Stocks | Page 90 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Stocks

Buying more and more ETFs. Bought some GME because why not
0_0

Will see how next week goes this week was brutal but it usually goes up shortly after.

Sent using a thumb maybe 2

The current mass migration to bonds is in anticipation of a raise in interest rates by the U.S. Fed. How much they raise them will determine what happens. But...if the rate rise is only marginal there likely will be a stampede back into stocks. A big interest rate rise would see more of a slide in stock prices. Roll the dice.

I don't see Spotify or Netflix or Shopify as hot growth stocks anymore. They are roughly in the same basket as AAPL or MSFT now. I stopped looking at things recently, will just ride this out. Playing the airlines tired me out.

Saw a post of Reddit claiming a 20:1 stock split for GOOGLE in the works for shareholder approval.

Guess that stock is going to rocket up fast.

Saw a post of Reddit claiming a 20:1 stock split for GOOGLE in the works for shareholder approval.

Guess that stock is going to rocket up fast.
You're probably right and man are people ever dumb. Stock splits should not affect market cap (but they do).

You're probably right and man are people ever dumb. Stock splits should not affect market cap (but they do).
If I understand it correctly, and please correct me if I'm wrong....

1 stock at $1000 becomes 20 stocks @ $50/each?

Depending on the activity that day, it'll be a good opportunity for people (like me) to buy up some stocks. Or just buy 1 stock now...and then let it split and now have 20 of that stock so that it all grows.

If I understand it correctly, and please correct me if I'm wrong....

1 stock at $1000 becomes 20 stocks @ $50/each?

Depending on the activity that day, it'll be a good opportunity for people (like me) to buy up some stocks. Or just buy 1 stock now...and then let it split and now have 20 of that stock so that it all grows.
That's all it is. People look and say $50 is cheaper than $1000 so it's a good time to buy. Most stocks try to hover around $100 (there are some notable exceptions like BRK.A at $471,000 per share). Smaller pieces does facilitate DRIP as most people arent getting $1000 in dividend per period but $50 is much more attainable.

Cool thanks. Will have to check how to buy US stocks with QT then. I've only bought CAD / TSX offerings.

Cool thanks. Will have to check how to buy US stocks with QT then. I've only bought CAD / TSX offerings.
Dont go in and out often if qt doesnt hold us cash. Exchange rate will kill you. If you are buying a dividend stock put it in the right account to minimize tax (eg us doesnt recognize tfsa so you get taxed at source).

A stock split on the surface should not cause the stock to go up as it does not change marketcap like GG said. Really fundamentals don't change like PE etc. But.....

In many cases the reason for the split is to reduce price so retail investors can afford it, so it increases demand. It seems odd but maybe now can afford one or two shares, after the split they can afford fractions of the pre-split price. There is also a purely psychological aspect with regards to the price of things, risk, etc. May also impact a DRIP in some cases.

In the case of GOOG or similar, it may open up getting listed on the DOW. This will force additional index funds that track the DOW to buy the stock, more demand on an even larger scale.

Pretty good way to risk your house if you don't know what you're doing.
That's smith manoeuvre. Norberts gambit is a way to save on currency conversion. Your house is not involved in any way.

Someone even published a step by step for questrade for you.

Back
Top Bottom