | GTAMotorcycle.com

The Bad Drivers of Ontario Thread

not a dashcam video, but it wouldnt surprise me if the person is a bad driver too

[video=youtube;mHxPpgAzd3Y]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHxPpgAzd3Y&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Last edited:
401 truck crash from other direction, around 30 sec point.

[video=youtube;5PLGkPaAJno]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PLGkPaAJno&t=17[/video]

This thread makes me afraid to drive

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Those yellow striped lines are there to warn pedestrians not to loiter in that area as its purpose is high-speed passing.

200.gif

My quick search yielded this link: http://driving.ca/auto-news/news/how-many-know-what-those-road-lines-mean-2

It is not legal to drive on yellow "zebra" median markers. These markers usually precede left-turn lanes.

The writer of that article is based in BC. He may be speaking about BC law. I'm not sure it's the same in Ontario.

You mean the one written by "Times Colonist"? I'm sure that he knows better than my driving instructor did, after all there must be lots of training to be a Colonist. If you do find a legitimate source, say from the highway traffic act or something, then let us know. The only spot that I know of where you can't cross a solid, is on the HOV lanes, as it's written into the description of how they work.

Aaaaaalllrighty then - but let's try to not mislead any would-be dinguses in there that might start to think that was a passing lane, mmmmkay?

You mean the one written by "Times Colonist"? I'm sure that he knows better than my driving instructor did, after all there must be lots of training to be a Colonist. If you do find a legitimate source, say from the highway traffic act or something, then let us know. The only spot that I know of where you can't cross a solid, is on the HOV lanes, as it's written into the description of how they work.

Read the posts again; we're not talking about crossing solid lines, we're talking about driving in the middle lane of a two-way road that has thick, diagonal, yellow lines painted ("Zebra" lines).

I don't know what education a certified "driving instructor" requires, but I'm pretty sure it ain't a lot. IMHO I think a BIG problem we have in this country is immigrant driving schools teaching other immigrant's how to drive. It is NOT enough to just know & teach what the road markings and signs mean. Every continent and country has driving "etiquette" that most of us in here are all too familiar with, and these just can't be learned unless someone REALLY cares and is paying good attention (I'm writing this as the son of immigrant parents). Unfortunately, when Mohammad comes to Canada and his PH.D isn't recognized here, he has an easier time opening a driving school, rather than practicing medicine. And all of his driving habits, etiquette and understanding he has from his home country get taught in his mother tongue to other new-Canadians.

As for crossing solid lines, the ONLY time it seems to be legal is on a two-way road with a single yellow line. Pretty much every other instance indicates that you cannot cross over (double yellow, single white, solid-side of a solid & dashed line, etc). You'll need to refer to the driver's handbook for this; they don't publish the info online, cuz they want you to buy the book.

The writer of that article is based in BC. He may be speaking about BC law. I'm not sure it's the same in Ontario.

Do you really think the road markings will differ between the provinces? Got any examples of that? I really doubt it (seeing as how our standards match those of another country (USA), but I guess it's possible.

Last edited:
As for crossing solid lines, the ONLY time it seems to be legal is on a two-way road with a single yellow line. Pretty much every other instance indicates that you cannot cross over (double yellow, single white, solid-side of a solid & dashed line, etc). You'll need to refer to the driver's handbook for this; they don't publish the info online, cuz they want you to buy the book.

And ironically you're quite mistaken there about the passing on solid lines. In ONTARIO its not against any law. If its spesignposted ie "Do Not Pass", then it would be illegal . Please refer to this and many other articles on the www: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/glob...-line-to-pass-on-the-highway/article25498287/

“In Ontario, lane markings generally serve an advisory or warning function and by themselves do not possess any legal force,” writes Ontario Ministry of Transportation (MTO) spokesman Bob Nichols in an email statement.

Do you really think the road markings will differ between the provinces? Got any examples of that? I really doubt it (seeing as how our standards match those of another country (USA), but I guess it's possible.

Yes.

Can pass on double solid yellows in Ontario and not in BC (Or anywhere outside of Ontario really...).

