The Bad Drivers of Ontario Thread | Page 24 | GTAMotorcycle.com

The Bad Drivers of Ontario Thread

Rear end accident on Rutherford just now, later down the road don't I see two tow truck drivers from different companies racing each other to get to the scene. One pulls in the left turning lane and cuts traffic off. I talked to officers about this and apparently it's not allowed they are not supposed to be doing that.

(not me)

[video=youtube;s7yUOlE5mGM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7yUOlE5mGM[/video]

This is so incredibly stupid on account of BOTH drivers.

The guy in the matrix is obviously wrong, for obvious reasons, but the dash-cam car driver could have easily foreseen that guy doing something stupid through a simple analysis of the situation and his vehicle positioning: Signal is on, there is NO traffic ahead of him, and he appears to be slowing...

But the dash-cam car driver ignorantly ignored these blatant warning signs AND arguably acted with ego by holding his position and speed.

Defensive driving 101. If that was any of us on our bikes, we would have avoided that, for sure.

The guy in the matrix is obviously wrong, for obvious reasons, but the dash-cam car driver could have easily foreseen that guy doing something stupid through a simple analysis of the situation and his vehicle positioning: Signal is on, there is NO traffic ahead of him, and he appears to be slowing...

But the dash-cam car driver ignorantly ignored these blatant warning signs AND arguably acted with ego by holding his position and speed.

Defensive driving 101. If that was any of us on our bikes, we would have avoided that, for sure.

Always easy to see how the quarterback screwed up from the perspective of Monday morning, but it's different when it's actually happening to you. Looking at that incident I was expecting the other driver to make a lane change and not a turn from the wrong lane, which is essentially like coming to a stop in zero distance.

I've posted this before. I think it happens around 45 sec in the video. TURN YOUR VOLUME DOWN!

Sometimes you just cant anticipate stupid.

[video=youtube;H7Z9VrUTGzc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7Z9VrUTGzc&t=45[/video]

Always easy to see how the quarterback screwed up from the perspective of Monday morning, but it's different when it's actually happening to you. Looking at that incident I was expecting the other driver to make a lane change and not a turn from the wrong lane, which is essentially like coming to a stop in zero distance.

yeah yeah, "armchair experts", I get it. Again; based on the relative speed (or acceleration) of the two cars, the dash-cam car would have had to slow down at MINIMUM, even if it was a lane change! but that guy felt "he was in the right" and drove without any consideration of the car nearby. I empathize with the guy, but it still looked avoidable.

I've posted this before. I think it happens around 45 sec in the video. TURN YOUR VOLUME DOWN!

Sometimes you just cant anticipate stupid.

[video=youtube;H7Z9VrUTGzc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7Z9VrUTGzc&t=45[/video]

Naaaahhhh you can TOTALLY see that guy changing lanes and slowing down WAY too fast! and there was an exit there! an attentive, defensive driver could have swerved to avoid, but this one is a LOT closer than the other one.

My perspective is abnormally distrusting, however: even in light traffic, I actively try to stay as far away from other cars as possible when I drive, so ...

Also, I don't think her music was too loud.

Rear end accident on Rutherford just now, later down the road don't I see two tow truck drivers from different companies racing each other to get to the scene. One pulls in the left turning lane and cuts traffic off. I talked to officers about this and apparently it's not allowed they are not supposed to be doing that.
Dump truck and car collided. Driver of the car has passed away.
Saw a piece on tv from Ottawa that said that tow trucks have to be 60m (?) back from the scene until police move them closer. Not sure if that applies here, but would be a good move imo.
Saw a cop on 407 doing radar. Got off highway, see a tow truck jump the curb and race to an accident. 30 seconds later, the cop races off towards the accident (presumably ) So the tow trucks respond faster? How does that dispatch work?

Sent from a Samsung Galaxy far, far away using Tapatalk

It's one thing to perceive that "something's wrong". It's quite another to be able to accurately read the other driver's mind and be able to take the correct preventive action while also NOT "crying wolf" 100 times over for similar actions by other drivers that don't actually cause a collision - and sometimes the actions that would be necessary to prevent the collision would be completely unexpected to the person behind you.

For example, in the case of the 401 exit collision shown above (where the driver in the left lane went across the whole road to take the exit and hit the camera vehicle which was in the right lane and not taking the exit) ... What do you do? Slow down EVERY time there is another vehicle two lanes over? I think not. You can't really take action until that driver actually starts making the wrong move - and then it's a crapshoot whether you would be able to slow down enough to actually avoid the collision.

Yes, driving side by side with another vehicle, particularly approaching an exit, is a good thing to avoid doing, in order to prevent situations like this ... but it can only be taken SO far because it becomes unreasonable.

For the night-time left-turn-from-right-lane incident, I picked up "something's wrong" but didn't expect a left turn from the right lane.

Saw a piece on tv from Ottawa that said that tow trucks have to be 60m (?) back from the scene until police move them closer. Not sure if that applies here, but would be a good move imo.

It's 100m from a collision scene, but it's only a municipal bylaw - the GTA could certainly use something similar.

van on left

[video=youtube;gECBK3RmPLI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gECBK3RmPLI[/video]

For example, in the case of the 401 exit collision shown above (where the driver in the left lane went across the whole road to take the exit and hit the camera vehicle which was in the right lane and not taking the exit) ...it's a crapshoot whether you would be able to slow down enough to actually avoid the collision.

Sometimes the correct course of action is not to slow down. This accident could have been avoided by speeding up and getting past the car.

Sometimes the correct course of action is not to slow down. This accident could have been avoided by speeding up and getting past the car.

Tried that in my similar incident. Slowing down would have meant broadsiding the other car, as there was insufficient stopping distance. Speeding up didn't quite get me into the intersection, where there was room to manoeuvre, so he hit my front driver's quarter panel and door.

1:15 in the video

[video=youtube;HeixoqmwOss]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HeixoqmwOss&t=48&[/video]

[video=youtube;99Q-rxHLsL4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99Q-rxHLsL4&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Back
Top Bottom