Support Local!! | GTAMotorcycle.com

Support Local!!

GTAM

Staff member
Dealer/Vendor
Site Supporter
Hey everyone

Crazy times out there. This is going to hit the economy pretty hard and we'd just like to remind everyone how important it is to support your local shops. Not just bike shops either but any local mom and pop shops and restaurants.

It might be a good idea to stay off your motorcycle for a bit. Spring is when a lot of accidents happen and the hospitals don;t need anymore than they already have.

A lot of our vendors are still open for online shopping.....Support those who support the sport!!

A list of our Sponsors. Please Support them!

Going to be doing some takeout, from places around here, that I'd like to stay in business.

Dougie suspended any eviction notices, so landlords can't kick them out. I would just stop paying bills until you open up again. Once this is over the economy will boomerang.

Dougie suspended any eviction notices, so landlords can't kick them out. I would just stop paying bills until you open up again. Once this is over the economy will boomerang.
Everyone paints landlords as big mean monsters. Again, this half-suspension of commerce is going to cause hell. Are commercial mortgages allowed to defer payments too? Missing out on a few months of commercial rent could easily force a landlord to liquidate to stay solvent. Does the eviction notice suspension apply to commercial properties or just residential?

There also needs to be the other side of this coin. Tenants that were still employed but chose not to pay rent during this because they know they cannot be evicted should be automatically turfed when the tribunal opens up again. Some people are just *&#holes and will exploit any loophole. Even if landlords defer mortgage payments, interest on the mortgage can easily be thousands a month. Afaik, interest suspension is being assessed on a case by case basis. I can't see the bank giving a flying *&^* about somebody with a rental property.

Spring motorcycle show is officially cancelled!

After discussions with the International Centre and in compliance with the Ontario Government’s Order prohibiting large public gatherings due to COVID-19 (Coronavirus) pandemic, the 2020 Spring Motorcycle Show scheduled for April 4 & 5 is now cancelled.

The health and well-being of our staff, volunteers, exhibitors and our loyal attending audience is of utmost importance.We everyone stays well and we look forward to when we can get together again to share our love of Motorcycling.

Those who have purchased advance tickets will be notified by email regarding refunds.

Show Management will contact exhibitors shortly with further information.

Thank you for your understanding and support.

It appears this has been clarified as residential tenants. Commercial tenants are also a huge issue and I don't think that has been addressed yet.

Wish utilities would "disappear" for 3 months not "postponed"

Be kind and just let it disappear

Everyone paints landlords as big mean monsters. Again, this half-suspension of commerce is going to cause hell. Are commercial mortgages allowed to defer payments too? Missing out on a few months of commercial rent could easily force a landlord to liquidate to stay solvent. Does the eviction notice suspension apply to commercial properties or just residential?

There also needs to be the other side of this coin. Tenants that were still employed but chose not to pay rent during this because they know they cannot be evicted should be automatically turfed when the tribunal opens up again. Some people are just *&#holes and will exploit any loophole. Even if landlords defer mortgage payments, interest on the mortgage can easily be thousands a month. Afaik, interest suspension is being assessed on a case by case basis. I can't see the bank giving a flying *&^* about somebody with a rental property.

Who's painting landlords as monsters? I pointed out the FACT that evictions are suspended. Banks are also allowing people to defer mortgages to 6 months *if* they're seriously effected by the Chinavirus downturn. How they define that is unclear, but nobody is trying to turn people into villains here.

It appears this has been clarified as residential tenants. Commercial tenants are also a huge issue and I don't think that has been addressed yet.

I can't see a guy like Ford sitting back and allowing perfectly legitimate businesses to close up because they missed three or four months rent due to a closure. I can't see landlords being stupid enough not to understand either, and if the banks want to foreclose on any landlords because of all this they can look forward to 2008 all over again. Give people a bit of credit, they're not all that stupid.

I can't see a guy like Ford sitting back and allowing perfectly legitimate businesses to close up because they missed three or four months rent due to a closure. I can't see landlords being stupid enough not to understand either, and if the banks want to foreclose on any landlords because of all this they can look forward to 2008 all over again. Give people a bit of credit, they're not all that stupid.
The thing is that some landlords might not be in the best financial shape either. This downturn could put them under.

The thing is that some landlords might not be in the best financial shape either. This downturn could put them under.

Hopefully the community will rally behind those with marginal businesses and keep them afloat. That's what this thread is about right? Certainly there are going to be casualties, but that's part of why this is a national and international disaster. Just look at Alberta, this is like the 1930s dustbowl for them.

[/QUOTE

Not trying to take sides but some landlords may have over levered themselves in the previously hot market and are counting on max rent. Punish them for pushing profit or not?

As we move through this COVID-19 situation we're going to be disrupted for many months and the economy is going to take years to recover. Discretionary spending, and most North American motorcycling expense be it a new or used bike, service or parts is discretionary, will be one of the first things to go as riders deal with individual or family job losses and health issues. If we are successful in "flattening the curve", and lets hope we are or the healthcare system may be overwhelmed, some models I've seen run self isolation and social distancing into September.

I think it will take years for the industry to recover from this and many dealers and shops will go belly up, which is bad news for people in Ontario as the number of shops has been declining for years.

I'm gonna ride around the town so I don't go crazy. Even if it's around the block 5 times ? and buy from local shops online of course

Buying tires locally is over $100 more expensive than online. :( They get offended at the mere thought of matching prices, that is a big local tax to pay

Besides tires, I do buy parts locally whenever possible, and oil and other fluids/lubes

Buying tires locally is over $100 more expensive than online. :( They get offended at the mere thought of matching prices, that is a big local tax to pay

Besides tires, I do buy parts locally whenever possible, and oil and other fluids/lubes
I've never experienced that. My tire purchases over the last ten years have been as cheap as, or cheaper, than online. Specifically referring to GP Bikes over Fortnine and Pete's.

My local Honda dealership is close to Pete's on price if you ask. GP is about 300 km for me.

Back
Top Bottom