The audiophile thread | Page 8 | GTAMotorcycle.com

The audiophile thread

Bump!

Anyone suggest a high quality speaker stand for my dj booth monitors?
Ideally the stands should be height adjustable between 12-24", since I move my booth from my basement to the kitchen island when I'm feeling frisky.
It seems all the adjustable stands I find are minimum 30", which is too tall since the basement booth is already 42" high and the kitchen island is 36" high.

The monitors are the KRK VXT6's and weigh 27lbs.
316-W2u229L._AC_.jpg

Thanks!

Good luck @shanekingsley, that might be hard to find. Check www.canuckaudiomart.com.

Thx @J_F. Bass response is such a personal preference; I find a neutral headphones to be my optimum. Some of my recordings are light on the bass, but many others are not. And those full spectrum bass recordings sound a little crazy in bass-heavy headphones and stereo systems.

I find CAM (the link earlier) to be a great place to get quality audio gear at great prices for all budgets. Lots of vintage gear there. I recently picked up some equipment myself.

I've now had the Sennheiser 6XX (650) headphones for over a year and feel comfortable enough to give a little more feedback. They need a better source than smart phones but if you don't mind that, they are worth it. I and others can hear a greater frequency response (more dynamic) which means lower lows and higher highs (if your ears can hear the highs). It simply gives a more impactful listening session with quality recordings. Excellent headphone construction too.

I'm looking for some inexpensive earphones. These caught my eye. Heavily discounted old stock basic earphones with mic and no controls. $20 reg $65.

Last edited:
shane, what dj equipment are you using these days?

I've been thinking of buying a cd controller, but still want something with phono inputs. Seems those are mutually exclusive

shane, what dj equipment are you using these days?

I've been thinking of buying a cd controller, but still want something with phono inputs. Seems those are mutually exclusive
I'm not too well versed in in the controllers that some use, although most dj's I might play out with seem to use them. I keep it pretty simple. I use a Rane Empath mixer with 2 cdj 1000's, all running off the original Serato, which I've been using for over 10yrs. I'm thinking about upgrading Serato to a newer version and adding another mixer that is a better sounding Rane, even though I really like playing on the Empath. One of my friends has the Rane MP2015 and there is quite a big improvement in sound quality and he also has a 3 band isolator which he made from a kit sold from some guy in Europe. The isolator sounds really sweet and I must get one. While I like the rotary knobs for EQ, I prefer sliders for the crossfader and the channel volume controls.

Below is the setup we use when we run 4 decks - his stuff is on the left with the newer CDJ 2000's and my gear on on the right. The speakers are my KRK VXT's and I would really like some proper stands for them!
IMG_5098-X5.jpg

IMG_5099-X5.jpg

I'm not too well versed in in the controllers that some use, although most dj's I might play out with seem to use them. I keep it pretty simple. I use a Rane Empath mixer with 2 cdj 1000's, all running off the original Serato, which I've been using for over 10yrs. I'm thinking about upgrading Serato to a newer version and adding another mixer that is a better sounding Rane, even though I really like playing on the Empath. One of my friends has the Rane MP2015 and there is quite a big improvement in sound quality and he also has a 3 band isolator which he made from a kit sold from some guy in Europe. The isolator sounds really sweet and I must get one. While I like the rotary knobs for EQ, I prefer sliders for the crossfader and the channel volume controls.

Below is the setup we use when we run 4 decks - his stuff is on the left with the newer CDJ 2000's and my gear on on the right. The speakers are my KRK VXT's and I would really like some proper stands for them!
IMG_5098-X5.jpg

IMG_5099-X5.jpg
Random off-topic question: How do you like those appliances? Looks to be the same line we're considering for our new build.

And on-topic, I just upgraded the main home theater receiver to an Onkyo TX-RZ630 and so far really happy with it. Set-up was a cinch, and the auto-setup is better than the YPAO in the Yamaha it replaced (although surprisingly neither check polarity of the sub but Onkyo does check for deadspots........which doesn't help until you manually get sub phase correct).
App controller is excellent as is the intuitiveness of the receiver for source/material.

Random off-topic question: How do you like those appliances? Looks to be the same line we're considering for our new build.
We like them! Took a small while to get used to the minor nuances of the induction stove, but we do like it. We haven't used the lower baking tray/oven yet which is a neat feature. All the items matched what we were looking for in appliances at a decent price point. We had some really minor issues come up with the seals on the freezer and glass cooktop, which Kitchen Aid resolved very quickly and with no fuss.

Good luck @shanekingsley, that might be hard to find. Check www.canuckaudiomart.com.
Forgot to say thanks for this link - I've browsed around and while there's nothing specific to what I am looking for now, I would check it before buying brand new on other things I may want down the road.

So, i just bought a reel to reel player: Teac 3340s. Admittedly, it's a novelty but I always wanted one.

I got it for what i think is a reasonable price - but reel to reel players are an irrational market. the newer model ones cost multiple thousands dollars. It's pretty remarkable in its insanity.

...I'm looking for some inexpensive earphones. These caught my eye. Heavily discounted old stock basic earphones with mic and no controls. $20 reg $65.
I had to pull the trigger on that deal (google still has that page cached). They seem to be all gone. Too bad, it was a good deal and I was hoping to put the word out. But I wanted to break them in and use them for a while before giving a recommendation. They arrived quickly and after having broken them in and used them for >60hrs, count me impressed.

The Hifiman-re300a earbuds were on the small size compared to my other earbuds, so I changed to the included larger silicon covers; that made them fit excellent. They are the deepest bass earbuds I've owned. While not bass-head, I make full frequency response a high priority in all my audio systems. So great stuff. OTOH, I found the treble not extending to the high frequencies as much as I hoping for. Breaking them in helped some over time (>60 hrs+ now). However, it turns out I'm used to my excellent premium (and much more $) Sennheiser 650 headphones with top notch frequency response (and which are massive next to earbuds); these Hifiman-re300a earbuds turned out to be similar to my other earbuds in high end frequency response (did some comparison listening). So no real issues compared to other relatively inexpensive earbuds and great bass. The wiring is thick and the basic in-line mic and button is good. These are step up from my cheaper earbuds. And they are now my go-to for exercise and will get lots of use... like most every day.

Hifiman_re300a_earphones_2000x.jpg

There may be more NOS discounts out there.

Have a great weekend.

EDIT: they are very sensitive (efficient) as well. I'm using a lower volume setting to listen to music on these earbuds than any other earbuds or headphones I've ever used. Interesting, and a bit of a bonus (added battery life when on a battery device).

Last edited:
Can anyone recommend a Bluetooth earbud set that will stay on during burpees and obstacle courses?

Price does not matter but it needs to not blow up if I get thrown in water (not diving, just completely submerged for a bit)

Can anyone recommend a Bluetooth earbud set that will stay on during burpees and obstacle courses?

Price does not matter but it needs to not blow up if I get thrown in water (not diving, just completely submerged for a bit)
If you are okay with bone conduction, aftershokz is great as it lets you hear your surroundings (great for running outside to hear traffic trying to kill you) and some of them are water proof.
They also have one pair that is to be used in water for swimming and has onboard storage (so you dont use a phone with it)

Back
Top Bottom