The $100 Ninja | Page 8 | GTAMotorcycle.com

The $100 Ninja

Dilligaf was very thorough in explaining every quirk the bike has/had and every mod he's done, I think he did give a f. The Kerker predates him, but he did put 175 out of the ~200k the bike has on the odometer.

Holes in the airbox, you say. I thought the higher-flow foam filter would suffice.

Will google that ish.

He had 200,000 kms on that bike?

Wow he really rode that bike

All highway mileage. He claims to have ridden it "harder than a Hamilton crack ho", but when I went to pick it up, he was like:

Him - It'll do a buck fifty no problem.
Me - Miles per hour?
Him - Kilometers.
Me - Dude.
Him - What?
Me - It'll probably do two fifty.
Him - Oh, well.

I'd much rather buy a high-mileage bike than a garage queen. High-kms bike has proven it could make it there.

I know a guy who's only ever bought two bikes in his life, two new Harleys of the same model (I forget which one), an '87 with 700k on the clock and a 2005 with 300k.

Highway riding at the speed limit seems pretty inconsequential.

There's nothing wrong with a 200k bike. I was just making an observation because I've seen the bike in person & met the previous owner

All good!

Put the carbs back in - throttle response is MUCH better under mild trottle, but I think one notch richer on the needle will make it perfect. It's running really nicely!

[video=youtube;6TBnjXZlf5I]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TBnjXZlf5I&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Last edited:
Front fender on - I probably should've trimmed the rear a little bit, but it already looks a ton better than stock.

1184475f0e8868ef22ff115ee898967e.jpg

42a2775452addf209f6447ab42606c8e.jpg

b006b94125fba744651b52122d3d79ec.jpg

It's starting to look like a motorcycle.

Hog out? Speak to me like I don't speak English.

Should I do anything to the airbox? I installed a new Uni foam filter and that had a positive effect on throttle response. Old filter was gross.

The carbs have fairly long rubber velocity stacks inside the airbox. Not sure why I'm mentioning this. It's clearly a stock feature.

Replacing a dirty air filter with a new clean one is obviously A Good Thing, but otherwise, most late model bikes have a fair bit of engineering in the design of the airbox, and won't benefit from modifications that aren't carefully engineered. You need those velocity stacks - if you don't have them, it will kill your mid-range. At best, tampering with airboxes MIGHT add torque in one RPM range but subtract it elsewhere.

Thanks Brian. I'm not going to mess with it - really happy with how the bike is running right now. (Mind you, I have yet to ride it above 50km/h for any length of time.) The difference in power between it and the FJ feels greater than it is on paper (98 vs. 72 at the crank). I wonder how many horses the bigger jets and aftermarket exhaust are adding to the bottom line.

ALL late model sport bikes have a fair bit of engineering in the design of the air box to meet certain design parameters. Did it come with a snorkel and mandated lean jetting? Are there baffles inside the box? Has the exhaust been tampered with? Enthusiasts want to know. Every owners forum of every bike I've ever owned since the advent of the personal computer has at least a rudimentary knowledge vault concerning intake mods. Not trying to start any trouble Mr.

^ Yes, it's true. You have to take what's stated in forums (including this one!) with skepticism, but once in a while you will find something that really is dyno-validated. And having said that ... the airbox on my race bike (FZR400) is stock, including the internal velocity stacks and the snorkel, because it's well known that using individual filters with careful jetting miiiiiiight gain one measly horsepower way up on top but the big loss in midrange and driveability isn't worth it.

There certainly are cases in which the stock air intake system has been strangled in order to comply with noise regulations, but nothing named ZX6 ever came that way from the factory.

Two things I think I know for sure: Do not remove the velocity stacks. Do not use individual pod filters. I can't back it up tho.

