The everything DJ thread | GTAMotorcycle.com

The everything DJ thread

spitRR

I was going to post a reply in the audiophile thread, but figured I didn't want to derail it any further as DJ equipment and audiophile stuff is quite different.

So post up your DJ related questions, thoughts and pics here!

Chaos asked:
"I've been thinking of buying a cd controller, but still want something with phono inputs. Seems those are mutually exclusive"

I'm not quite sure what you're asking here. Are you looking for a CD controller that has phono inputs? If so, that doesn't exist. However, if you're asking about all-in-one digital controllers with phono in then there are several options you can choose from. It then comes down to your budget and what features you want.

There is only one all-in-one controller that has CD playback capability that I know of; the Numark Mixdeck express, but it doesn't have phono in's. If you absolutely must have the ability to play both CD's and records then your best option (most expensive) would be 2 DJ CD players like the Pioneer CDJ-900 or CDJ-1000, a pair of turntables and a mixer with at least 4 channels.

Or, get a pioneer DJM Nexus series mixer.....(a used decent shape 900 nexus can be had for about a grand now) you can plug your wax into it, and use software to play, assigning decks in the software to channels on the mixer as the mixer is digital and acts as a sound card when connected via usb to the laptop. Serato, Traktor, and rekordbox see it as a sound device, and all can use it for the same reasons. You can have up to four simultaneous digital inputs to the mixer from the software, as well as two phono inputs.

So no, no controller, you're basically just tossing tracks from the software to a channel on the mixer, but you can mix them just as a controller would, obviously.......but no pitch fader and feel to a deck kind of thing, just sync and go.

If you want a controller that's nice for that added hands on feel with this setup you can get a NI X1 controller, for cue, start, fast forward, bla bla bla. They also have assignable buttons for when you get good. Lots of blinking lights naturally, they look cool, and that's what we like don't we? ;) You can get a cool little stand made for it too, that sits it right up next to the mixer that makes it look like its meant to be there.

IMO, owning that mixer, is better than any controller you can buy. Its the core of many many different possibilities of setups down the road.

Last edited:
A friend's son does some DJ work. Is this an activity that leads to being able to support a family in the GTA or just a bit of pocket money?

A friend's son does some DJ work. Is this an activity that leads to being able to support a family in the GTA or just a bit of pocket money?
It could be either, but like most things, a lot more of b than a. I know a few wedding/event DJ's that make a decent living but that role is much different (and in my mind, less fun) than a club dj. I know a few club DJ's that made decent money, but switched to conventional jobs when they had kids so they could spend time with their families.

That Deadmouse DJ guy lives not far from me, if the house and the Lambo are any indicator, some folks can make a living

The real deal behind those big DJ's like Deadmau5 is the ability to make tracks. Only the ones regularly banging out tracks are getting the spotlight and money. Deadmau5 actually wasn't a DJ at all until he started becoming famous for his music. Then he had to do gigs, and and learn how. lol

Essentially anyone can be a DJ, really all it is, is playing songs. The big stars in the game are MAKING the music too.

Not so much a Mau5 fan, but I do enjoy his alter ego (test pilot) as a techno dj/producer

Before I had a real job, I would make $1500/night for a corporate event and $500/wedding but only playing house music w/ a bit of disco/funk & rare groove. Smaller local club and afterhours parties would pay anywhere between $100/night to $500/night. A residency in a quality venue could be a consistent stream of coin.
DJ's that we used to hire in for the parties we threw 15-20 yrs ago were paid usually around $1-$2k for a set and we also paid for their flights, hotel and food. But as already said if you aren't producing then to make a living as a DJ is a hard life. If you are throwing parties and do them well, you can throw a mid-sized party every few months and not have to work the rest of the year. But the risk factor is high and the nitelife will make you look like Keith Richards. No thanks.

I am somewhat lusting after this mixer: Rane MP2015
1*CfLe0_uM3ezSEufAHL-wAA.jpeg

Before I had a real job, I would make $1500/night for a corporate event and $500/wedding but only playing house music w/ a bit of disco/funk & rare groove. Smaller local club and afterhours parties would pay anywhere between $100/night to $500/night. A residency in a quality venue could be a consistent stream of coin.
DJ's that we used to hire in for the parties we threw 15-20 yrs ago were paid usually around $1-$2k for a set and we also paid for their flights, hotel and food. But as already said if you aren't producing then to make a living as a DJ is a hard life. If you are throwing parties and do them well, you can throw a mid-sized party every few months and not have to work the rest of the year. But the risk factor is high and the nitelife will make you look like Keith Richards. No thanks.

I am somewhat lusting after this mixer: Rane MP2015
1*CfLe0_uM3ezSEufAHL-wAA.jpeg

I came up with some clever jokes recently and thought about the comedy business, but im assuming its even harder to make a living at than DJing/producing

Dj'ing in the club scene can be a lot of work......It means a lot of socializing, and going to lots of parties and events.....and being a social media whore. Because who wants to hire a DJ no one knows, and who wants to go to a party where no one knows the DJ?

You need to build a following, or you're no one. A little bit of charm and personality goes a long way too. People gotta like you!

I remember spending many YEARS, playing sh*ty small venues no one came to, on midweek nights while working my full time job early the next day, putting the time and effort into the scene, getting to know the various patrons of the different pockets of the house music scene in town, before even getting invited to open at a reputable venue on a weekend, and still, no one is there to see you when the doors open at the club as the crowd doesn't really start filling in until well after you've played, except for your ten friends who came to support you and the side chick booth bunny lol.

sucking d*cks of promotors you dislike, watching what you say at all times, being supportive of fellow artists you dislike, it can be a lot of bullsh*t. But it's no different than any other industry, keep your nose clean, work hard, and time will pay off if you keep at it with a positive attitude. Because unlike most other industries out there, this one is based on good vibes, can you bring it? Selling drinks and filling dance floors is the name of the game.

