The Allure of Motorcycle Camping | GTAMotorcycle.com

The Allure of Motorcycle Camping

credit wheels.ca
Thanks that was a good read and motivates me to do that again next year.

I remember my first time moto camping and the one thing that stuck out to me is how many random people at the campsites will come up to you and just strike up a conversation. In a motel, that type of spontaneous interaction doesn't happen that much at all.

Nice.

I enjoy motorcycle camping, but we did it primarily as a way to save money. Motel fees add up the longer you spend time on the road and putting up a tent and taking it down everyday for months becomes a bit tedious. Especially when you're doing it in the rain or snow.

The best camp sites were situated somewhere with a great view.

DSC_0510-L.jpg

DSC_0558-L.jpg

Nice.

I enjoy motorcycle camping, but we did it primarily as a way to save money. Motel fees add up the longer you spend time on the road and putting up a tent and taking it down everyday for months becomes a bit tedious. Especially when you're doing it in the rain or snow.

The best camp sites were situated somewhere with a great view.

DSC_0510-L.jpg

DSC_0558-L.jpg
That's an awesome view!
It's so great when you arrive at a place when it's dark out and pitch your tent. And when you wake up the morning you pop your head out and get to take in the killer view you didn't even know was there.

If you want to skip the motel and camp ground cost. maybe not so secret spot. Cedar Hill Park just East of Wiarton on Grey Rd 1.
There is an out house and shelter (with roof with picnic tables). There are little path ways that lead to the water. As I remember beach area is pebble.

It's been years since we were last there, but Cape Croker outside Wiarton is really nice with awesome views of the escarpment.

Camping in a park with RVs (and rules)? Where's the fun in that?
That far north there is as much free camping as you want. Old logging roads mean lots of free fire wood and you can make as much noise as you want (we think it helps keep bears away).
Also who camps with an alarm clock?

I do!
I'll often set my phone alarm to wake me up, so I can eat breakfast nice and early and then get out riding to an awesome point to see the sunrise.

That far north there is as much free camping as you want. Old logging roads mean lots of free fire wood and you can make as much noise as you want (we think it helps keep bears away).
I m careful not to attract hungry bears to my food, but they are not interested in you at all. I've seen very large black bears wait patiently in the bush for hours -- waiting till humans leave before exploring their garbage. Every black bear I've see has darted off as soon as it sees me.

Wolves on the other hand... they scare the **** out of me. I slowed down to watch wolves at the side of the road near Foleyet this summer, - they don't dart when they see you. I saw one walking 100' up the road, I stopped and she stopped. About 3 minutes later 2 more wandered out of the bush and joined her -- my only thought was how would they behave if I was broken down solo on my bike? I might have a slim chance against one wolf, but not 3.

I m careful not to attract hungry bears to my food, but they are not interested in you at all. I've seen very large black bears wait patiently in the bush for hours -- waiting till humans leave before exploring their garbage. Every black bear I've see has darted off as soon as it sees me.

Wolves on the other hand... they scare the **** out of me. I slowed down to watch wolves at the side of the road near Foleyet this summer, - they don't dart when they see you. I saw one walking 100' up the road, I stopped and she stopped. About 3 minutes later 2 more wandered out of the bush and joined her -- my only thought was how would they behave if I was broken down solo on my bike? I might have a slim chance against one wolf, but not 3.

Somewhere between Wawa and Winnipeg ( I don't remember where) I pulled off along the Hwy at one of the snowplough turnaround spots to answer the call of nature. I saw a wolf not too far in the distance.

I thought to myself "I wonder if the wolf sees a deer nearby"; It was at that moment I realized I'm probably the deer.

I think that says more about you than anything else :p and thats a good thing hehe

And yeah the pack mentality makes them ballsier. We see that same behaviour in humans too eh!?

I'd love to go motocamping for maybe overnight stays with my daughter when she's old enough. I feel it would be quite the experience!

I do!
I'll often set my phone alarm to wake me up, so I can eat breakfast nice and early and then get out riding to an awesome point to see the sunrise.
No need. Either a buddy who shall remain nameless or the call of nature has me up early.

bg,f8f8f8-flat,750x,075,f-pad,750x1000,f8f8f8.u4.jpg

Waking up to an alarm for work and I hate life. When I’m at a cottage, cabin, or camping I can get 2hrs sleep and will wake up at dawn without an alarm ready for the day’s adventures. Go figure.

I had so much fun reading this thread and the article that you shared.
Imagine the fun of actually getting out there. Nothing beats pops and bench racing around a fire after a day in the saddle.

Years ago encountered a coyote when trail riding and that I mistook for a wolf. Made a quick u-turn and got out of there. Found out later from a ranger that it was a coyote as they will run away, not so much for hungry wolves. I'm no chicken exactly, when I stealth camp, I place the food in a bag and tie it 10 feet off the ground in a tree to avoid encounters of a dangerous kind. Been tempted to ride to Alaska solo but wolves, grizzlies, and such, even mosquitos, would make the journey more worrysome than enjoyable. I'll sit this one out!

Back
Top Bottom