Stopping the bike ASAP by laying bike down or use both brakes? Emergency Situation | Page 8 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Stopping the bike ASAP by laying bike down or use both brakes? Emergency Situation

Its only counts as a hit & run if the other car hit you. What if there was no collision involved? Just you trying to avoid the other drive.

That's one of the ****** parts of riding a motorcycle. From a legal standpoint its better to hit the car than it is to avoid it and crash doing so.

That's one of the ****** parts of riding a motorcycle. From a legal standpoint its better to hit the car than it is to avoid it and crash doing so.

Even if its clearly shown on video that you would've lost your life if you haven't done what you did?

Even if its clearly shown on video that you would've lost your life if you haven't done what you did?
I've always heard the same. The same applies to cars. If you don't actually hit another vehicle it's no ones fault but your own. In those cases you're lucky if you walk away without charges.

Yup.

Just among riders i know in the "real world" I know half a dozen that crashed while trying to avoid a crash and the other driver took off. None on video though. That may help you but hitting the other car is still your best option (from a "cover your ***" legal POV)

yeah i'm talking in real life, when ever you post people go "wtf? why is this guy giving advice, he doesn't know how to ride."

Posting on the internet is NOT real life.

Again, your judging people on their online activities.

Everytime you post in one of my threads, its always "you dont know how to ride because you crashed two times in your first season and some of your threads gets moved to the trash." or " blah blah blah you dont know how to ride, shut up, your wrong, your stupid." because that is the impression i'm getting.

How about basing my riding skills on something more solid? Just because i crashed two times does not mean i suck at riding, just because i have threads that are in the treash does not mean i suck at riding.

Last edited:
Posting on the internet is NOT real life.

Again, your judging people on their online activities.

Everytime you post in one of my threads, its always "you dont know how to ride because you crashed two times in your first season and some of your threads gets moved to the trash." or " blah blah blah you dont know how to ride, shut up"

How about basing my riding skills on something more solid? Just because i crashed two times does not mean i suck at riding, just because i have threads that are in the treash does not mean i suck at riding.

I think she's getting at the fact that more than a handful of people have this opinion of you...I"m gonna give ppl the benefit that some of them have ridden with you. Not everyone just comes up with an opinion based on what you post on the internet.

I think she's getting at the fact that more than a handful of people have this opinion of you...I"m gonna give ppl the benefit that some of them have ridden with you. Not everyone just comes up with an opinion based on what you post on the internet.

Shes saying as though everyone that i've ridden with says i suck at riding. "Words go around".

Yup.

Just among riders i know in the "real world" I know half a dozen that crashed while trying to avoid a crash and the other driver took off. None on video though. That may help you but hitting the other car is still your best option (from a "cover your ***" legal POV)

Do whatever you have to first and worry about the the legal stuff later.

I'm just gonna say it: I don't think I have the "skill" to just throw my bike into a lowside in a pinch like that. Sure I could lock up the rear, no problem, and I could probably get it sliding out enough to go down, sure. Would it be controlled? Nope. Would it be in time enough to avoid the impending death? Nope

I'll stick to swerving and emergency braking, something we've all practiced many times

blah-blah-blah

outcome the first:
iblah-blah-blah

outcome the second:
blah-blah-blah

outcome the third:
blah-blah-blah. Ya it might work out ok for the rider but it's risky. blah-blah-blah

blah-blah-blah ?

Well... RIDING IS RISKY(period)
That's the initial point...

and what the rider gonna be worrying about in a particular hazard situation (his/her own life, starches on bike plastic, robber quality, insurance surcharges or either) will depend only on him/her.

I'm just gonna say it: I don't think I have the "skill" to just throw my bike into a lowside in a pinch like that.

Really you just have to jump off the bike.

I think people with dirt riding experience are interpreting this bailing situation differently than others. In the dirt there are times where you will bail to avoid a tree or going into the bushes and it saves your ***. Your body will just do it because it knows there are no other options.

The best way you can protect yourself on the street is to practice emergency braking and swerving extensively and have good control of your bike. Then you are much less likely to lose control, because ultimately all this "laying down" is about not being able to get the bike to do what you want it do (either because of lack of skills or because the situation combined with the laws of physics makes it impossible) so you bail.

I don't see how anyone can be calculating enough in that situation to worry about insurance or legalities when your *** is on the line.

Am I the only one that has thought while reading this thread that if you have to consider doing this as a viable option of saving yourself, you're ride way too fast to begin with? That, or your focus is not on the crap around you?

I'm not absolute in thinking that it'll never happen (emergency situation), but if I've gotten to the point where i feel that highspeed emergency braking isn't sufficient, then I'd re-examine my riding in general.

Am I the only one that has thought while reading this thread that if you have to consider doing this as a viable option of saving yourself, you're ride way too fast to begin with? That, or your focus is not on the crap around you?

I'm not absolute in thinking that it'll never happen (emergency situation), but if I've gotten to the point where i feel that highspeed emergency braking isn't sufficient, then I'd re-examine my riding in general.

But the whole point of having a motorcycle is going fast :(

P.S For those that can't cant that i'm being sarcastic... well i am.

yeah i'm talking in real life, when ever you post people go "wtf? why is this guy giving advice, he doesn't know how to ride."
I rode with him, you are right.

read all 4 pages got a really good laugh but i have yet to see people consider this.

yes tires and brakes are made for stopping and people think rubber and brakes stop faster BUT

- brakes and tires have to stop NOT ONLY the rider, but also the bike ITSELF. so rider 160 lbs and bike 400 lbs.
- if rider jumps off, thru sliding and rolling, the rider only needs to stop himself.

so why do people think brakes can stop faster? i think this topic is more about staying ALIVE. in an emergency situation, which gives you a higher chance of survival, staying on the brakes OR jumping ship?

- on the brakes, the brakes will need to stop the entire mass of the rider and bike, approx. weight 560 lbs.
- lay it down, rider just needs to stop his own body

in case of the stunt video, it's obvious that he can't brake in time. if he stayed on the brakes his front wheel will hit and the bike might endo. he might land on his head/face. if he swerves the bike hard, he could still hit something else. so seems like laying the bike down was the safest option.

Professor Julius Sumner Miller once told me that the force of gravity pulls the mass of both the bike and the rider towards the centre of the earth at 9.8 m/s squared. It doesn't pull either of them forward. Mass cancels out on a flat surface. That is why some cars, trucks and bigger bikes can out brake some smaller bikes.

Last edited:
before this turns into more of a **** on Sushii thread, Sushii you need to get some training under your belt, giving out advice based on you improperly using emergency techniques and watching techniques used for stunts. if you notice in the stunt they say the technique is very dangerous. they also go and change the the substrate from concrete/asphalt to sand to make it more slippery and fill in the cracks with sand. if the bike tires happen to grab while the rider is in the slide there is a good chance of high siding (remember amazon mentioning that's how she high sided?). the technique may be something you might practice in the dirt but with the brakes and tires we have today you're better off trying to stop with the braking equipment and not your skin/leather.

do your self a favour. sign up for the intermediate training offered by the various schools, sign up for a racer5 track day. get some instruction

Back
Top Bottom