Staying in shape during corona | Page 9 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Staying in shape during corona

Anybody have a good link with pictures video for form in doing some of the exercises?

There are tons and tons out there on youtube etc. but I can't tell if they're doing it correctly.

Specifically, Shoulder press, Front raises, Side raises, Rear delt flies for now.
Most important thing (iirc) for front and side raises is not to go more than 90 degrees from your body.
That could lead to shoulder injuries.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Most important thing (iirc) for front and side raises is not to go more than 90 degrees from your body.
That could lead to shoulder injuries.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Just gonna add to also pull shoulders back as well.

There's also no reason (agreeing with you) to go past 90 degrees because at that point you're doing a retarded shoulder press with a bunch of pinched muscles and **** tons unnecessary stress on your wrists (which are weak as ****.)

Last edited:
Anybody have a good link with pictures video for form in doing some of the exercises?

There are tons and tons out there on youtube etc. but I can't tell if they're doing it correctly.

Specifically, Shoulder press, Front raises, Side raises, Rear delt flies for now.

Imo, videos are only 50% useful. The other 50% is the theory.

For example, squat, bench, and deadlifts share a common trait: full body compound. This means that every muscle activates with every rep.

Bench, for example, involves flexing your quads and driving from your legs. Your core will also be flexed. Your lats will be activated to stabilize the lift. You won't see this in videos because people don't lift naked but anyone lifting 1.25x or more of their bodyweight would've noticed this (or they wouldn't be lifting that heavy.)

Good luck.

I'm hoping gyms open up soon. Really they could have stayed open in the first place. For the most part, people tend to be socially distanced and in their own world anyway at a gym. Just keep up with cleaning and heavily emphasize things that are already etiquette, like wipe downs.

Many gyms may never re-open as it is. Between leases on huge properties, then add equipment lease or financing. I wonder what Goodlife's financials look like right now.

I'm hoping gyms open up soon. Really they could have stayed open in the first place. For the most part, people tend to be socially distanced and in their own world anyway at a gym. Just keep up with cleaning and heavily emphasize things that are already etiquette, like wipe downs.

Many gyms may never re-open as it is. Between leases on huge properties, then add equipment lease or financing. I wonder what Goodlife's financials look like right now.
I’d say most are fine as they’re not being used and they’re not refunding money last I read. So the monthly payments continue.

id say gyms aren’t coming back for a while. You’ve got sweaty people, sharing equipment, lockers, washrooms and majority don’t do a proper wipe down....I wouldn’t feel comfortable in a gym for a good long while.

I know that fit4less paused memberships and stopped taking payments as soon as they made the decision to close. I'd assume goodlife went the same route, since they own f4l

Might have mentioned this earlier but I find walking/running up and down stairs while carrying kettlebells is a pretty great exercise, more effective and challenging than even running I find

I know that fit4less paused memberships and stopped taking payments as soon as they made the decision to close. I'd assume goodlife went the same route, since they own f4l
I hope so but I’ve heard a bunch of gyms kept taking payments. Maybe that’s changed with extension of closure.

Article on gyms. It is quite clear most of them dont get it. Installing eye height partitions between stations in a row of treadmills is going to do just slightly more than nothing. To control spread with people breathing heavily you probably meed to control airflow like it's a paint booth. Ideally updraft or downdraft everything but that likely is logistically infeasible so cross draft at approx head height to pull all breath into filter.

Then they get all excited about installing magic products on door handles to control the spread. What about the 900 other things people touch at the gym that dont have the magic product on them?

Realistically, to open a gym, I suspect the workout station model is the best. Basically a room with weights/benches/whatever in it that you use for your time at the gym. When you leave, they spray the room down. Each room has a filtered exhaust fan.

Article on gyms. It is quite clear most of them dont get it. Installing eye height partitions between stations in a row of treadmills is going to do just slightly more than nothing. To control spread with people breathing heavily you probably meed to control airflow like it's a paint booth. Ideally updraft or downdraft everything but that likely is logistically infeasible so cross draft at approx head height to pull all breath into filter.

Then they get all excited about installing magic products on door handles to control the spread. What about the 900 other things people touch at the gym that dont have the magic product on them?

Realistically, to open a gym, I suspect the workout station model is the best. Basically a room with weights/benches/whatever in it that you use for your time at the gym. When you leave, they spray the room down. Each room has a filtered exhaust fan.

My first recommendation is to have a hard rule...no mask...GTFO. Every study/article I'm seeing is that it helps with the spread. Hell you can see it as a training tool in the gym as there are training masks also.

Outside of that, sanitation sanitation sanitation. Get rid of the locker rooms, and you eliminate a lot of the issues. If you get caught breaking any of the rules, get out and don't come back. People fall in line pretty fast when there are actual consequences to their selfish actions. The ones that don't, let them go elsewhere.

