Stocks | Page 16 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Stocks

Currently looking into ARC Resources LTD. Decent dividend of 10c per share. The stock has been very steady and hasn't had any rock bottoms per se. I'm thinking I might invest a thousand into this. They seem to pay dividends monthly so if I buy 45 shares that means 4.5 bucks a month (if I calculated that correctly)

But I'm not relying solely on dividends, based on what I see from the charts these guys go through some booms. I just gotta wait.

Also I have 314 dollars in my US investing account. Is now a good time to change that currency to Canadian or should I wait for something in particular such as if the US dollar gets stronger or whatever.

Last edited:
Currently looking into ARC Resources LTD. Decent dividend of 10c per share. The stock has been very steady and hasn't had any rock bottoms per se. I'm thinking I might invest a thousand into this. They seem to pay dividends monthly so if I buy 45 shares that means 4.5 bucks a month (if I calculated that correctly)

But I'm not relying solely on dividends, based on what I see from the charts these guys go through some booms. I just gotta wait.

Also I have 314 dollars in my US investing account. Is now a good time to change that currency to Canadian or should I wait for something in particular such as if the US dollar gets stronger or whatever.

IMO classic case of over paying dividen at the expense of reinvestment.

What does your chart say about a base for CXV?
(I've yet to learn technicals & symbols ).

Hard to identify a base with a stock that's only been trading for a couple of months. It's been in overbought territory since IPO except for a few days inbetween. Good buy in at .35 (March 15). I may roll the dice if it dips close to .6 or below in the next month or so. 7M volume is not too shabby if you want to dump a few thousand shares quickly.

Last edited:
IMO classic case of over paying dividen at the expense of reinvestment.
That's what I was thinking too. I don't plan on staying too long, maybe collect enough dividends to pay off commission or sell when there's a surge in the stock

I'm also looking at rbc which pays a 75 cent dividend but is more stable and frankly isn't a company which really relies on reinvesting.

That's what I was thinking too. I don't plan on staying too long, maybe collect enough dividends to pay off commission or sell when there's a surge in the stock

I'm also looking at rbc which pays a 75 cent dividend but is more stable and frankly isn't a company which really relies on reinvesting.

Have a look at Enbridge - EEP

Have a look at Enbridge - EEP
Looks steady, but it looks like it is also at a peak for now at least and I'd have to wait for it to go down a bit and I also want try a stock that pays a dividend to see how it is and if it is worth it

Why not steer the fellow towards Linn Energy? (LINE - nasdaq)
Stock price is lower. Dividend is nearly double. (11%)

Boots: I hope you are doing your trading within your TFSA?
Not sure what you're asking. RBC has its own "Direct investing" section where you transfer money from checkings, savings, etc.

Unless you're asking if I'm using money I would otherwise have in a tfsa then yes that's what I'm doing. But as far as I know you have to transfer funds to the direct investing account in order to trade.

Not sure what you're asking. RBC has its own "Direct investing" section where you transfer money from checkings, savings, etc.

Unless you're asking if I'm using money I would otherwise have in a tfsa then yes that's what I'm doing. But as far as I know you have to transfer funds to the direct investing account in order to trade.

If you're not trading within your TFSA, you're going to pay around 35% tax on you dividends. If you are collecting dividends on US stock, it's even more than 35%.
If you open up a trading account within your TFSA, you don't pay ANY tax. None. Zero. Zilch.
Why give 35% to the band of thieves / govt?

I have 4 trading accounts.
1) TFSA
2) Registered
3) Non-Registered.
4) Non-Registered at 2nd bank.

If you're not trading within your TFSA, you're going to pay around 35% tax on you dividends. If you are collecting dividends on US stock, it's even more than 35%.
If you open up a trading account within your TFSA, you don't pay ANY tax. None. Zero. Zilch.

1) TFSA
2) Registered
3) Non-Registered.

++1

Yeah Boots. Money grows tax free inside the TFSA. And with the amount you've said your investing, well below your deposit limit.

Also, and Gary correct me if I am wrong, but Gary's list is also in order you should be opening them. (1&2 can arguably be interchanged) start with #1, when you hit max limit, go to #2 etc.

1) TFSA
2) Registered
3) Non-Registered.
How do I both trade and use the tfsa with the same money on rbc if you know how?

How do I both trade and use the tfsa with the same money on rbc if you know how?

Open a trading account within your TFSA. Same way you opened your trading account that you currently use, except, the transactions are tax free. (still must pay commish)
The limit as of this year is over $30,000 ($5500 / yr).
Something to keep in mind:
If you have losses in your regular trading account (outside TFSA) you can claim capital losses at tax time.
These losses can be used in the future (or past) to offset any capital gains (which you have already, i.e. the $100 you made). Gains are better than losses, obviously, but taxes still must be accounted for.
If you experience a loss within a TFSA trading account, there's no claiming it. The reverse - no taxes are dues on ANY gains.

I'm not sure what makes them so attractive but I will blindly trust the motorcycling e-community on this one. 1500 shares @ 0.67.

#gambol

Nice buy. New high set yesterday, and again today. Doesn't get much better.
Wish I had bought a few thousand.

Had a bunch get called away last Friday (options expiration), then with today being a down day for most things, I started buying back and writing at-the-money calls again ... Gold stock that I own (AEM) didn't get called away (the call options that I had sold against it expired worthless) and today was an up day for that, so I wrote call options against it again for next month ...

I've never heard that term before what does it mean for something to get called away? In laymens terms

Back
Top Bottom