Haa haa, it is odd to see your old bike fondled by somebody else. Sort of like your ex-wife telling someone new all your sins. :eek:
Glad you're giving it the new life it needed, they're still a fun comfy bike. And I miss the helmet lock.
I wasn't too keen on the Shinko's, the rear snaps out a lot quicker than a Diablo or Pilot and surprised me on a few onramps. Plus those Raven's are hella stiff, could be why you've got that kink in the bead and can't sort it.

It already had a Dynojet Stage 1 kit in it. :D
The lean needles were to smooth out a midrange dead spot when the mains came on. It was never cold blooded for me, check to make sure the choke cable isn't sticking. Even on single digit temp days it never took more than 30secs to warm up.

The Kerker 4-1 flows a hella more air than the stock 4-1-2 (it's the stainless full system for "off road use only") It does sound great, but the packing is probably due for replacement. Okay the packing is DEFINITELY due for replacement. Simple job of drilling out three rivets, rewrap with new fiberglass matt, replace three rivets. When the packing is fresh it's a lot less obnoxious around town and good for atleast 50k :D

The airbox I never monkeyed with. I used to own an RZ500 with flatslides & handmade pipe and was permanently scarred for life tuning that just right.
Well except for a Uni filter. You might want to change that. :D

And hey, not all the bodge jobs were mine, there was some serious PO sins when I first got it (i.e. the rattle can paint I never did replace, I just gave it a quick clear coat so it wouldn't run when I spilled gas on the tank). Okay the duct tape was mine. And the hose clamps & zip ties holding the busted bird cage on after my last trip dodging Montreal pot holes.

What else...the coils came from an early ZX7, but they're the same part. Same with the brake calipers. The rectifier is off an FZR from a bike shop in Tennesee. The throttle cables were for an ATV or Skidoo, but they were the only ones that fit that the Canadian Tire in Burks Falls had in stock...oh and the brake caliper mounting bolts has Teflon plumbers tape on them (I had Loctite'd them when I changed the pads, but 20k after a bolt fell out around Sturgeon's Falls. The Home Hardware there didn't have any Loctite so I made do...checked the torque on them every now & then and they didn't move, so I just left them...um yeah).

Brake lines definitely need replaced. They were on the list.

Didn't I give you the Hayne's manual with the bike? **** sorry. I've still got it around here somewhere then, let me know if you want it.

Oh yeah the thermostat won't kick the rad fan on. The fan still works and I was planning to bypass it with an on/off switch...but yeah, it was on the list.
The bike will overheat in summer city traffic without the radiator fan, I just rode faster. Or stopped for a smoke break.

It was only fed Motul 5100, that's long due for a change. The clutch preferred Motul, and it smells nice.
The plates might be sticking, but that's the 2nd set of OEM clutch plates and there should be plenty of life left in them. Though a few might be sticking from the lack of love I was showing her.
It's not that hard a job to replace.

If it won't start at all, headlight bulb. Or the plug has vibrated loose from the CDI box under the seat. If the starter engages but won't start, probably the side stand cut off switch that was "bypassed" (as in ripped out of toasted switch and wrapped in electrical tape). I kept meaning to solder the wires and make a cleaner bypass...but yeah, it was on the list.

Haa haa anything else, just PM me :D

Over on ADVRider there was another ZX6D ghetto rat rod job on the cheap, he ended up swapping in the front end from a ZX7 that came out looking pretty good for a job on the cheap.

20140715_172434.jpg

http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/kawasaki-zx6d-zzr600d-build-thread.759626/

Good luck, I just ran out of motivation to keep her on the road and show her the love she needed. Really is a great all-round bike, glad she found a home.

And for the record...she may or may not have been ridden above 150km/h on a fairly regular basis :p

Haa haa, it is odd to see your old bike fondled by somebody else. Sort of like your ex-wife telling someone new all your sins. :eek:
Glad you're giving it the new life it needed, they're still a fun comfy bike. And I miss the helmet lock.
I wasn't too keen on the Shinko's, the rear snaps out a lot quicker than a Diablo or Pilot and surprised me on a few onramps. Plus those Raven's are hella stiff, could be why you've got that kink in the bead and can't sort it.