If tomorrow the government stated 'wear masks everywhere' and we can speed up opening up, I'm all for it.

My first recommendation is to have a hard rule...no mask...GTFO. Every study/article I'm seeing is that it helps with the spread. Hell you can see it as a training tool in the gym as there are training masks also.

Outside of that, sanitation sanitation sanitation. Get rid of the locker rooms, and you eliminate a lot of the issues. If you get caught breaking any of the rules, get out and don't come back. People fall in line pretty fast when there are actual consequences to their selfish actions. The ones that don't, let them go elsewhere.

If tomorrow the government stated 'wear masks everywhere' and we can speed up opening up, I'm all for it.
Good point. So far I haven't seen too many people wearing masks with the exhaust valve. They are much more comfortable but defeat almost the entire purpose for corona as the main benefit is keeping the virus in. I thought the oxygen deprivation masks had an exhaust valve?

Good point. So far I haven't seen too many people wearing masks with the exhaust valve. They are much more comfortable but defeat almost the entire purpose for corona as the main benefit is keeping the virus in. I thought the oxygen deprivation masks had an exhaust valve?
No clue about oxygen deprivation masks or masks in general for working out. Just seen some people with them for riding/jogging so figure it could be an example to be used. But if it has an exhaust valve, may be a useless mask. There are other masks, use those and you're free to go wherever you want so long as it's open. And stores / businesses should be more militant in dealing with this. No shoes, no shirt, no mask, GTFO. You don't like it, here's your ban to our store. COSTCO can easily remove membership. Anyway back on topic...working out!

ive ordered some with a valve...but in between the valve and...my mouth.... there's also a filter.
So it goes, mouth, inner liner, filter, outer liner, valve. I'm guessing where the valve is, there's no outer liner making it easier to not fog up as much

Here are other things that are being worked on:

Get it to spray every few hours and you probably can reduce some spread. I've been saying i gotta learn how to get to fly these things for a while and that another good application of it.

Why do people insist on treadmills?

I understand in sub-zero temps because ice is a *****, but part of working out is gaining the mental fortitude to understand, accept, and adapt to your failures/weaknesses. Running in really cold or really hot temps builds this. Running in the rain (or even better, rain, hail, then snow all on the same day during Tough Mudder 2013) is even more epic because it feels like I'm ******* Vegeta (will to get stronger) from Dragon Ball Z trying to surpass Goku (actualized state.)

So why do people insist on being a hamster instead of Vegeta? You can run outdoors right now and run the **** away from anyone you see to social distance too! Then the issue w/ gyms being too dumb to get it goes away too.

Now if you're powerlifting.....well, you're ****** unless you get a home gym for now.

No clue about oxygen deprivation masks or masks in general for working out.

It's for specialized training. Those who plan to climb Mt Everest for example would benefit immensely from oxygen deprivation training because that's literally how you'll be breathing.

It's similar to training for an ultra (100km, 100miles, there's no standard but it's insane). Most ultras will involve weather that is meant to **** you. How some ppl train for this is to run with winter jacket on if it's 20 degrees so you stimulate hot-as-**** weather.

Now if ppl are doing this for the hell of it or because it looks cool.....what the **** lol, to each their own!

Last edited:

I understand in sub-zero temps because ice is a *****, but part of working out is gaining the mental fortitude to understand, accept, and adapt to your failures/weaknesses. Running in really cold or really hot temps builds this. Running in the rain (or even better, rain, hail, then snow all on the same day during Tough Mudder 2013) is even more epic because it feels like I'm ******* Vegeta (will to get stronger) from Dragon Ball Z trying to surpass Goku (actualized state.)

So why do people insist on being a hamster instead of Vegeta? You can run outdoors right now and run the **** away from anyone you see to social distance too! Then the issue w/ gyms being too dumb to get it goes away too.

Now if you're powerlifting.....well, you're ****** unless you get a home gym for now.
More people than you know dont like running outdoors. Another big huge enormous aspect of running outdoors that i was completely oblivious to... is women running alone. They get catcalled, they get followed, especially if its a less busy area (which is where you'd wanna run to maintain distancing). Hearing of all the precautions they take (running with keys in their hands as pokes, not running with earbuds, carrying pepper spray) is something ive never thought of even on my 11PM runs by myself.

And then the treadmill is also less harsh on the joints for those people who have these kinds of issues. And its easier to keep pace

Sure resilience is a great thing to build...but some ppl don't give a d@mn and just want to get their workout in ahaha

Because some people don't care about building up for endurance races, Tough Mudders, ultra marathons or what not.
Safety is a concern. My MIL won't go for walks on her own because she's scared of something happening as she continues to recover from her heart attack.
Treadmill it is for our house.

Back
Top Bottom