Stopping the bike ASAP by laying bike down or use both brakes? Emergency Situation | Page 10 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Stopping the bike ASAP by laying bike down or use both brakes? Emergency Situation

This thread is great. I hope sushii has thick skin for a girl lolololol

Was it caboose who came up with the calculations that proved how the most braking force/stopping power is when the brakes are being applied so hard that the back tire is off the ground but as close to the ground as it can possibly be?

I dunno I think you're hillarious, after talking to the people i am paid to talk to it doesn't surprise me that you would have to tell some one not to stick their dick in the toaster so having to tell them that braking effectively works better than crashing to avoid crashing is no surprise to me.

It saddens me to say I believe you.

he is comparing cars to bikes, and any bike can lock up its tires, that means the brakes are good enough. its about amount of contact with the ground at that point.

Care yo show your math?

This thread is great. I hope sushii has thick skin for a girl lolololol

Was it caboose who came up with the calculations that proved how the most braking force/stopping power is when the brakes are being applied so hard that the back tire is off the ground but as close to the ground as it can possibly be?

Yup. I imagine that's still floating around here somewhere.

Another way of describing lockup is that the brakes seize. That's not a positive attribute for brakes. I could lock up a wheel using a stick between the spokes, but a stick is not a good braking device.

So no, it's not only about contact patch and the ability to lock the wheel. Strong brakes play an important role.
Actually, if considering from point of view of physics... Stopping means reducing kinetic energy of a moving object to zero (mv*v)/2->0 Breaking is a way of transformation of kinetic energy into heat, therefore, yes, the size and number of disks, the breaks cooling/ventiation system, the contact area and type of robber, the pressing at the contact surfaces etc is of great importance to effectiveness of breaking. Therefore, just a wheel locking doesn't give any effect...

Coming back to original question: I agree, that sliding is not the way of faster stopping... it won't work at all, if just jumping from a bike at 100kph... but if you already breaking, and the most part of speed was reduced and you already moving with a negative acceleration... at some point it might safe the life, guess... just guess.

The point is that the reason a car can outbrake a bike is because of its bigger tires and larger surface area touching the ground, not its "better" brakes.

That's debatable too. What car, what bike? Anyways that beat up thread is a dead horse now.
I would agree with fastar: the effectiveness of breaks is not only " because of its bigger tires and larger surface area touching the ground"

Last edited:
If you are in a situation where crashing is inevitable, ie. You and the bike are going down either way, then a controlled lay down IS the safest way to go.

If you are in a situation where crashing is inevitable, ie. You and the bike are going down either way, then a controlled lay down IS the safest way to go.
One of the points of the video was that there was no such thing as a controlled lay down.
Once you fall off the bike, you've given up all control of yourself and the bike.

Thanks for settling it gtm. All those facts and rational statements from people who say it's idiotic were just confusing, glad someone could come on here and just tell me what's what.

Thanks for settling it gtm. All those facts and rational statements from people who say it's idiotic were just confusing, glad someone could come on here and just tell me what's what.

You're welcome. However, I believe you, much like the previous poster, misread my statement.

You are certainly not going to stop any faster than by using your brakes. However, as I said, if the circumstances are that you are not able to brake, or avoid crashing by any evasive maneuvers, giving rise to a situation where you are certainly going to crash, then a controlled lay down will always offer the better outcome over pulling the coveted superman and plastering your face into a veritable wall. There is a reason the technique is taught.

Last edited:
You're welcome. However, I believe you, much like the previous poster, misread my statement.

You are certainly not going to stop any faster than by using your brakes. However, as I said, if the circumstances are that you are not able to brake, or avoid crashing by any evasive maneuvers, giving rise to a situation where you are certainly going to crash, then a controlled lay down will always offer the better outcome over pulling the coveted superman and plastering your face into a veritable wall. There is a reason the technique is taught.

The reason the technique is "taught" (not by any recognize school of instruction, by the way, because, after all, how does one teach someone how to crash to avoid crashing?) is because there are ill informed people that think they know better telling newer riders this is a good idea. I suggest those people might want to read the majority of posts on the last ten pages and realize this is REALLY BAD ADVICE.

You might want to read it too.

Back
Top Bottom