There's no offence in Ontario for passing/crossing the double yellow. But in most cases, the double yellow lines appear where you should not pass based upon another reason. For example:

149. (1) No vehicle shall be driven or operated to the left of the centre of a roadway designed for one or more lines of traffic in each direction,

(a) when approaching the crest of a grade or upon a curve in the roadway or within 30 metres of a bridge, viaduct or tunnel where the driver’s view is obstructed within that distance so as to create a potential hazard in the event another vehicle might approach from the opposite direction;

There's no offence in Ontario for passing/crossing the double yellow. But in most cases *Around the GTA*, the double yellow lines appear where you should not pass based upon another reason. For example:

149. (1) No vehicle shall be driven or operated to the left of the centre of a roadway designed for one or more lines of traffic in each direction,

(a) when approaching the crest of a grade or upon a curve in the roadway or within 30 metres of a bridge, viaduct or tunnel where the driver’s view is obstructed within that distance so as to create a potential hazard in the event another vehicle might approach from the opposite direction;

Aaaaaalllrighty then - but let's try to not mislead any would-be dinguses in there that might start to think that was a passing lane, mmmmkay? Read the posts again; we're not talking about crossing solid lines, we're talking about driving in the middle lane of a two-way road that has thick, diagonal, yellow lines painted ("Zebra" lines). I don't know what education a certified "driving instructor" requires, but I'm pretty sure it ain't a lot. IMHO I think a BIG problem we have in this country is immigrant driving schools teaching other immigrant's how to drive. It is NOT enough to just know & teach what the road markings and signs mean. Every continent and country has driving "etiquette" that most of us in here are all too familiar with, and these just can't be learned unless someone REALLY cares and is paying good attention (I'm writing this as the son of immigrant parents). Unfortunately, when Mohammad comes to Canada and his PH.D isn't recognized here, he has an easier time opening a driving school, rather than practicing medicine. And all of his driving habits, etiquette and understanding he has from his home country get taught in his mother tongue to other new-Canadians. As for crossing solid lines, the ONLY time it seems to be legal is on a two-way road with a single yellow line. Pretty much every other instance indicates that you cannot cross over (double yellow, single white, solid-side of a solid & dashed line, etc). You'll need to refer to the driver's handbook for this; they don't publish the info online, cuz they want you to buy the book. Do you really think the road markings will differ between the provinces? Got any examples of that? I really doubt it (seeing as how our standards match those of another country (USA), but I guess it's possible.
So you're saying that it's etiquette then and not the law? If there are ten cars in line to turn left, is it not better etiquette to have them over the zebra lines, so that the straight through traffic can proceed without waiting for them? The driving school was supposed to be run by or associated with some traffic cops, they might have even been the teachers. I was long ago. If the law has changed in the last 40 years, then I haven't kept up. That's just how I was taught. Like I said, if you have any documentation to show that it's illegal, I'd be happy to see it. The Civic's issue was that he went straight through in the left turn lane, and was passing in the zebra lane. Here's your excerpt from the Driver's Handbook; notice that they don't mention the type of lines: "Passing within 30 metres of a pedestrian crossover is not permitted. Passing left of a centreline is not permitted 30 metres from a bridge, viaduct or tunnel. Don’t attempt to pass when approaching the crest of a hill or on a curve where your vision of oncoming traffic is obstructed and there is not enough clear distance ahead to pass in safety."

Yes.

Can pass on double solid yellows in Ontario and not in BC (Or anywhere outside of Ontario really...).

and in some US states, there are signs that indicate the start of "no passing" zones and then signs end the "no passing" to allow for passing. Ontario just has "no passing" but nothing showing when passing can resume.

[video=youtube;I60iXnp7218]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I60iXnp7218&feature=youtu.be[/video]

My own video.

So you're saying that it's etiquette then and not the law?...

I'm not even going to read your post, because that's not what I was trying to say at all LOL I was just trying to dispute your point about a "driving instructor's" word as being gospel. I can't even count the number of times I've seen driving instructors poorly teaching students in their cars.

I did learn today, however, that double lines and single yellow lines in Onterrible are merely suggestions :\ Which is completely ridiculous

We were disputing using the yellow painted zebra lane to pass vehicles on the left. Not extending a turning lane which is common-sense.

I did learn today, however, that double lines and single yellow lines in Onterrible are merely suggestions :\ Which is completely ridiculous

I like the fact that is a suggestion, that way I can pass those Harley trains ;-) Seriously, the factor that most people dont know this makes it less likely that I would want to use it at times, especially if the driver being overtaken could be irritated. ie. Try to avoid some sort of road rage incident after the fact.

Back
Top Bottom