T33 over Waterloo | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

T33 over Waterloo

As much as i love aircraft of all types, i have never been a fan of airshows. Ancient fighter jets on a too tight budget is a recipe for trouble.
Edit: Hope the pilot is ok. Snowbirds have had 8 fatalities over the many years. Imho it's time to put the program to sleep.

I don't need people to risk their lives to entertain me.

It costs a couple million to train a military jet pilot. maybe the CDN forces should take better care of assests like that. Time to park the museum pieces.
Well, technically they lost a PR employee (I haven't seen anything that says she was a military pilot).

I do agree though that this should be remembered as the farewell tour for the snowbirds. At $750,000,000+ for a new fleet, plus all of the recurring maintenance, training, operating and staffing costs, it seems like a huge expense that can be avoided with almost no negative effect on the country. Although that also sounds exactly like the kind of program JT throws money at as they make great PR photos.

Watching the video. There should have been three explosive charges, the canopy and the two election seats. I only saw two. An eyewitness on the scene said the female that died was in the aircraft. If the investigation reveals a fault seat, then that should ground the Tudor fleet.

Watching the video. There should have been three explosive charges, the canopy and the two election seats. I only saw two. An eyewitness on the scene said the female that died was in the aircraft. If the investigation reveals a fault seat, then that should ground the Tudor fleet.
At least a few things had gone seriously wrong before they even got to that point. If the plane had gone straight or right it would have ended up in the river on in the ponds at the plant. The plane went left and ended up in a residential neighbourhood. Obviously the pilot is beyond well trained and I expect they would have gotten it away from the houses if they could.

My understanding is both seats are connected and its one lever blows both seats, if one goes ahead of the other the gases from the ejection would fry the other so they are linked, hence canopy blow then just one blow/ both seats.
If you saw in the video where they went into a climb as best they could with forard momentum , supposedly they try to get hieght before getting out.

they lost a PR lady, the pilot is pretty badly banged up. It's sad, in the last 20 yrs more CDN airforce have been lost in training and displays than in combat roles.

Hopefully somebody can make the call to get them some planes that aren't over 50 years old. Or are they waiting to crash all of the tutors before they do that?

Hopefully somebody can make the call to get them some planes that aren't over 50 years old. Or are they waiting to crash all of the tutors before they do that?
The number's far too big. Even JT has trouble saying that this is an effective use of a billion dollars. I agree they shouldnt be flying tutors in close formation. I disagree they need new planes.

We don't have to buy a billion dollars worth of shiny brand new metal. Something a little more recent would be good though. And if he can throw almost that much money at buying a UN seat for himself, then it's tough to argue against this one.

The snowbirds serve a purpose. They don't just entertain, but also inspire youth to take an interest in the air force, and flight in general. That's their job, and they do it well. What has the WHO done for anybody, besides spread disinformation that allowed a pandemic to spread like a wildfire?

We don't have to buy a billion dollars worth of shiny brand new metal. Something a little more recent would be good though. And if he can throw almost that much money at buying a UN seat for himself, then it's tough to argue against this one.
Justifying an expense based on the folly of an existing commitment is crazy talk. As a starting point, publish the numbers so we have an idea what it costs for them to show up amd fly for 30 minutes. I have a suspicion it will be close to $10,000,000. They're cool but I would rather my kids have a viable country not under crushing debt than to watch formation flying every decade or so.

I think the snowbirds are part of the Canadian culture just as the Blue Angels are part of the Americana Culture.

They don't have a quantitative purpose per se, but I think that they are here to stay. Regardless of what the program costs.

The program may be put on the shelf for a certain period of time to tweak it. Maybe find better and newer planes or provide better training etc. But it will be back and putting on shows across the country or internationally.

Except for the 8 times that they didn't work so well.
You mean the 9 times, that the scrap we provided to them, fell from the sky

The snowbirds serve a purpose. They don't just entertain, but also inspire youth to take an interest in the air force, and flight in general. That's their job, and they do it well.

Leave it for museums, the cadets, or organizations like Vintage Wings of Canada. I have an aerospace engineering background and I haven't met anyone who truly cared about the Snowbirds and had it play a role in their interest in aviation

we are not a bunch of flag waving nuts that are okay with 10% of GDP going to the military
moth ball those old trainers and cancel the Snowbirds program

Financially that is the smart thing to do.
But I am thinking that they will find a way to spin in a way to make us believe that they are needed.

This isnt 'scrap falling from the sky' , the maintenece program, mechanics fly with the planes from show to show, the program of replacing engines ect is huge. Really huge, but if you attend any events where 50-70yr old machines are pushed to the limits, things come apart.
It will take more than a few dead fliers to kill this program.

waiting for some media twit to report, 'she died doing what she loved' , like that ever made a difference.

Once again, if we're to talk about axing it due to cost vs return, then it isn't crazy talk to make comparisons, it's entirely relevant. We just devoted almost a billion dollars to something that provides no benefit at all. We spent $595m last year to buy media support for a political campaign.

Also, we can say the maintenance is top notch all we want, and I'm sure they try their best to keep the planes in shape, however the many mechanical failures are proving it isn't good enough when an air frame reaches this age.

Back
Top Bottom