Suggestions for an "around town" boot? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Suggestions for an "around town" boot?

coyo

Site Supporter
I'm guilty of being an ATGATT rider, although I do have 2 levels;
1- out to RIDE I'm in 2 piece leathers, gauntlets and boots.
2- commuting to work or running around town for whatever reason I'm in a leather jacket with D3O armour, Draggin Jeans, gloves, boots... you get the picture.

I wear Sidi Vertibra's when I'm wearing the 2 piece however I have a cheaper pair of motorcycle boots for the commute... except you get what you pay for and they're coming apart after little over a year.

I'm looking to see what others are wearing and finding functional and comfortable not only on the bike but also while walking around. I'm leaning towards the Sidi Apex as it's higher then most riding shoes-3/4 boots but not so high as to be uncomfortable. I like quality and comfort of the Sidi's I have now so figure the Apex won't be far off as it's similar however it's Sidi's thin soles that has me concerned if I'm wandering around all day in them.

What other options are people using for riding AND walking?

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1006/i/thor-motocross-50-50-boots

i picked up these as my first biker boots for a steal back 3 years ago. i put some insoles in them just for extra comfort. I find that they are comfortable all day log and are water proof.

i climbed inglis falls in them. The other option is just to get some nice hiking boots or something. Unless your looking for something specifically motorcyclish

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1006/i/thor-motocross-50-50-boots

i picked up these as my first biker boots for a steal back 3 years ago. i put some insoles in them just for extra comfort. I find that they are comfortable all day log and are water proof.

i climbed inglis falls in them. The other option is just to get some nice hiking boots or something. Unless your looking for something specifically motorcyclish

I'm looking for more protection than a pair of hiking boots can afford. The Thor's look interesting and in clicking that link, have revealed a few others that I hadn't looked at, although they all have MX buckles and I'm not sure I want that. Thanks for the info.

The other option is just to get some nice hiking boots or something. Unless your looking for something specifically motorcyclish

I use the very light metal free 6in. Kodiak Trek work boot. Very comfy and , looks wise, could pass for a hiker. $125 @ Lawlor Safety with the automatic 10% discount. I have no affiliation.

I'm looking for more protection than a pair of hiking boots can afford. The Thor's look interesting and in clicking that link, have revealed a few others that I hadn't looked at, although they all have MX buckles and I'm not sure I want that. Thanks for the info.

I have never had an issue with the buckles. i like them but like i said i paid almost nothing for them.

Icon Reign boots....cheap, waterproof, comfortable on and off the bike..

I have never had an issue with the buckles. i like them but like i said i paid almost nothing for them.

Thanks, I'll look into those and that style. In searching info on them I'm finding many using shorty MX or ATV boots for commuting / walking.

Icon Reign boots....cheap, waterproof, comfortable on and off the bike..

I'd be concerned about;
1- they've got a waterproof inner... how breathable are they in the summer, and
2- they're Icon... I've seen a lot of Icon stuff falling apart and / or failing in a get off. That said, I've never owned any Icon.

I'd be concerned about;
1- they've got a waterproof inner... how breathable are they in the summer, and
2- they're Icon... I've seen a lot of Icon stuff falling apart and / or failing in a get off. That said, I've never owned any Icon.

1. I wore it all summer...it gets hot but not like you're gonna start sweating your feet...
2. It's in the car (-18 outside)..so far so good
3. you can't wear it for hrs on end...it gets tight
4. It's water proof 100%...wore it in the rain storm...came home wet except had perfectly dry feet
5. Not good for fall riding...( unless maybe if you are wearing wool socks or something..)

My unscientific belief is the ankle high boots are no more protective than a regular hiking boot. If you're going in that direction, might as well get a nice looking hiking boot. Rideapart has a good article where they outline the various injuries you are likely to get, tibia and fibula were at the top (http://rideapart.com/2013/12/body-parts-will-likely-injure-motorcycle-crash/2/)

I currently have a set of BMW Allround boots, decently comfortable for walking around, waterproof, and not terribly hot either. Nowhere near as comfy as a regular shoe though

Last edited:
Thanks for the details!

1. I wore it all summer...it gets hot but not like you're gonna start sweating your feet...
2. It's in the car (-18 outside)..so far so good
3. you can't wear it for hrs on end...it gets tight
4. It's water proof 100%...wore it in the rain storm...came home wet except had perfectly dry feet
5. Not good for fall riding...( unless maybe if you are wearing wool socks or something..)

Depending on your price range, you could check out Forma. Most of their street/touring boots are conservatively styled, so they'll fit in with casual/work wear.

I've been wearing a pair of Voyage Touring boots for a while. Decent comfort and protection from a light touring boot. Competent in all weather conditions without real maintenance. While not racing boot protective, they left me with bruises, rather than breaks, during those occasional lapses in judgement.

Depending on your price range, you could check out Forma. Most of their street/touring boots are conservatively styled, so they'll fit in with casual/work wear.

LOTS of models, not too much to describe the differences. Where'd you get them?

Gaerne Balance or Forma Adventure would be my top picks for boots that are also comfy to walk in and waterproof.

When i go for an around the town boot, i like to take Richmond st then up Yonge and back down Bayview.
cruisin2.gif

I don't have a lot of cash, so I've been making-do. For boots this season I've been wearing my 14 hole Doc Martens from high school. I stopped wearing them because they're too small to walk in now, but to sit down in they're just fine because your foot slides back. And hey, actually Made in England eh?

Good leather, welted sole. Comes up nearly to your knee. You feel protected.

Downside is leather isn't waterproof and the laces take all day. So much so that I cheat a lot and only lace up about 8 and stop. It did mean I didn't need to buy boots my first season.

I do need better and my criteria will be for something that can handle water as well as being walkable. The water criteria will mean synthetic for me.

The boots I mentioned are genuine, non synthetic, and very high quality- the Gaerne Oiled Balance boots are the type of boots you can expect to last 10's of yrs, with welted replaceable sole, super high quality leatherwork with only 7 pieces of leather making up the entire boot. Most boots use many pieces of leather, or more often, Lorica or some type of even lower quality synthetic leather.- less pieces makes a better, more comfortable boot, with fewer seams, more comfort. Also includes a breathable waterproof liner- of course it isn't a cheap boot, but oozes quality.
2008_Gaerne_Balance_Oiled_Boot_Brown.jpg

Back
Top Bottom