My chance came and gone real fast.....I was young and stupid, but I finally had an "in" to a promising start in the scene. Had a few sweet reputable gigs opening for established artists, then I mistakenly opened my mouth while outside smoking at a club one night, and talked about someone which was overheard by someone else who didn't like what I said. Good thing I didn't quit my day job :p

Nearly 15 years later, I still spin regularly, at home, or with friends, or at house parties etc....its a hobby I'm still passionate about and I still follow the scene and keep up to date with music and gear. Im uploading mixes regularly, and even submitted sets to various internet radio shows and get a little play time that way. It's FUN, and it's better than watching TV. Keeps me busy in the off season for sure.

If anyone wants a well taken care of set of CDJ 2000's, I have a pair Im looking to move. I want to upgrade.

IMG_0693.jpeg

Last edited:
I came up with some clever jokes recently and thought about the comedy business, but im assuming its even harder to make a living at than DJing/producing
I love jokes
I wanna hear them!

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

I love jokes
I wanna hear them!

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

I thought about becoming a christian, so I went to church, and everything was going well until they came around with the plate asking for donations, then I realized I was really a jew all along

Dj'ing in the club scene can be a lot of work......It means a lot of socializing, and going to lots of parties and events.....and being a social media whore. Because who wants to hire a DJ no one knows, and who wants to go to a party where no one knows the DJ?
Most people don't care who the DJ is as long as the drinks are flowing and music is being played. Besides that at almost every club venue in Toronto, it is literally the same songs on repeat every night. Play anything new, different etc. and people forget how to dance or party.

Most people don't care who the DJ is as long as the drinks are flowing and music is being played. Besides that at almost every club venue in Toronto, it is literally the same songs on repeat every night. Play anything new, different etc. and people forget how to dance or party.

General clubbing sure, but not in an underground scene. Which is where the desire to become a name and develop a sound and brand will happen. This is where all the big DJ's playing ibiza summers come from, the only dj's that really matter. Im sure its the same in hip hop and other genres, music people know whos playing, and fill clubs accordingly. Especially the underground scene where the music keeps playing long after the drinks have been stopped being served. Every club I went to in spain closed at 7 am, everyone knew who was playing. Thousands of people each night. That to me is the DJ dream.

I havent been clubbing in Toronto in a LONG time, I was just trying to maybe paint a picture of one aspect of why someone would want to be a certain kind of DJ, and how to get there.

Last edited:
Ive never played a rotary, I remember before Pioneer DJM's were the standard, these were in all the big club booths (or something similar)
I owned the poor dj's rotary for a long time - the Vestax PMC-25. It was like a hybrid between rotary and sliders with these awesome little kill sliders for the EQ's as well. I still have one as a back up mixer just in case...
s-l1600.jpg

I've played on the Rane MP2016 a fair bit and like it and the spacing between the knobs which is pretty important if you are using them a lot. The sound is amazing and for house, disco and techno it's an incredible mixer. If you typically prefer using faders and sliders a lot, using a rotary takes a moment to get used to, but then it feels really natural.
This is Rane MP2016 and has been a mixer of choice in a bunch of spots - just needs a sold isolator for what I like to do, but the frequency separation on this EQ is still really good and it's about $2k cheaper than the MP2015!

mftquoenlornjj1idv13.jpg

Thats really cool Shane! So is that MP2015 Fully digital?

I love my digital mixer, but the nexus 900 lacks luster when playing vinyl. Something my friends Xone 92 does wonderfully.

EDIT:

These things would be good for those who like to really blend and mash multiple channels together for lengthy periods of time in a set............with precision and artistry. Id love to play with one.

Last edited:
I've been DJ'ing for about as long as I've been riding - just over 30 years, and kept it as a hobby for the most part. However in that time I had a residency at a local bar, been a guest DJ on 89.5 CHRY and even got my name on a couple CD's for some DJ work. I even ended up playing on a float for Carribanna back in 2008 which was an absolute blast!

I do prefer to keep it as a hobby though, as I can't stand the business side to it. Once money gets involved it all goes to sh*t as does my enjoyment. You need a thick skin for this as a business.

I owned the poor dj's rotary for a long time - the Vestax PMC-25. It was like a hybrid between rotary and sliders with these awesome little kill sliders for the EQ's as well. I still have one as a back up mixer just in case...
s-l1600.jpg

I've played on the Rane MP2016 a fair bit and like it and the spacing between the knobs which is pretty important if you are using them a lot. The sound is amazing and for house, disco and techno it's an incredible mixer. If you typically prefer using faders and sliders a lot, using a rotary takes a moment to get used to, but then it feels really natural.
This is Rane MP2016 and has been a mixer of choice in a bunch of spots - just needs a sold isolator for what I like to do, but the frequency separation on this EQ is still really good and it's about $2k cheaper than the MP2015!

mftquoenlornjj1idv13.jpg

I modified my Vestax PMC 37 into a rotary a few years ago and never went back to sliders. It does feel a little awkward mixing Hip-Hop and RnB on it though, but not too bad.

I'd love to have a go on that 2016 or even a Urei or Bozak. Apparently they sound amazing. The 19" format isn't my thing though as it doesn't suit my mixing style. I have an old Numark DM1775 PPD that I use as a back-up and even though it sounds great and the lack of channel EQ's gives me a challenge, I can't wait to get back on my 12" Vestax.

Back
Top Bottom