Summer Solstice Route - Muskoka, Algonquin, Calabogie | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Summer Solstice Route - Muskoka, Algonquin, Calabogie

Before I go I will try to see if I can have a washroom stop around the 1/3 mark and another around the 2/3 mark. Will update with anything I find out before or during the ride.

I only cut the best part of the 518 out, because I will save it for later in the season for a proper Muskoka ride. I'm also waiting to find out just how bad it is after the 'road improvements' from a year or so ago.

To add an extra layer of punishment, I thought about riding with the shorty screen only.
518 was pretty bad a week ago, to the point that I decided to skip it moving forward untill I'll hear it was repaired. It's broken badly particularly on the tighter turns :(

518 was pretty bad a week ago, to the point that I decided to skip it moving forward untill I'll hear it was repaired. It's broken badly particularly on the tighter turns :(
Thanks for the heads up. Hopefully it's smooth like glass when it's done.

sent a PM ...at least tag along until I can't go further and head home. Keep me posted thanks
Looks like a good run
sent a PM ...at least tag along until I can't go further and head home. Keep me posted thanks
It’s a bit long for me. If I cut the SubCalabogie circle route east of Winlo I could probably do it. Any one in for an abridged version?

When's this ride? I have thursday off work, was gonna go to the calabogie area, haven't ridden there yet this year. Hwy 509, etc

Saturday June 20
But @shanekingsley might do it on Friday instead.

It’s a bit long for me. If I cut the SubCalabogie circle route east of Winlo I could probably do it. Any one in for an abridged version?
what's the distance on that ?
not sure where Winlo is ??

- I'd be happy with a 6-700 km portion of Shanes marathon which would be a good test of my arm.

I'm still going to try for Pickle Lake perhaps the Thursday before the long weekend. the 26th for 6 days

- I'd be happy with a 6-700 km portion of Shanes marathon which would be a good test of my arm.

@MacDoc
I will be doing the trip with Shane but not the full thing.
I am thinking something along the 800kms range. A friend of mine is also coming along and it might turn into a shorter ride.
We will see how things go as we ride.

Maybe something like this.
1592359988516.png

Ride is on Saturday for sure now - weather looks to be awesome for a day of riding and fingers crossed the heat wave doesn't bring thunderstorms.

Macdoc, if you want to join then let me know and you can cut out when you feel like it. Early start though!

My VStrom can get 500km/tank when riding it very gentle and I typically get around 350/km tank. On longer rides I try to find gas around 250km to get in a quick stop / stretch every 2-3 hrs. I figure I will bring trail mix or Clif bars for breaks and eat a 6" Subway for lunch and save the other 6" for dinner. No sit down meals, but eat at scenic spots along the way (likely Algonquin Park for lunch and the Minden Wild Water Preserve for dinner). I won't bring any luggage but a small tank bag to keep my food.

I just put on a really nice Corbin seat as well as an Elka shock - my last ride of 800km was super comfortable. This route doesn't have too many straight roads (maybe around 250kms worth), so with 1000km of curvy roads it should lend itself to not feeling sore as well.
Was just looking at Corbin seats for my 2018 Vstrom 650 - do you mind me asking which seat you went with

Was just looking at Corbin seats for my 2018 Vstrom 650 - do you mind me asking which seat you went with
First off - nice bike.
In the past, I've always had the harder Corbin's and always been really happy with them on a variety of bikes. I've always managed to find them as newer used seats for around $200-$300. I think I've always had the ones called the dual canyon, but it seems there are some differences in finish between them. The one I just put on has some slight ribs in it and is really plush compared to all the others I've had. The one I had on just before it was harder and completely smooth, but I was still able to do ride 12hr days over and over without issue. See pics below - 1st is the old seat, and 2nd is the new seat.

I've only put on about 2k on the new seat and it's surprisingly more comfy than I expected and still really good for moving around when cornering. It does feel a touch wider at the inner thigh, so it changes ability to flat foot the ground vs the older seat which was more rounded near the lower front. My only dislike about these seats is that with constant sliding around on the seat with abrasive textile, the stitching near the crotch of the seat tends to fray after around 100k of aggressive use. If that area could be smooth with no stitching then problem solved.

2010%20DL650-X3.jpg

2020060411094120-7710561314176575214-IMG_3326-X5.jpg

Last edited:
I had the Terry Adcox seat on mine and that worked well. I tried a RDL but it made the bike too tall for me. Tried the Corbin Canyon and did not work for me - wanted a Sargent which I think really has the tech down.
Considering a Shad Comfort seat for the CBF1000. There are lots of used seats floating through the Vstrom community ....zilch in the CBF as never in the US and not enough in Canada. It's a temp bike anyways....must....not....splurge. ?

First off - nice bike.
In the past, I've always had the harder Corbin's and always been really happy with them on a variety of bikes. I've always managed to find them as newer used seats for around $200-$300. I think I've always had the ones called the dual canyon, but it seems there are some differences in finish between them. The one I just put on has some slight ribs in it and is really plush compared to all the others I've had. The one I had on just before it was harder and completely smooth, but I was still able to do ride 12hr days over and over without issue. See pics below - 1st is the old seat, and 2nd is the new seat.

I've only put on about 2k on the new seat and it's surprisingly more comfy than I expected and still really good for moving around when cornering. It does feel a touch wider at the inner thigh, so it changes ability to flat foot the ground vs the older seat which was more rounded near the lower front. My only dislike about these seats is that with constant sliding around on the seat with abrasive textile, the stitching near the crotch of the seat tends to fray after around 100k of aggressive use. If that area could be smooth with no stitching then problem solved.

2010%20DL650-X3.jpg

2020060411094120-7710561314176575214-IMG_3326-X5.jpg
Love the decal on the bike there. canyon dual sport is exactly the seat i was looking at. Thanks for the good info and advice. 1592490016610.png

Great seat, had one on my previous bike (BMW F800r) but it was prior to them having the pleated surface. It was their black carbon leather seat so I would slide around initially until I got used to it.

Must have put 60k on that seat and looked almost new when I sold it.

The seat must have added 10 lbs to the bike.

D1E25640-4490-4AEE-A23B-908AC7ABD9B0.jpeg

1592496109830.png
I ride on one of these. Felt a bit weird in the beginning, but it's really easy on the butt.

The only complaint I have it the micro-suede fabric. It holds a lot of water when it gets wet.

I hate you all...I want to go too but am stuck out west! Good luck on the ride and be safe. Looking forward to an update.

Back
Top Bottom