The lean needles were to smooth out a midrange dead spot when the mains came on. It was never cold blooded for me, check to make sure the choke cable isn't sticking. Even on single digit temp days it never took more than 30secs to warm up.

The Kerker 4-1 flows a hella more air than the stock 4-1-2 (it's the stainless full system for "off road use only") It does sound great, but the packing is probably due for replacement. Okay the packing is DEFINITELY due for replacement. Simple job of drilling out three rivets, rewrap with new fiberglass matt, replace three rivets. When the packing is fresh it's a lot less obnoxious around town and good for atleast 50k :D

The airbox I never monkeyed with. I used to own an RZ500 with flatslides & handmade pipe and was permanently scarred for life tuning that just right.

And hey, not all the bodge jobs were mine, there was some serious PO sins when I first got it (i.e. the rattle can paint I never did replace, I just gave it a quick clear coat so it wouldn't run when I spilled gas on the tank). Okay the duct tape was mine. And the hose clamps & zip ties holding the busted bird cage on after my last trip dodging Montreal pot holes.

What else...the coils came from an early ZX7, but they're the same part. Same with the brake calipers. The rectifier is off an FZR from a bike shop in Tennesee. The throttle cables were for an ATV or Skidoo, but they were the only ones that fit that the Canadian Tire in Burks Falls had in stock...oh and the brake caliper mounting bolts has Teflon plumbers tape on them (I had Loctite'd them when I changed the pads, but 20k after a bolt fell out around Sturgeon's Falls. The Home Hardware there didn't have any Loctite so I made do...checked the torque on them every now & then and they didn't move, so I just left them...um yeah).

Didn't I give you the Hayne's manual with the bike? **** sorry. I've still got it around here somewhere then, let me know if you want it.

Oh yeah the thermostat won't kick the rad fan on. The fan still works and I was planning to bypass it with an on/off switch...but yeah, it was on the list.
The bike will overheat in summer city traffic without the radiator fan, I just rode faster. Or stopped for a smoke break.

It was only fed Motul 5100, that's long due for a change. The clutch preferred Motul, and it smells nice.
The plates might be sticking, but that's the 2nd set of OEM clutch plates and there should be plenty of life left in them. Though a few might be sticking from the lack of love I was showing her.

If it won't start at all, headlight bulb. Or the plug has vibrated loose from the CDI box under the seat. If the starter engages but won't start, probably the side stand cut off switch that was "bypassed" (as in ripped out of toasted switch and wrapped in electrical tape). I kept meaning to solder the wires and make a cleaner bypass...but yeah, it was on the list.

Over on ADVRider there was another ZX6D ghetto rat rod job on the cheap, he ended up swapping in the front end from a ZX7 that came out looking pretty good for a job on the cheap.

20140715_172434.jpg

http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/kawasaki-zx6d-zzr600d-build-thread.759626/

Good luck, I just ran out of motivation to keep her on the road and show her the love she needed. Really is a great all-round bike, glad she found a home.

And for the record...she may or may not have been ridden above 150km/h on a fairly regular basis :p

Thanks for chiming in, brah! So that's why I couldn't reuse the throttle cables with the new handlebar! No biggie, it needed new ones anyway.

I replaced the air filter with another Uni, it helped with a dead spot at like 1/8 throttle.

I'm ever so close to putting it back on the road. I just got some "true metallic" aluminum plasti dip to hide the scratches along the frame, then I just need to finalize the wiring for the instrument cluster and find a better way to secure the new taillight. Will assess the rad fan too, I believe it just needs to be connected.

Can't wait to go for a proper rip on her. I'll let you watch the footage if you're into that sort of thing.

Last edited:
^^^ looks like you're screwed

Sent from my custom purple Joe Bass mobile device using Tapatalk

20140715_172434.jpg

Are you done riding or are you getting a next one?

Back
Top Bottom